‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season Finale Highest-Rated Ending in Show’s History

Sons of Anarchy

The season six finale of FX’s “Sons of Anarchy” was the most-watched finale of the show’s history and the second-highest rated episode of the season, according to the network.

The episode, which aired Tuesday and is titled “A Mother’s Work,” was watched by 5.2 million total viewers, specifically 3.5 million of adults 18-49. Combined with the encore telecast, the total number was 6.4 million viewers with 4.3 million adults 18-49.

These numbers put the finale behind the season six premiere, which aired September 10 and brought in 3.9 million adult viewers between 18-49 and was the highest-rated telecast in history of FX (Live+Same Day).

“Sons of Anarchy’s” sixth season averaged 5.0 million total viewers, making it the third scripted drama in basic cable this year, behind AMC’s “The Walking Dead” “Breaking Bad.”

1. Redlovestheride says:

I know that not just me….but thousand’s of others would love to see SOA have many more seasons. You have a great thing going, why stop now. You know by the past numbers..we will watch if you write it!!

2. Wade says:

When will it be available “on demand”?

3. leslie allen says:

well I am 57 years old and a few of my friends that watch soa are over 50 too. where did you get your numbers? lol

4. what happens if you are over 49? It doesn’t count if you watched? Thank goodness I’m only 48.

5. tammy says:

great program and great actors.

6. Mary Albu says:

the best show on TV–I record them and watch them two or three times! You would be surprised how much you don’t take in the first viewing! Cant wait for SONS to come back on!! LOVE all you guys on the show!

7. georgina abasolo says:

Love him dearly. Will be missed. Enjoy every precious moment with ur baby. I understand why u want to be awake for every moment. Ur a good actor. U will be missed and I love ur other shows uv been in.

8. Kat Z. says:

I Absolutely Love This Sitcom, Excellent Series…

9. lake says:

They need to find a way to stream it world wide at the same time it plays. I imagine these numbers would differ greatly if they accounted for the huge online audience. No one wants to download such an awesome show as sons, but we have no choice! (They stopped playing it in my country because the local company has gone broke and can’t afford licencing…)

10. kathy says:

I cannot believe you killed off Tara …very disappointed… the relationship between the two of them was solo deep! Really hope that this is all a big dream in jaxs head! …maybe Tara has a twin sister??? Please find a way to bring her back…I’m not sure I even wanna watch it anymore…

Kathy

11. Betsy says:

It was great-intense-suspense-sad..I love the show .Keep up the good work Mr. Sutter. Looking forward to the next season.

12. Tracy says:

I cried more that jax was going to jail . Than Tara being killed off.. This show is so intense .. I love all the characters.. The only one you killed off that upset me the most was opie😩.. Keep up the good work Sutter..

13. JOE S HILL says:

This FX drama has certainly established itself,but the senseless killing of the “Tara Knowles” charecter
    by Jax Teller’s seriously out of control mother,is both highly disturbing,to say nothing about traumatizing,
    since this was the highest piece of shock value that viewers likely were not expecting! one thing i am
    right about here,is that in “SONS OF ANARCHY”,their is no value in Human life-theirs,or anybody else’s!
    and while this was a Ratings’ dominator last night,i have no doubt that its Seventh season opener will
    also be highly watched! but killing off these central charecters may force other viewers to look else where. i have no doubt that Kurt Sutter may have taken that into consideration,,but “SOA”,despite its
    “coolness”,,like the draft of a slaughterhouse,seems very Hell bound,since Jax Teller’s world has taken
    a major dramatic change,,which of course,may play heavily in his downfall-unless of course,Kurt Sutter
    has other shocking twists played out! now the other intresting question remains,,what will happen to
    “Gemma Teller”? will she live,so the torment of her murderous actions take root,like a cancer,,or will she
    get rescued by the Latin charecter,played realisticly by “LA LAW” and “NYPD BLUE” costar Jimmy Smits,
    who obviously wasn’t very thrilled about hearing Juice’s confessions to murdering the mother of the young shooter in the season opener. all in all,as more murder and betrayal becomes this series,it will
    obviously come to a merciful end next season-unless another surprise gets pulled here!

• big daddy D says:

Oh, will you PLEASE STFU!! some of us haven’t seen it yet! Im watching it tonight when I get back home. So..no spoilers for the unwatched masses..tyvm!

• big daddy D says:

I haven’t watched it bcuz SOA isn’t part of my cable package. I’m watching it online. It would be great if people would give others who don’t/won’t/Can’t watch it in prime time the opportunity of not revealing spoilers…that would be nice. And it was a friendly STFU.

• alliekat says:

big daddy, are you an idiot? why would you read commentary about the season finale and then complain that you haven’t seen it yet? YOU stfu!