Paula Deen Apologizes for ‘Totally Unacceptable’ Remarks (VIDEO)

Paula Deen apologized Thursday for racial remarks that have recently put the 66-year old Food Network personality in hot water.

“I want to apologize to everybody for the wrong that I’ve done,” Deen said in the 46-second clip. “I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate and hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable. I’ve made plenty of mistakes along the way, but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, I beg for your forgiveness. Please forgive me for the mistakes that I’ve made.”

Deen’s apology came hours after the celebrity chef abruptly cancelled a “Today” show interview.

Deen had been slated to sit down with Matt Lauer in order to address her headline-making past use of racial slurs that came out in a recent deposition for a legal case she was involved in, and NBC promoted the interview as an exclusive, live appearance.

The Food Network, which turned the restaurateur and cookbook author into a TV personality, issued a statement earlier in the week regarding Deen’s admission that she did use racial slurs in the past: “Food Network does not tolerate any form of discrimination and is a strong proponent of diversity and inclusion. We will continue to monitor the situation.”

1. Ms. HBCU says:

The themed wedding was taken out of context in many news reports. I’ve lived in the South and North as a very darkskinned person, and the worst treatment comes from —Northerners. The image of blackness is disturbing to all, especially black people – who are embarrassed to be black because it’s not a winning hue in America and other parts of the world. Black people can be extremely mean to our own, especially the darkest in the race. For the whites who feel we as black people hate you….you’re wrong. Black people are in love with you. If you only knew how much, you would be less afraid of us.

2. Rita says:

I’m sorry that Paula’s career on Food Network has been ruined. I feel that the words she has used in the past were “slang”, not meant to hurt anyone. How many black & white people have enjoyed her program & her recipes? She has worked hard in her adult life to support herself & her sons, & as a divorced mother I have found her to be a wonderful example of what a woman, black or white , can do . She was so helpful during the crisis in New Orleans after Katrina. She has done far more good than bad. God bless you, Paula. Friends stand by you, enemies won’t believe a word you say anyway.

3. Jill says:

As a black person I think everyone should be taken to task for using hurtful deragatory terms. I thinks it’s particularly disgusting when a person uses a deregatory term that is usually used to describe them but they think it’s okay because they are of that race. She apologized. Let’s be done with it. However, please don’t try to compare a Caucasian person being called a C to the N word. Half the country doesn’t even know what you are referring to and there isn’t a very deep rooted history in terms of masters and slaves attached to it. Better to just say that as human beings let’s not judge but work on ourselves to be the very best we can be.

4. pat says:

I am so done with you, Paula Dean! You are too old to still be learning ! You should be setting the example! What’s wrong with you?

• Oh my goodness what has this world come to? Is anyone happy to see a lovely, friendly woman like Paula hurt and abandoned by every one. Ask Oprah and Gail how they feel about Paula. If you are of our age [in your 60’s] the n word was used but it wasn’t meant in a racist way to me.I hope the politically correct people get a life and stop trying to take Paula’s away from her.Hang in there Paula.You have a lot of fans behind you.Val from Canada

5. bmoore says:

Paula Deen was raised in the South in a different time, give her credit for admitting that she used the “N” in her life. Today is a different time and those of us that used that particular word have been educated on how inappropriate and hurtful it can be. I’m sure she regrets her behavior.

• Dax says:

I agree with B Moore we must accept her apology and move on obviously she is moved by this experience and at what point do we say okay she did apologize. We can’t call people on their mess and then not be willing to accept the apology

6. “This video has been removed by the user.” Is Ms. Deen now rescinding her apology, or was her performance in the video not believable enough? — smile

7. We are not perfect and we all make mistakes….I agree with the posts below…Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Geez people get a life! What she said was wrong but to ruin everything she has worked for over a the years is not Christian.

• The NONdiscriminator says:

I agree with Renee. History is history; that’s all it is. As for Deen having a wedding with black servants-these were not actually slaves and would, I presume, be paid for their work depicting a historical situation-if they found it objectionable they probably didn’t have to take the job. What do you think would happen to any African-American celebrity whose past (or present for that matter!) revealed they had ever used the “C” word or the “H” word referring to whites? Do you think they would lose their job? If discrimination is wrong in one instance, so it is wrong in another; reverse discrimination is no more right than original white-on-black discrimination. Why can’t we all just be Americans and work together to help our endangered country instead of trying to tear it apart? I have African-American friends who think this sort of thing is a bunch of hogwash!

8. Apology NOT Accepted says:

By her own “admissions” it is clear Paula Deen is a life long racist. As such the only reasonable conclusion is that Paula is only remorseful for being outed and only because her business interests “might” be affected. Considering the Food Networks statement that they are simply “monitoring the situation” that is a big “if”. I will never support anything Paula Deen related and will encourage all my family and friends and colleagues to follow suit. If the Food Network does not take a firm stance against promoting admitted racists on their network then they should be boycotted across the board as well.

9. George Valentin says:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Plenty of people use the “N” word and the “Q” word along with other derogatory words. I do want to emphasize that it’s never right to hurt the feelings of others with hateful words but there is hardly anyone who hasn’t uttered some form of derogatory remark in his/her life whether it be in a jocular fashion, a joke, or anger. There are phonies like some TV News journalists who will deny they ever uttered the “N” word or the “Q” word, but in their clandestine lives, they have.

• Agreed: “(s)He who lives in glass houses should not throw stones.” Everyone have racisit impulses and without public apology. But if one does apologize — to the public, no less– contrition is only genuine when that individual is not shamed into it or with ulterior motive(s) such as the retention of money, power and prestige. Because, otherwise, how else will we know if the apology is merely an excuse and not disingenuous? Paula Deen’s racial animosity runs deeper than calling African-Americans n”nigger”. Far beyond words, it’s attitude as well as behavior. Hopefully, the “real” apology is forthcoming.