Starz Cancels ‘Magic City’ After Two Seasons

Starz TV

Net offered hefty commitment to the drama, but it failed to attract an aud

The lights are set to go out on “Magic City,” as Starz pulls the plug on the period drama after two seasons.

The finale episode of “Magic City” will air Friday.

Announcement arrives on the heels of Starz head Chris Albrecht stating at the pay TV net’s TCA session that the fate of “Magic City” would be determined by the performance of its closing season two episodes.

“’Magic City’ will be concluding its two-season run on Starz with Friday’s series finale,” Starz said in a statement. “We are tremendously proud of the series and everyone involved. From the writers, to the cast and crew, it has been an incredible collaboration. This was a story born from Mitch Glazer’s singular vision of Miami, the Magic City of his childhood, and we are grateful to him for bringing it to life on Starz. The season’s story arc will allow us to deliver a satisfying conclusion to the series, and we thank all the fans who checked in to the Miramar Playa.”

“Magic City” was the first program to ever be ordered directly to series by Starz, and the paybler showed serious investment in it as it renewed the Miami-set drama for a second run before the show had even debuted. Glazer’s drama, however, failed to attract a substantial audience, topping out at 500,000 viewers during its most-watched episodes.

1. Elaine Williams says:

How incredibly short sited can STARZ be? My husband and I (we almost never watch a series together – even after 35 years) could not get enough of Magic City! We BINGED watched it on Netflix! WTF? Who cancels a show like that with such great writing, fabulous characters, beautiful sets including cars and scary believable bad guys? How stupid can you get STARZ?

2. Olivia says:

WHAT AN INCREDIBLY WELL SCRIPTED, WELL ACTED & VISUALLY STIMULATING SERIES!!!! I started watching it on Netflix. I’m in season 2 & just realized there will be no season 3, WHAT?!?!?!? I feel cheated & beyond dissapointed! Netflix you are the KING of mini series. Pleeeeeez pick up this remarkable period piece & show Starz how it’s done!!!

3. Barbara says:

both my husband and I are thoroughly enjoying ‘MAGIC CITY”…..can’t understand for the life of me, why this would be cancelled after 2 seasons…

4. Yadi says:

Same jst discoverd it on Netflix too omg BRING MAGIC CITY BACK OR AS A NETFLIX ORIGINAL

5. DASH says:

Just discovered it on Netflix. I think was a great show. Too bad, so sad.

6. runat says:

This was line the New sopranos for me. To bad IT ended

7. Ann MARIE Clark says:

I JUST FOUND THIS SHOW ON DEMAND WITH COMCAST TV, BEST SHOW, I WATCHED ALL EPISODES THREE TIMES AND EACH TIME I LOVED THE SHOW MORE !!! WHAT A SHAME!!!

8. Melinda says:

I am so disappointed to hear that there will be no more shows. This one was by far one of my favorites. One of the reasons why I had decided to keep the Starz package with my Directv. I will have to rethink that decision. This ranked up there with Game of Thrones and Walking Dead for me in my book as well as my circle of friends. What a fantastic job with the storyline and cast as well as production. Can’t express how deeply deeply disappointed

9. BARBARA says:

MAGIC CITY WAS AS GOOD OR EVER BETTER THAN MAD MEN!!!!!!! YOU PUT IT ON WHEN BUSY PEOPLE DID NOT KNOW WHEN IT WAS ON YOU NEED TO PUT IT BACK ON OR AN OTHER NETWORK SHOULD TAKE IT BECAUSE ITS A FUCKING FANTASTIC SHOW FROM A TIME THAT WILL NEVER COME AGAIN AND YOU LEFT SO MANY STORIES OPEN TO GO WITH PLEASE SOMEONE OUT THERE PICK THIS SHOW UP ITS WONDERFUL AND I’M GOING TO WATCH THE 2 SEASON HIT SHOW AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. MAGIC CITY BACK ON AIR PLLEEEAASSEE says:

I DON’T UNDERSTAND WHY THERE IS NOT A SEASON 3 OF MAGIC CITY. THERE IS SO MUCH MORE TO BE KNOWN, LIKE WHAT’S GOING TO HAPPEN WITH IKE? WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN WITH HIS WIFE AND STEVIE, DOES DANNY COME BACK, WHAT HAPPENED TO VIC..WILL HE MAKE IT? MERCY? DOES HER AND THAT GUY GET TOGETHER… BEN! WHAT IN THE HELL WILL HAPPEN TO BEN, BEN’S WIFE, DO BEN’S WIFE AND STEVIE GET TOGETHER? I MEAN COME ON I AM PISSED TO THE MAX. HOW DID THIS SHOW TO GET IT’S VIEW, MY EYES COULDN’T STAY AWAY FROM THE SHOW! STARZ GIVE IT TO NETFLIX HELL THEY’LL MAKE THE BEST OF IT. MAGIC CITY NEEDS TO BE PUT BACK ON AIR IMMEDIATELY! FAVORITE, FAVORITE SHOW OF MINE JUST GONE. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

11. Sonny Hoffer says:

It’s a pity that this absorbing, stylish modern period piece of a recently recognizable past much of which still remains on Miami Beach today was dealt such an abrupt, cliff-hanging ending. Truly terrific television is, for the most part, only to be found on cable these days. And if cable follows in the footsteps of network tv then heaven help us all!

12. Cami Lampert says:

I am angry and saddened beyond belief…..it was the GREATEST series on Television….they didn’t give it a chance……..If it’s not picked up…..goodbye STARZ……I am not certain who makes these terrible decisions, but I am not going to subcribe anymore to find out.

13. Jack says:

This a great show and the acting is so fantastic. The cast is so in sync it really is Magic watching Magic City. Please don’t do this to the fans and all the hard work by the actors, writers and everything that makes it work so well. Jack

14. Bridget says:

I loves this show please bring it back!

15. fred white says:

Another quality program bites the dust. Boo.

• Geri Shannon says:

I totally agree…I’ll be the first to sign a petition to cancel STARZ if they don’t pay attention to the thousands of people who are outraged for canceling the best show ever in years, Magic City.

16. Carole says:

Say it isn’t so…………OMG, taking MAGIC CITY off the air is a sin. All the actors were so invested in it and made it real. Now where am I going to find JEFFREY DEAN MORGAN again, just when I fell in love. Hopefully someone will wake up and renew it for all of us out here who love it!!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE !!

17. Don Crowell says:

Good Idea…..Netflix it is!

18. jginel says:

Maybe Netflix will pick it up. Imagine having access to an entire season!!! There was so much left to tell. Come on Ted, you can do it.

• jginel says:

That show had this really cool vibe. It drew you in. There simply isn’t anything else that compares to it. What a great show and I’m glad I was watching it every week. A show that had nowhere to go but up gets squashed by executives who don’t know a good story when they see one. Unbelievable. That show was better than the Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy and whatever else is considered a hit out there today. They really are buffoons over there. Rant over.

19. Geri Shannon says:

What a disgrace! Magic City is best series on TV. The promoters must have never watched an episode otherwise it would have continued for another three seasons. Sorry guys, you got it wrong this time. Shame on you. No reason to subscribe to Starz anymore unless you re-instate the series! Or even better, another network should jump on this..

20. Yann says:

First “Boss”, now “Magic City”!!!!!! I swear I ain’t never watching a serie from Starz ever, EVER AGAIN!!!! Such an incompetent bunch, make me sick!

21. Patricia Carey says:

I cancelled Starz. What a mistake cancelling Magic City. Big mistake.

22. Ruth Bronisas says:

In total agreement with your comment about Magic City, especially the part about replacing the promoters. That’s where the problem lies. The show is fantastic, the promoters must have never watched it.

• Don Crowell says:

I was lucky to find it..I had heard nothing as far as publicity and promotion….and once I found it, Magic City was the one program i would look forward to every week..If I was out of town, it would be recorded and waiting for me when I returned…obviously I agree with you that whoever cancelled this had not watched it, and has no idea how good it is..

23. Don Crowell says:

We just happened to catch Magic City by accident a few months ago. Once we saw it, we were hooked. The best series made for TV since the Sopranos. Quality screenwriting, photography, and acting. Difficult to find anything comparable on television. The problem is nobody knows about it. Why cancel something so special, rather than try to make people aware and expand the audience. Magic City is a winner. Those responsible for promoting Magic City should be replaced and the series continued.

24. frank ayllon says:

Its a shame third season was not continued, my wife and I just finished watching season two, and we were looking forward to the third. Please re-consider
    and bring the show back…

25. Patrick says:

i’m totally upset with the loss of this show. ben diamond was my favorite. though i did not watch the show my dvr was always set to record it so i could view it when i was ready. actually this was my top show since it started i understand the lack of viewership unless people just didn’t know the show was aired. now i have no reason to watch starz at all. this sucks big time!

26. It’s bad enough we had to deal without another episode of Spartacus, but now this. Magic City was a great show and Starz is losing my Friday night viewing by showing 2nd rate movies…..boo!

27. Deborah Antonacchio says:

I am so upset that this great series was not able to continue it’s story and character development . I really hope Starz gets enough complaints, or another channel picks it up! Beyond great show!!!!

28. Geri Shannon says:

Great series Magic City. HBO, wake up and pick up this exciting retro show full of the glamour of the 50’s. Imagine Boardwalk Empire and Magic City on the same network, two different eras in time displaying such exciting entertainment. What are you waiting for Guys????

29. Sue Martin says:

Friday nights is not the same without an episode of MAGIC CITY. Booo to STARZ.

• Geri Shannon says:

Wtf..how can Starz cancel Magic City. Obviously the execs never watched it or they would realize this is the best storyline and entertainment on TV. They definitely got this one WRONG! Wake up and re-consider putting it back on for at lease two more seasons.The story was left wide open for so much more exciting episodes. Great actors, excellent casting and beautiful era. I read somewhere that the sets are already paid for, so why not take advantage of that fact.Please ..please…please…more Geoffrey Dean Morgan and Danny Huston not to mention the stunning Olga Kurylenko. Wake up guys, if not I hope another network will see the value and increase their viewing audience by picking it up.Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

30. Alex Duyos says:

Extremely sad ….that there is not going to be. Third season I thought the show Depicted the era to a T. And very well written and And produced and directed.
    I’m 51 and my parents fled Cuba in 1960
    And they too where in the hotel business and food and beverage Definitely a flash from the past for my parents.

31. Jane Gilbert says:

I am so angry! I loved Boss. It was such a great series, but cancelled after wasting my time watching for two seasons!! Now after just two seasons of Magic City, the same crap!! It’s so frustrating to watch these shows that end in the middle of the story with no resolution! I’m through with Starz!

32. Lynn says:

I have loved Magic City from the first show. It only got better with each episode!I was shocked to hear that Starz was pulling the show! The characters, sets, costumes, music, were so lush and satisfying to me . I told everyone I knew to watch the show and each and every one of them got hooked! Its a cross between Mad Men and The Sopranos!!!! Whats bad about that combo???? Please bring it back and you will see an increase in viewers but there needs to be much , much more publicity and a better time slot!!! Many other fine shows ave suffered from the same problems and when the powers that be, get it they fix it, and then it works! Do not make the mistake of pulling the plug on a such a jucy, visually appealing, political, mob soaked fabulous show!!! PLease reconsider

33. jon says:

thiis is bullshit

34. Bill says:

Not able to watch Magic City do to my work schedule, so I watch it online. I will miss it.

35. jodi says:

I ordered Starz from Time Warner Cable 2 weeks ago, as negotiations between TWC and CBS are ongoing, I’m no longer able to watch Dexter or Ray Donovan. I watched Magic City and really liked the characters. I would really like for them reconsider bringing the show back next season. Isaac “Ike” Evans, has a character personality that every woman loves in a man. Ben “The Butcher” Diamond, well, everyone loves to hate the villain. I’m so disappointed, I’m was contemplating whether or not I was going to finish watching Season 2. But, I just have to. Chris Albrecht needs to know that there are more than just 500,000 fans.

36. Mitch Valentine says:

Mo Need To Invest In White Queen. Staz May Cancel After 1 Season. Like Camelot Or 2 Seasons Like Boss Or Magic City. I Agree With Jenny. BRING IT BACK!!!

37. Jenny says:

Magic City was the best show on tv. I can’t believe Starz dropped it…huge mistake for a b-list network to cancel an a-list series.

38. Pam Gonzalez says:

Apparently we do not count as an audience, took me back into an era that i missed,hope another network picks it up.

39. Donna K says:

cant believe another great show goes off the air!!! but honey boo boo stays on!!! Whats wrong with tv their are adults out here that really enjoy a good tv show.. Bring back Magic City …

• Frank W says:

Hahaha. I won’t sign a petition to save the whales or some politician to stuff it, but I’ll sign this one to save Magic City. Not only because I want to save a show, I want to keep a couple of hundred Miami film industry people employed.

40. Frank W says:

Chris Albrecht should be looking at all of these comments. I have never seen so many comments/complaints (mine included) here on Variety for anything before. I just finished watching the rest of the season and it was excellent. The first two eps started slow but like a snowball running down the hill, it just got bigger and bigger to an explosive finale.

I live in Miami, so I remember the bodies in the drums and the mob hits. It’s a pretty true portrait of the seedy side in the old days. So Chris Albrecht has accomplished what Ben Diamond couldn’t, shut the Miramar Playa down.

41. chris blank says:

What idiot thought Magic City should be ended??? I waited a yr. for season 2 and then you do this. GREAT SHOW!!!
    By the way…I got 15 min. into the White Queen and couldn’t take the boredom and slow moving show. Tried to watch it again thinking maybe I missed something. Nah, didn’t happen

42. Dorene Ciamaricone says:

Magic City is one of the best shows on tv and Starz sucks for cancelling it. Put it on HBO and it will be the next Sopranos. I will now cancel my Starz subcription as it is obvious execs are out of their foolish minds!

43. Writer says:

The show brought me back to a classier time. It was intense, and exciting. Great watch

44. Sally says:

My husband and I loved this show cant believe to be cancelled!!! So,disappointing loved the cast, setting, and the story lines were great. Ike, Ben, the kids, the women, they were all so good ! What a drag! Starz is so very lame!

45. john says:

magic city would be a great show for cinemax please pick it up. everyone say goodbye to starz.

46. ana says:

Everyone should cancel Starz, they are teasers they cancel all series just when it was getting better. They need to promote more and give it a chance. If HBO picks it ups they will have gain a bigger audience. HBO please pick it up!

• andrew edenbaum says:

HBO HAS SUCKED FOR A VERY, VERY LONG TIME. Another Chrissie Albrecht disaster. Can’t look at Lena Dunham’s mug or Bill Maher’s or the Newsroom, or Bryant Gumbel. Nothing worth watching on HBO.

47. Me says:

Complete BS canceling starz ASAP only reason I ever watched starz and won’t ever pay for it again.
    They cancel all the shows I love ticks me off
    This show was visually beautiful the actors were great and story line compelling.. It will be missed kudos to the great actors!!

48. penny says:

I love Magic City!I am so very disappointed at hearing it has been cancelled!I believe stars should give it one more season ……I am very unhappy with stars…….

49. Stan W says:

Dynamite show. I record 3 shows, Burn Notice (ending this season), Magic City ( already gone I guess), and Boardwalk Empire. This show was written well, well acted by everyone especially Danny Huston. I’m hoping it comes back somewhere and hoping that I know when it does. REAL sorry to see it end.