‘Porter Ridge’ No ‘Duck Dynasty’ in Premiere; OWN’s ‘Haves’ Hot

Discovery Channel Porter Ridge

New Discovery unscripted series draws 1.4 million, loses audience from lead-in 'Tickle'

Porter Ridge,” Discovery’s new reality show from the producers of “Duck Dynasty” set in the backwoods of Indiana, opened to OK numbers Tuesday, overshadowed by other unscripted shows on the net.

OWN, meanwhile, saw more gains for its top series to date, the Tyler Perry-created soap “The Haves and the Have Nots,” and TLC saw series highs for “Little Couple” in its return to the lineup.

Looking at the Tuesday nationals, Nielsen estimates that “Porter Ridge” averaged a 0.7 rating/2 share in adults 18-49 and 1.42 million viewers in the 10:30 p.m. half-hour — a decent start but lagging cable competition in its time period, including a repeat of “The Big Bang Theory” on TBS, “Legend Shelby Swamp Man” on History and USA’s “Suits.”

Certainly, no one expected “Duck Dynasty”-like numbers for “Porter Ridge,” as even that now red-hot show bowed to 1.8 million viewers with its series premiere nearly 18 months ago.

“Porter Ridge” had a solid lead-in at 10 p.m. from “Tickle” (0.9/2 in 18-49, 1.91 million viewers overall), a spinoff of Discovery’s “Moonshiners.”

Discovery logged its best numbers of the night in the 9 o’clock hour with “Amish Mafia” (1.1/3 in 18-49, 2.54 million viewers overall), which tied with TNT’s “Rizzoli & Isles” as cable’s top show for the time period in 18-49. It was second on all of television (behind NBC’s “America’s Got Talent”) in men 18-49 and 25-54.

Over at OWN, “The Haves and the Have Nots” (0.7/2 in 18-49, 2.14 million viewers overall) matched last week’s series high in 18-49 while setting a high in total viewers for a third straight week. The show wraps its season on Sept. 3, but will return with new episodes early next year.

TLC’s “Little Couple” drew a series-best 2.5 million viewers in its return Tuesday with an episode that featured couple Bill Klein and Jennifer Arnold returning from China to their Houston, TX home with newly adopted son Will. The net also scores double-digit week-to-week gains with “Who Do You Think You Are,” which drew 1.87 million viewers with its edition on “New Girl” star Zooey Deschanel.

For the night, TLC had its strongest Tuesday in more than a decade.

1. Mem_Slim says:

Duck Dynasty has always been consistently entertaining. I found this show un-watchable. Excruciatingly bad!! Pull the plug ASAP.

2. Terry. Gilreath says:

Love The Porter Ridge boys!!

3. Teresa Jones says:

I would just as soon shoot myself in the face as watch this show! There is no way to even compare it to Duck Dynasty. Seriously get this CRAP off the air!!!!!!!!

4. Terry. Gilreath says:

My husband ran into Elvis Larry today at Walmart. .he said he talked to him for along time and was very nice.Just agood ole country boy like us! I have seen Danny Bob at RJ’S STORE A FEW TIMES BEFORE THE SHOW.
    We live right directly in back of the junkyard about a mile south of it.Love it the show my kind of people! Who needs the Kardashians!

5. Terry. Gilreath says:

I love it! Waiting for it to come on now!

6. Teresa phillips says:

I really like porter ridge. Give it a chance, I work with the brother of star on show :)

7. Interested says:

Its got potential. Really like the people and bears. Let’s see them build something though. Moves a little too fast and subtitles way too fast to read. Too many cuts. We re not all attention deficit. Not interested in Tickler..another drunk falling over .

8. Terry. Gilreath says:

FYI …I have a couple of Degrees. I am a RN with a BSN and a Proud Redneck.

9. chimera says:

Ack! Saw this show last night for the first…and last…time!
    Definitely not in the same league as DD.
    I think the producers are missing the point on the success of DD: it’s not about making fun of rednecks (who, in the case of DD, happen to have college degrees), or being horrified by the fact they like to hunt (oh my!).
    DD is about showcasing a functional family, one that came through some very hard times but stuck together to be successful. It delivers a positive message. And with good humor.
    IMHO, Porter Ridge is just dumb.

• Terry. Gilreath says:

The people who live around Porter Ridge may not live like others across this country.But they love and respect their family and our Lord. Not everyone in life is successful nor does everyone have college degrees . Success and college degrees does not make the person . My opinion is Terry Porter was hilarious and he is a real down to earth human being who would help any one in need.I didn’t hear one swear word or talk of drinking or smoking and I can’t wait to watch the next episode.I would rather be a Redneck any day than a succesful college educated white collar whose nose is so far up in the air they would drown in the rain.

• Teresa phillips says:

Amen!

• Sad neighbor to Porter Ridge says:

Listen, if you think this is truly unscripted you are mislead. Terry was told to walk around without a shirt by the folks who misguidedly put this show on the air. I take it from your comments that you must not have a college education.

10. Izaak Ge says:

This show (Porter Ridge) is pure cultural bigotry and from a supposed educational channel at that. Discovery is aiding our emerging bigoted liberal idiocracy.This show makes Indiana look like Beverly Hillbillies. It abuses stereotypes that “blue state” folks from the coasts create and perpetuate about the fly over zone. Way to go Obama voters!!!! Discovery could create a show about similar low denominator individuals from California, New York or the inner city. But that would not fit the stereotypical theme administered by bigoted liberals from the likes of NY and CA.

11. Terry. Gilreath says:

I liked it alot better than Amish Mafia which really put the Amish in a negative light for me.Tickle ok too much drinking to suit me.Loved Terry Porter he was hilarious no swearing , drinking or smoking.Will definitely watch Porter Ridge again.