‘Sons of Anarchy’ Creator Kurt Sutter Sets Pilot at FX with Brian Grazer

Kurt Sutter
Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images

FX has ordered a pilot for “The Bastard Executioner,” a new drama project from “Sons of Anarchy” creator Kurt Sutter.

From Fox 21 and FX Prods. , “Bastard” is a period drama that tells the story of a warrior knight in King Edward III’s charge who is broken by the ravages of war and vows to lay down his sword — but when that violence finds him again, he is forced to pick up the bloodiest sword of all.

Sutter created and penned the pilot and is exec producing alongside Brian Grazer (“Arrested Development”) and Francie Calfo.

“For 13 years at FX, starting as a writer and working his way up to an executive producer on ‘The Shield,’ then as creator/executive producer of ‘Sons of Anarchy,’ Kurt has interwoven literary and pulp storytelling within two of the most successful series in cable history,” said FX chief John Landgraf. “Now he has conceived a deep, provocative and historically precise narrative journey into our Medieval past — and I have no doubt ‘The Bastard Executioner’ will be another remarkably original and gripping series.”

“Sons of Anarchy” just wrapped its sixth season on FX, and season seven of the biker drama will be its last. Sutter has expressed interest in a prequel series to “Sons,” one that would explore origin stories and potentially be in miniseries format.

1. Joey says:

How about The Birth of a Son, Thy will be done: John Teller Chronicles…Just sayin!

2. Travis Hughes says:

Sutter captivated all of America with SOA I cant wait for this new project. im interested to see if he plays a role in this show like he did in SOA as Otto. As for the prequel to SOA i would like to think of a title like Anarchy Begins: The life and crimes of John Teller. Just a thought.

3. Kara Dennis says:

I can’t wait to see this new show The Bastard Executioner. Kurt Sutter has the ability to blow my mind when it comes to watching his creations. I am with everyone else on the whole ending SOA thing, I LOVE that show but I understand that we all must move on. I look forward to watching this new creation, and hopefully an SOA prequel!

4. Tammy Watford says:

I loved The Shield!!!
    I love, love, love Sons of Anarchy!!!
    Kurt Sutter’s an intense, mind boggling, super creative writer…looking forward to becoming a fan of yet another one of his master pieces…

5. beth moore says:

PLEASE don’t cancel the SONS OF ANARCHY! This my favorite show. So PLEASE PLEASE keep it on.

6. Rhonda says:

How much like SOA it sounds…just a different time period. Also, understanding the 1st 9 should be a great addition to the show. Show how Gemma gained so much control and influence over the club members, while dirtying her hands to get there.

• andrea bocard says:

Will watch this series, especially with Sutter being involved. Love SOA. Can’t wait to see the Original 9. Can’t wait to see who plays Gemma, John and Clay.

7. Keri Heath says:

I wish the prequel leads from jax as a baby n how the 1st 9 got him 2 where n how he ended up the way he portrayed Jax now! And the characters would hafta be the same cast.. Can’t wait, charlie hunnam made SOA.. xoxo

8. Kurt Sutter is one of the most imaginative and courageous writers of our time. Im excited about this new pilot, and I’m already imagining the possibilities.

9. Ilanna says:

Yes, looking forward to it. SOA was outstanding in it’s self, but a prequel, should be another excellent show.

10. traci vallance says:

Yes sons everyday all day long….

11. sherri says:

Sounds a lot like SOA…just different time and place

12. Dana says:

YEEESSSSS A PREQUEL PPPLLLLEEEEAAASSSSEEEE OF SOA

13. I only have basic cable and am dying to know when season six of SOA will air on Netflix? PLEASE a clue!

14. laura says:

I can’ wait. I think Kurt Sutter is an astronomical writer, producer. I also cannot wait for the prequel of SOA.