NBC Pulls ‘Welcome to the Family,’ ‘Ironside,’ Sets ‘Community’ Return

Community

'Community' to begin new season with back-to-back episodes

NBC has removed “Welcome to the Family” and “Ironside” from its schedule and set a Jan. 2 return date for “Community.”

The Peacock also said that “Chicago Fire” spinoff “Chicago P.D.” will premiere Jan. 8 in the former 10 p.m. Wednesday timeslot of its forerunner, which now airs on Tuesdays.

“Ironside,” starring Blair Underwood, will vacate that time period after its fourth episode airs Oct. 23, in favor of editions of “Dateline” and various specials (including “Saturday Night Live”-themed specials, as well as consecutive holiday outings for Kelly Clarkson and Michael Buble in December) through the end of 2013.

Meanwhile, “Welcome to the Family” is being axed immediately after three episodes. An encore episode of “The Voice” will air on Thursday for NBC next week, with an “SNL Halloween” special a week later. Then, a live episode of “The Voice” will air Nov. 7, before “Parks and Recreation” returns with back-to-back episodes on Nov. 14 and again on Nov. 21.

“Community” will begin its fifth season and first after a year’s hiatus for showrunner Dan Harmon with back-to-back episodes before settling into an 8 p.m. timeslot on Jan. 9, bumping “Parks and Recreation” to 8:30 p.m.

NBC’s Thursday programming has been struggling since the start of the fall season, and even though “Family” showed a slight gain in its most recent airing, the newcomer remained stuck with a sub-1.0 rating among adults 18-49. A night earlier, “Ironside” fared little better with a 1.1 rating.

Next week’s “Voice” airing might provide a small boost to remaining Thursday freshman “Sean Saves the World” and “The Michael J. Fox Show,” which drew demo ratings of 1.1 and 1.2 this week, respectively.

1. lgallagher says:

Why do you cancel the shows just as I start taping them. All networks do it but give it more them 3-4 episodes like NBC. The moral of the story is, don’t get too hooked on anything because they will be sure to canv it.

2. dorjena williams says:

I hate they pulled these shows…..I really enjoyed Ironside and Welcome to The Family.

3. Jeanette Johnson says:

Please return Ironside.

4. Donielle Lawson says:

This irritates me that ironside was cancelled. It’s a great show that wasn’t given a fair chance. I believe the same about the tv show deception. I don’t want to watch Dateline NBC. The network cancels good shows with stupid ones.

5. Tonya says:

I hate that Welcome to The Family was canceled. It was a funny show.

6. Sherita Miller says:

Loved Welcome to the Family and Ironside, really tired of NBC taking off good shows for reruns and special airings, Guess I’ll be sticking to ABC and CBS , Very disappointed.

7. amber says:

I loved that show. I hate they took it off the air! ughhh

8. Angela says:

I liked the show Welcome to the family. I am not sure why they pulled it off the air, it was actually good, better than some of the other ones out there. I think they should bring it back and give it time to be known

9. Ian Chappell says:

I was impressed with “Welcome to the Family” to bad it didn’t get time to attract an audience. Buy 6 – 8 episodes on a new series, or don’t bother…

10. Danielle Jones says:

Why would you start something and than end this show can’t stand you guys sometimes

11. d. lafey says:

Have been enjoying Ironsideds. Don’t understand why it’s being cut.

12. JDWilliams says:

NBC sucks! Every time I start liking a show it gets cancel. I liked Ironside. I think they should a least give new shows a full season to see how well they do before they get canceled and compared to MJ Fox show and Sean’s show their ratings weren’t that bad at all.

13. Sandra Foster says:

I like Ironside. I never watched Community and I never will. I like Welcome To The Family also. This just gives me a reason not to tune into NBC. Goodbye

14. Fran Cranford says:

I stopped watching NBC after the cancellation of The Firm. I do watch NBC news. Now I only watch the more “independent” networks for dramas and sitcoms. They will air shows longer giving me a chance to enjoy them.

15. The Doctor says:

weird because audiences seem to Love Ironside. does this mean Ironside is Axed? I Honestly hope not because its a great cop show.

16. The reason why we created Tvonthego.com is to develop new long lasting content. I never saw any of these shows because I was too busy. Netflix has it right. Make the shows and have the audience eventually fall in love with it at their own schedule. As we get more funding I hope to give studios a home to prove these egg head execs wrong. Based on these values we would have never had Star Trek, or the Brady Bunch.

17. Kathy Sahale says:

In my opinion, NBC doesn’t give anything a decent chance. You constantly change and juggle shows and schedules, and rely on the same tiresome reality genre. Is it any surprise you fare so badly in the ratings battle?

18. Gina Burkhart says:

I hope they keep “Sean Saves the World” – Love it!

19. Nefertiti P. Jones says:

Don’t know what it was Raymond Burr had that made him so lasting in series television but a decades later attempt at a “new” PERRY MASON also crashed and burned. Why just emulate the already definitive past with a remake? Give new talent new ground to break and claim for their own. Otherwise, comparisons are bound to be made and the NEW
    VERSION is the one that usually loses out.

I remember “IRONSIDE”. It’s available at a nearby WORLD CLASS video store and it is not the vehicle for Blair Underwood that it was for BURR.
    How about a major role in the new “HIEROGLYPH” series?

20. nguber says:

Reblogged this on iwatch2much and commented:
    Saw this coming a mile away. When NBC picked up this pilot, I knew for sure this was gonna fail. I mean you are remaking a show that people use to watch in the 60s and isn’t remembered by many. Nostalgia will only get you so far. It needed to bring something else to the table and unfortunately it was just another procedural that clearly people are tired of. Hopefully Blair Underwood can get on a show soon that is worthy of the man’s talents. YAY Community is back though; probably for it’s final season.

• stephanie says:

I agree with your analysis on the failure of Ironside. NBC had a great thing when they had Blair Underwood but unfortunately the show wasn’t the right gig for him. Bring back LA Law.