NBC Officially Orders ‘Bible’ Follow-Up Miniseries

Mark Burnett Roma Downey The Bible

News broke in July that Mark Burnett and Roma Downey had set the follow-up to History mini “The Bible” at NBC. Today, the Peacock made the project official, greenlighting the 12-hour miniseries titled “A.D.” for a spring 2015 debut.

“Last year when Mark Burnett was launching ‘The Bible’ on cable, I told him, without hesitation, that if he wanted to tell more of the story, we’d love to do it at NBC,” said Robert Greenblatt, Chairman, NBC Entertainment. “We are firmly in the ‘event’ business and nothing has more event potential than ‘A.D.’ as it continues immediately after the ‘The Bible’ ended. The heft of a broadcast network, combined with the promotional arms of NBCUniversal and Comcast, will push this miniseries to a mass audience. We value our relationship with Mark and Roma and know that no one could bring this story to life better than them.”

Simon Block is attached to “A.D.” as scribe. Cast and director have yet to be announced.

“The Bible,” which ran this spring on History, secured 13 million viewers during its premiere, and closed out its run with 11.7 million viewers, topping timeslot competitor “Walking Dead.”

“A.D.” will be produced by LightWorkers Media. Burnett, Downey and Richard Bedser are exec producing.

1. If you show THE BIBLE series again in the US, please show it on NBC… My 87 yr. old mother doesn’t have Cable and couldn’t see it before…. If it was on NBC, she could see it … I really want her to see it !

2. Jean Young says:

I missed the Bible series also, and would love to see it. Please run it again in the U.S.

3. Mary Bean says:

Please rerun the Bible series so we who missed it can see it. We were traveling and did not have access for some of the series.

4. Jenny says:

Ha…..now NBC needs to go knocking on the Robertson family door and pull them over to Network and they’ll be set for what is actually “mainstream” in America.

5. Ravi kumar says:

To know

6. Ray Mercier says:

So I bought the series from Google Play and never got the entire series! are you ever going to finish it guys? 11 Commandment should read “Thou shalt not rip off thy customers”…..

7. jocelyn says:

MerryXmas to all people and advance Happy newyear

8. nomad says:

People these people making this are rich and spoiled and live in Malibu on the beach, they are making money from this, God does not really bless people. Trust me I know. I have lived through chronic hell over and over and over again for 25 years and prayed my heart out and never did anything wrong and i am considered very talented by some and I cannot get work and I am ill and so much has happened to me. No way in hell do I believe God exists, I even know who my soulmate is and I cannot get to him, everyone blocks me from him. God only blesses some and I have no idea why! I now am an unbeliever!
    I will never trust God again, he is evil….There is so much evil in this world and I live in fear daily and I live horribly and pray daily and god does nothing…I have no idea why these people are blessed who created this, because there are so many who suffer so and I am one of them, so no way God you do not get my vote, you are evil in my eyes…after all I have had to live through such heartbreak and pain and poor and no family at christmas and live in dog pee and I do not even have dogs and I live beyond what I am, I am so much more than this….God is nothing in my eyes… he is evil.

• andrea says:

@nomad I am so sorry. My heart truly hurts for you! God has not abandonded you – I know it can feel like this when things aren’t going the way we think they should. Please don’t give up, be honest with Him, He knows your heart, cry out to Him & He will answer you (may not be in the way you think He should). I will be pray ing for you & hope that the Lord of all fills your heart with all the love He has just for you!! <3

• memerejackie says:

Today, was not my best day, actually it was one of the worst days I have had since my husband of 51 years passed away in 2012. But I do not blame God, I can make choices and I chose to stay in my misery today and paid the price of heartache and physical heart pain. I didn’t wait for God to get me out of it, although I did come in contact with people today who care about me, I am fortunate to have people in my life that care. This is why I know that God cares. I am sorry that you have not found anyone who can verify to you that God cares for you, you have not been in a circle of friends who care, maybe it’s time to look elsewhere. Go to a soup kitchen, an AA meeting, the YMCA or even a church, any church, there are many good people around who care and want to give others the love that comes from God.

Roma & her husband Mark, seem on the surface to have it all but don’t be deceived by appearances, many hide their vulnerability and cover up there inner feelings. No one is perfect and everyone has his or her own demons to deal with, you are dealing with yours in your way and others their way.

It’s never too late to change direction unless you love living in your misery. Today, I have had enough misery to last me for awhile. Tomorrow I will look elsewhere for love.

• . says:

What kind of nut case are you

9. memerejackie says:

Hoping to get NBC to at least give some consideration to having Biblical scholars to commentary the series. We have to expose the Bible with a more profound understanding and not the fundamental way of literal translation. God’s revelations continue way past the final word written in the Bible

10. Enough of Burnett’s inacurate Bible stories!!!!

11. audrey says:

Will the Bible miniseries be rerun? If so, when and where? It would be nice to see it before seeing AD but NOT necessarily RIGHT BEFORE.

12. memerejackie says:

Dear Roma,
    I have been in touch with you numerous times and I am old enough to be your mother. I have 3 adult daughters all married & 8 grandchildren. I have been blessed.

Like yourself, I was born and raised a Roman Catholic, my father went to seminary, I have 2 uncles who became priests & 3 aunt religious. 2 aunts still living. i grew up with believing what my parents believed, it was not until my mid-30’s, when I had a spiritual experience, that I started thinking about my own convictions and making my own decisions on the path to follow Christ.

I have written a bio on my website; http://thegrowingtree.vpweb.com
    as well as a book (not published) “Christ is Counting on You”, which can be linked from my website.

Roma, you have been blessed in many ways and have blessed many with your ongoing love of God. Along with your husband Mark you are now bringing Christ to many through your epic movies. All well done but still needing clarification for the masses.

After watching your Bible mini-series and some of the time with my grandchildren. I asked myself; “what is missing”? The answer is commentaries on scripture. I found myself having to explain to my grandchildren & friends certain stories that should not be taken literally.

Having owned my own religious book shop from 1975-1989, I came across many wonderful authors who have devoted their lives to the study of the Bible. Since then, I have kept close watch & have read many more, one never grows tired of learning about God and His works.

Here are some of my recommended authors:
    Carroll Stuhlmueller
    Frederick Buechner
    Walter Brueggemann
    Elaine Pagels
    I think this would be a good start.

May you and your family have a Blessed Christmas & New Year,
    Jackie St Hilaire
    62 Louis St.
    Manchester, NH 03102

13. aliston bridgens says:

Hi I believe that this is one sure way of repairing our spiritual status

14. I believe that many more people will watch a mini series about the Bible just as they did when the series was first shown. I myself watched it with my family and friends. Please do more about the Bible.

15. Karen Leonard says:

Loved. The movie the bible

16. Kimberly says:

I am looking forward to see it.

17. can’t wait for this one

18. God has answered many prayers. Thank you NBC, for stepping up and giving the viewers what they want and what this world needs. What a blessing.

19. Great news!

THe fruits of many prayers are now seeing. Blessings to the productions team, and to Hollywood!!

20. juliesparkle says:

I love you guys and what you have brought to all of the world of ENTERTAINTMENT!! I can ask my daughter to tell her friend to watch this wonderful show!!!!!!!!

21. Oh my goodness, this is WONDERFUL NEWS!!! People need Christ now more than ever. I really believe we are in our end times now. People all over the world need all they can see and hear about Jesus. God bless all of you for doing this. God put this in your minds and hearts to do. He is making this possible…. What a blessing to know this.. Thanks to all of you..

22. araceli says:

Awesome!!! On regular T.V. This is great NBC!!!!!!!

23. joshua may says:

I just hope this one is on point with the truth of the real story unlike the BIBLE series, it was way off and it didnt have to be.your ratings would be alot better

24. inusa chaba says:

we bless God the good wok u r doing

25. Im so thrilled that nbc is doing the Bible series on regular Television! Our Country needs God back in their lives!