Sean Hayes Blames NBC for His Sitcom’s Low Ratings

Sean Saves the World

Star cites Peacock's lack of 'eyeballs' for "Sean Saves the World's" slow start

“Sean Saves the World” has been a ratings disappointment for NBC this season and the show’s star, Sean Hayes, thinks the problem lies with the network, not with the show.

In an interview with The TV Page, Hayes blamed NBC’s low circulation, particularly on Thursday, for the domestic comedy’s lackluster start.

“To me, (the show) is working,” Hayes told the site. “It’s just the struggle of the elephant in the room which is ,’How do you get viewers to NBC?’ NBC programs great shows, it just doesn’t have the eyeballs CBS does.”

NBC’s ratings have been a reliable punchline for a few years now, but the fact is that’s just not all that true anymore. On the strength of football, “The Blacklist” and “The Voice,” NBC finished the first month of the new TV season as the top-rated network among young adults.

But NBC’s Thursday comedy block has put up woefully low ratings, with new shows toplined by Michael J. Fox and Hayes failing to generate much heat, particularly against “The Big Bang Theory” juggernaut on CBS.

NBC has already pulled 8:30 p.m. newcomer “Welcome to the Family.” “Sean Saves the World,” which airs at 9 p.m., has averaged a meager 3.4 million viewers.

Hayes’ comment is notable in light of the business his Hazy Mills production banner has with the Peacock apart from “Sean Saves the World.” Hazy Mills also produces the drama “Grimm” and gameshow “Hollywood Game Night.”

Although critics were harsh in their assessment of “Sean Saves the World,” Hayes described it to TV Page as “the funniest sitcom, to me, on the air right now.”

1. melanie says:

I can see where Mr. Hayes is right. I have been looking forward to this show but don’t always remember when its on, I haven’t seen enough commercials telling me to watch an episode. I am bombarded with nonstop commercials of other shows. While there vare some its not being promoted as hard as it should be for a new show

2. I actually found Sean Saves the World quite funny and because I’m a fan of Sean Hayes and (still) find him very funny, I hope the show lasts. Like the first couple of episodes of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, I felt SSTW needed to find a rhythm but it’s a lot funnier than most of the new sitcoms this season (including Mom). I just don’t watch comedies on Thursday nights, so I catch the show where I can.

3. Bill says:

Watched it for the first time tonight,, I agree totally with an earlier assessment,, Very “forced” feeling,, not particularily funny and the story line was really silly,,,, Think I will go back to watching educational TV. I find TV today caters to very simple tastes.

4. Stacy says:

The show is AWESOME!

5. Aidan Williams says:

Sean Saves The World is very funny the should have put both The Michael J Fox Show and his show on a different night that wasn’t fair putting it against The Crazy Ones & The Big Bang Theory they are good shows too why did you do this NBC.

6. The funniest sitcom on TV right now is a toss up between Mom on CBS and Brooklyn Nine Nine on Fox. Back in the Game on ABC is also good. I saw previews for Sean’s show but it is really a matter of time you can watch everything and people are usually drawn to TV shows where they connect with an actor on the show. Mom, Brooklyn Nine and Back in the Game make me laugh out loud, really gut busting laughs and I appreciate that!

7. Louise Joles says:

Love Sean, but I watched the show once and it felt forced.

8. lotrfan says:

The show just sucks Sean, get over it!

9. Ivan Kireev says:

how can he say his sitcom is the funniest? has he seen “modern family”? has he seen their awards? has he seen their ratings?

10. Jake says:

Sean saves the world is actually quite funny and I had low expectations. It’s true that if it had a better lead in it would do better but is it smart to bite the hand that keeps the show on the air?

11. Cynthia says:

Sean Saves The World is simply not funny, perhaps in a different era, it would have been, but not in 2013. I Feel like Sean Hayes is arguing (without explicitly saying so) that his show is not worse than newcomers The Millers or Mom on CBS and those got better ratings (and full season orders) because they are on CBS. I think it is NBCs fault for putting the series on air– these retrograde comedic portrayals of gay men do not do well on the air anymore on any network (note: Partners). Young people simply do not want to see such outdated and stereotypical viewpoints; they do not view gay people in those terms. I think NBC picked up too many family comedies this year. People do not want to see back-to-back-to-back family comedies. CBS has more variety in the manner in which it airs its family shows. I think young people expect more modern-feeling comedy series from NBC and there was a huge lack of such comedies, this year, from the peacock.