‘Rambo’ TV Show in Development, Sylvester Stallone in Talks to Reprise Role

Rambo TV Show

Entertainment One has completed a co-development deal with Avi Lerner and Nu Image to develop and produce a TV series based on action film “Rambo.”

Sylvester Stallone, who starred in the “Rambo” film franchise in the ’80s, is in negotiations to be involved with the “Rambo” TV skein on a creative level as well as potentially reprising his role as the original John Rambo. Stallone has remarked to the press repeatedly in recent years that he is interested in reviving the franchise and character.

“Rambo” films, based on David Morrell’s novel “First Blood,” center on a troubled Vietnam War vet and former Green Beret who is skilled in aspects of survival, weaponry, hand-to-hand combat and guerrilla warfare. Franchise launched four films over two and a half decades.

Under the eOne and Nu Image deal, the partners will develop the series and shop to networks Stateside and abroad.

“I’m happy to be partnering with a prolific company like Entertainment One who has a track record of creating high quality programming for their broadcast partners around the world,” commented Lerner, an action movie vet who has produced “Rambo” pics.  “And I’m excited by the prospect of collaborating again with my good friend Sly for an encore in this next phase of the Rambo legacy.”

1. Calvin says:

All I can say is Bubba Ho-Tep with Bruce Campbell.

2. Tony Diamante says:

Fighting nurses in a retirement home. Edgy!!!

3. Saywhat? says:

Oh, something bad happens on Rambo’s ranch and he takes the law into his own hands and then needs to be on the run while helping the little guy, A-Team style. I could see it.

4. Carl says:

Grandad Rambo, I don’t care how old SLy gets he can still wipe out an entire platoon. Can’t wait.

5. Certainly, the concept of Rambo on TV is in search of “the next generation” as well as dollars (of course) but there is no “artistic” or “creative” reasoning behind such an idea as this. There is a significant dearth of creativity; artistry appears entirely virtual (or imitative) without soul or merit. Otherwise, the premise would be an “original idea”. You think? Oh well….

6. Bobulike says:

After watching all Rambo films and see sly deal with different kinds of emotions it would be good to see what happened in his younger life that made him turn from a farm boy to a efficient killing weapon.

• JOE S HILL says:

The last time this was done as a TV series,was in 1986,by Ruby-Spears Enterprises,which was
      Hanna-Barbera’s then sister studio,when they were owned by Taft Broadcasting. the cartoon series,
      which obviously tried to capitalize on “GI JOE” turf,was actually well made,even though Sly Stalone
      wasn’t involved. now decades later,they want to actually do a live TV series on “RAMBO”? that’s
      a little strange-but !then,the business today has entered into a whole other routine! Stallone’s last
      RAMBO movie in 2008,was actually WAY better then the previous films,since he played-out Rambo
      as realisticly as he could do,,and that was both realistic,and violently graphic! but still,Richard Crenna,
      who played “Trautman”,was also the main reason why this Franchise worked so well! either way,if
      this is pushed as a possible new TV series,it’ll be a first for Stallone,if he’s involved,,and why not?
      can’t see anybody else playing “John Rambo” beyond Stallone,,but if this goes to a series,it better be
      worth it!

7. gordon says:

cool sly it sound great for you to do this wow go man go

8. jim Peterson says:

Please bring this the reality. Rambo is a great All-American. This tv show is very much in need these days. A real hero!!!

9. Wpuld rather have seen a Rambo-5 movie. Or even for fun, Rambo vs Predator. But I’m a huge fan of the films, so what worries me is that theyll recast. Works ok-ish for some things, but not Rambo. Sly is and should always be Rambo. but will Sly really jump to tv series? Be interesting if he does, and i will definatelly see this if it happens.

I think if they do it, they need Rambo to be a leader, maybe of a squad of Mercs. He could train them up like the dirty doesen for special missions. This would also share out the load with the other team members so Sly isn’t doing all the action. But theres plenty of war zones for him to do his justice in.

If Sly is in it, i am on it!

10. ADRIAN, ADRIAN… oops wrong movie! :-)

11. Ted says:

Sylvester Stallone, go away already. You’re old and you can’t be Rambo anymore.

• Tony says:

Just because you don’t like him doesn’t mean other people don’t. He may be old, but he’s still playing the action hero role well. I would love a Rambo TV series if Stallone was the star. I have zero interest in someone else filling his spot.

12. Since I was the the technical advisor on the archery and Jimmy Lile knives I would be honored to assist my old friend and favorite ‘aging action hero’ Sly as an equally aging technical advisor. I wish Sly ‘God’s speed’ with this new project.

13. lol @ this story. the rambo cartoon was pretty funny but in the year 2013 we’re actually considering this as something people want to see?

14. Phoebe says:

I think this is an awesome idea. I love Sly Stallone & I would definitely watch if he came back as Rambo.

15. Joe Smart says:

This is a bizarre idea, even for Hollywood. Rambo isn’t exactly known for his smarts so it’s hard to see how they create a 24 style thriller series around the character. They could do The Fugitive with more bone snapping–but that was already done. It was called Kung Fu and starred David Carradine. What will Rambo do–become a P.I.? Somehow I doubt this one will ever make it to the air.