Starz Cancels ‘Magic City’ After Two Seasons

Starz TV

Net offered hefty commitment to the drama, but it failed to attract an aud

The lights are set to go out on “Magic City,” as Starz pulls the plug on the period drama after two seasons.

The finale episode of “Magic City” will air Friday.

Announcement arrives on the heels of Starz head Chris Albrecht stating at the pay TV net’s TCA session that the fate of “Magic City” would be determined by the performance of its closing season two episodes.

“’Magic City’ will be concluding its two-season run on Starz with Friday’s series finale,” Starz said in a statement. “We are tremendously proud of the series and everyone involved. From the writers, to the cast and crew, it has been an incredible collaboration. This was a story born from Mitch Glazer’s singular vision of Miami, the Magic City of his childhood, and we are grateful to him for bringing it to life on Starz. The season’s story arc will allow us to deliver a satisfying conclusion to the series, and we thank all the fans who checked in to the Miramar Playa.”

“Magic City” was the first program to ever be ordered directly to series by Starz, and the paybler showed serious investment in it as it renewed the Miami-set drama for a second run before the show had even debuted. Glazer’s drama, however, failed to attract a substantial audience, topping out at 500,000 viewers during its most-watched episodes.

1. Mari Y. says:

I am very disappointed with the cancellation of Magic City. I will cancel my Starz subscription immediately. I guess Starz doesn’t know a meaning of a good show.

2. Stew says:

My wife and I have never been this upset about a show getting canceled in our lives! This show helped us get through Spartacus withdrawals. It is entertaining, riveting, great acting, great cars and god what a history lesson. Somebody blew this one. Wait a second here, so somebody at Starz thinks Young Leonardo and the White Queen are better shows than Magic City. I think somebody need’s to give up the medical Marijuana.

3. Mary Ann Malinconico says:

It was the best show on TV! Now I will be cancelling my Starz access tomorrow on Dish Network. This show could of reached new audience’s had it been advertised and promoted properly. I thought it was just as good as the HBO hit the Soprano’s.

4. RR says:

We will be canceling Starz, and I hope Starz will be canceling its marketing department. Best drama on cable and you throw it away? Extremely disappointed.

5. ccc says:

So unhappy to hear this its such a great show…

6. Susan Weitz says:

Are you serious! The best series on Television! I amd my friends have looked forward to previous Fridays at 9:00 PM to watch the next exciting episode. I am an avid fan and cannot believe that STARZ would cancel such a popular show. STARZ, PLEASE RECONSIDER AND PUT THIS TERRIFIC SERIES, MAGIC CITY, BACK ON STARZ.

7. Best show on TV, I don’t understand this. Outrageous! People don’t know anything good or worthwhile anymore. Too much reality TV. This was a beautiful well scripted drama, multilayer ed with deep plot and character arcs. How about getting it off Friday nights in the summer season? Please don’t cancel the best show on TV.

8. Frank W says:

Well, I guess I can ditch Starz now. The only reason I kept it up was for Magic City. I’m sorry I didn’t watch the show on premiere nights, I didn’t know you paid attention to those ratings. You’re a freaking cable channel, you show it over and over and then there is On Demand. Last year I binged watched the show twice.

If you renew the boring Davinci’s Demons, I know you’re crazy.

9. Lissette says:

Please say it isn’t so. I’ve never even posted anything on any website but the thought of losing IKE and the Miramar playa has moved me to take action. I’m going to post on the starz website, write a letter and even cancel my subscription. I recently discovered this gem and have been binge watching ever since. Don’t do it starz, bring it back.

• Frank W says:

I hope you saw the first year, too. It was a lot better, but I just love Jeffery Dean Morgan and Olga K together. I’ve only watched the first two episodes of this year and had been planning to binge watch the rest. This is sad. This is the only Starz show I watched. I could never get into Spartacus (though that used to be my kind of adventure movies) andthe overly hyped DaVinci’s Demons was just dull.

10. Denise says:

Great show. Doesn’t seem like Starz did much marketing for the show.

11. MYKMARMike says:

Start a write-in campaign to get STARZ executives to change their minds. It is the best series since the Sopranos finished.

• Cami Lampert says:

I think we need a petition to cancel SRARZ if they don’t listen to the thousands of people who are devasted by thier decision to cancel the best thing th was ever on T.V. I am so angry!

• My sentiments exactly, have been using the same line when referring to anyone. It truly is ….oops was…… a remarkably well done scripted drama, best since The Sopranos ended.

12. John says:

Magic City was clearly the best drama on TV. I don’t understand how shows like Scandal continue to receive rave reviews. Perhaps the show wasn’t properly placed in the right day or time slot??? I am sadden, and hope the show is picked up by another network.

13. Jonathan says:

Are you serious. How are you going to end it like that. It’s good for at least two more seasons. The Sopranos did six…..The Wire did five…….this show is better than both…..WTF??!!

14. Andrea Rotkin says:

What a disappointment to hear that Magic City is cancelled. Was looking forward to all of the characters escapades. Hopefully another network will pick it up. The acting was superb and the story so original. Please please some smart network pick this series up.

15. Gisele Cormier says:

Could not get enough of Magic City. Started watching on “On Demand TV”.
    My husband got involved….Now that is a feat of magic.
    Watched all 6 episodes in 2 nights. So, so disappointed to see it going.
    Why doesn’t another network pick it up instead of all the totally stupid reality shows that are on. Homeland was great but Magic City had the drama, great story lines, glamour, intrigue, great actors, beautiful settings and on and on and on.
    Lets all try to unite to get it going for a 3rd season….. Probably a lot of people do not know about it, that must be why they talk about low ratings…..

• Frank W says:

NO, THERE WERE 8 EPISODES–AND I WAS EXPECTING 10 (sorry, Cap Locks). The first two I thought weren’t very good, except for a scene where Ben Diamond is turned into a child by James Caan’s mob boss, but after the first two, the momentum was running. The highlight for me, to see evil Ben Diamond nervous and scared in that second episode–but we all know how that finally ended. Danny Huston was fabulous this year.

• Cami Lampert says:

Gisele: You are the fist person that said 6 episodes….I agree…..it does not seem to me that there were
      8 episodes, yet they keep saying there were. I loved the show….didn’t like waiting a year for such meager amount of episodes….but, I am disappointed and saddened beyond belief. I have signed the
      petition and sent it to my entire address book……everyone I know loved it and thanked me for telling
      them about it. The network didn’t give it a chance to get off the ground. Summer on Friday night? Not
      a winner. I am going to wait a month to see if anything happens, if not, I will get all my employees and
      friends to cancel STARZ, P.S. white queen is terrible and they put it on every night.

16. I think Magic City is a Great Show and it should continue!

17. Diana Q says:

Startz…. you’re wrong about this. Best show!

18. Ron Darrigo says:

Best show on television—either cable or network. What is the Starz network thinking of? Hopefully, a more enlightened network will pick up this great show. Until then, I agree with Frank Cueto, I will be canceling my subscription to Starz.

19. JohnB says:

I will miss the show a lot. I started watching because I like Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and then became a fan of Danny Huston as well, what a great character Ben “the Butcher” Diamond was. I could see this coming, however. So often it seemed like there was so much untapped potential there, with the series sacrificing good storytelling for a lot of unnecessary sex which was, at times, quite graphic. I really enjoyed the show but would often describe it to friends unfamiliar with it that it was kind of like watching a car wreck, something that caught your attention and difficult to turn away from. Starz could have done a better job with it, but as it was I still looked forward to each episode and will periodically watch it on dvd.

20. Stephanie says:

The only show worth watching. I will be canceling Starz

21. Bobby Jones says:

I am very let down, I enjoyed this series more than any, I just finished Orange is the New Black on Netflix and it does not compare to Magic City. I am disappointed, I signed up at Starz just for this one series so now I will discontinue my membership and I have several friends who feel the same way. I was so excited to see it renewed for second season only to be let down now, and I think this season is so improved over last. Maybe the marketing was not as it should have been for this series. Because it was fantastic and I could not wait until next episode. Starz on scale of 1 to 10, you get a 10 for giving us two seasons and a 1 for cancelling.

22. Very Disapointed in Who ever makes the Decisions at Starz TV. First, BOSS and now Magic City. Two Seasons and Done. Better marketing and time to grow is all these shows needed.

23. NIMA says:

this show is great from the stories to the charachters AND NOT TO MENTION THE ACTORS and acting. i was excited to see what would happen next !!! this is honestly sad man take off a original cool show for some of the same bullshit like ” the white queen ” we get enough of those types of shows magic city was ORIGINAL and exciting to watch each episode im very upset at this stupid ass descion BRING IT BACK !!!!

24. MYKMARMike says:

So sorry to see it end. I guess it didn’t have enough killing for a wider audience. Please take another look at the raitings and give it another chance. Everyone in the cast fitted their characters to a “T”.

25. Ruth says:

That is such a disappointing decision. I absolutely love magic city. Everyone I recommended it to became as addicted to it as I am. As compelling as Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. Please reconsider

26. Frank Cueto says:

This show was the only reason that I subscribed to STARZ ‘s channel. It’s time to cancel.

27. I am watching Magic City here in the Netherlands via HBO. I love this program!!!! I hate to see it go, pls reconsider! Elize van der Horst, Rotterdam, Hoolland

28. Pete says:

Enjoyed the show immensely and very disappointed it’s been canceled!! Having lived in South Florida most of my life it was a trip down memory lane every Friday evening. I certainly hope STARZ’s channel management reconsiders it’s decision because this one should most definitely be allowed to continue. Heck they killed the show just when everything is about to take shape !!!

29. EqualButSeperate says:

First of all this show would’ve got killed even earlier on Sunday nights. Going up against the likes of True Blood & Dexter. Second, Plenty of shows pull decent ratings on Fri. Strike Back, Spartacus, & DaVincis Demons. Third, If it would’ve been a little more diversied. It could’ve had better ratings. I know it’s an era piece but so is Boardwalk Empire.

30. Prognoviach says:

Moral of the story: don’t watch Starz. First Boss, now this? Why get into a series if there is a good chance it will get cancelled? I plan on cancelling my Starz membership and if a show that comes a long that is supposed to be good on Starz, I’ll wait a few years and see how it goes, then rent the dvd’s.

31. em says:

THIS SUCKS. I love this show so much. I feel like it was only cancel to make more room and budget for black sails which is going to bleed starz dry. Magic city had just begun to hit it’s stride. Very upset

32. pay off says:

Lets spend 7 billion P and A on Ray Donovan,,, and push it like a pimp on every corner, give it the best time slot,, and get and we wonder who is blowing who????

Another whos sleeping with who BLUNDER

33. Robin says:

Magic City is such an awesome series! The most beautiful people, clothes, the glamour of 1959, fabulous hotels and nightclubs – PLUS set in a tropical paradise filled with the most evil of gangsters, and a story which has really taken off with all kinds of gasping moments and questions to be answered Magic City’s has so much yet to offer with a 3rd, 4th, 5th seasons & more! – Miami in the 60’s! What can fans do to save “Magic City”?

34. Nat_MIA_KEEP THE MAGIC ON THE AIR says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE IT. I am in shock! This is the best series to air since the Sopranos… My husband and I would look forward to watching this show each week. I am beyond disappointed. It is such a shame.

I have to say that this show is amazing. As Miami natives, my husband and I had a great appreciation for the predominantly Cuban cast, the beautiful and authentic storyline and direction… I am at a loss for words and really, really upset right now.

Everyone who loved and appreciated Magic City should boycott Starz network until they reconsider and KEEP MAGIC CITY ON THE AIR!!!!!

35. Stephanie says:

This is total b.s. I subscribe to Starz only because Magic City is on Starz.
    It needs a 3rd season!
    I think I will start a petition or something……1 more season to close it out. Dont leave us hanging!!!!!

36. Judith Jones says:

Love this show. Please keep it on the air I wa just settling in to watch the newest episode and checked my kindle. Some of the poorest shows stay on the air…..sitcoms…reality shows…..and shows with legitimate artists are canceled.T his is not fair.

37. Suzy says:

We LOVE Magic City! I hate to see it go….my favorite series!

38. Robin T says:

Shows get canceled so quickly anymore and it’s too bad. Magic City is a great program; I loved the characters, the time period and the fabulous Miramar Playa. Too bad.

39. Jesse V. says:

I love Magic City its an amazing show!!!!!!! At least give it a third season there is still so much great potential that can come from what we have seen in Magic City. I love the show been watching it since day one and i would hate to see it go.

• James Castaldo says:

I am not watching anymore shows onstarz. I used to plan my fridays around magic city…Most of all I will mis Vera played by Olga Kurlyenko.. She was amazin..

40. Karen Shirk says:

Seriously!!!!! We LOVE Magic City and can’t stand missing an episode!! PLEASE reevaluate taking this wonderful show off the air. I just believe not enough people got exposed to it’s wonderful acting, it’s amazing sets, costumes and of course the top two characters, Ben Diamond and Ike Evans..both UNBELIEVABLE actors. I can tell you all the story lines made this series addicting and a total escape for us… what will we do after it is gone? Please keep Magic City on the air!!!

Sincerely,
    Shawn and Karen Shirk

• Holly says:

Everyone who complained here should complain to Starz. Try their website or the Facebook. On a few occasions show cancellations have been rescinded when enough people freaked out. Go, run, do it!

• Art Croge says:

Magic City was the only reason that I subscribed to Starz. I really liked this series and it’s actors. The settings were great and the plots got my attention not to mention the beautiful woman. I think Starz did a very poor job of marketing this show. I didn’t even know it existed until they offered season 1 for free on demand. I was enthralled when I watched season 1 that I had to sign up for season 2. Now I will cancel, Starz, because they offer nothing but repeated comedy movies… which really stink!