NBC News Anchor Brian Williams to Undergo Knee Surgery

Brian williams nbc nightly news

NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams announced on Thursday’s show that he will be taking a leave of absence to have knee surgery.

The 54 year-old host is expected to miss several weeks with Lester Holt filling in beginning mid-next week.

Williams said he injured the leg years ago while playing high school football.

“I’ve been in pain for 35 years,” he said. “I reached a point recently in the last 12 months where I decided this has to happen and to be mathematical about it.”

Williams took over as NBC Nightly News anchor in 2004.

1. Joan says:

Good luck Brian – I enjoy your news every evening, you will be missed but a speedy recovery is what is most important

2. Betsy Dixon says:

Good Luck to you Brian Williams. We watch your news every night! I wish you well and a speedy recovey. Physical Therapy is the key to getting well!!

3. Brian: We watch your newscast all the time,I had knee surgery 3 weeks ago,I am doing just fine,we are hoping you a full recovery

4. Diane Shrigley says:

Brian,

Good luck to you! I’ve had both mine done this year, the first on January 9 and the second done June 26th and I have never felt better! Back to work in 2 1/2 weeks each time and feeling almost back to normal in just 5 weeks! You will not regret it!

Diane

5. Gloria Ustica says:

Just don’t rush back, make sure you are ready for your daily duties. You will be missed, but your health is more important. Prayers are with you.

6. Pat smith says:

My husband had both knees operated on. Only two days in hospital, three in rehab, home for a week. Driving the car in two weeks. No pain ever. He wanted you to know.

7. Carmela says:

I am 70 years old and have had both knees replaced. I had my right knee done in January and 12 weeks later I had my left knee replaced. After each surgery I was up and walking at my bedside within two hours of the surgery. I won’t say it was easy but the important thing is to keep moving and do all your exercises.
    I wish you a speedy recovery.
    Sincerely
    Carm

8. Carl LaFong says:

Williams first announced this on Letterman a couple of weeks ago

9. John Roshala says:

Brian Williams
    Brian, I also injured my knee and had Knee Replacement Surgery on May 13th 2013. I had a in house Nurse and Therapist for 2 weeks and Went to Therapy for twice a week for 1 month. This helped tremendously in my recovery.
    Do not rush anything, that’s very very important. Learn from all therapist help to continue exercising. My current numbers are bending knee to 0 degrees. The number when you can have your knee straight. My bending of my knee is 125 out of 130 degrees. You do get pain medication for pain. After 2 months plus I did have a nagging pain that kept me awake at night, and my sleeping habits reversed sleeping at day and up and down night sleep. It was a pain that at night made me uncomfortable. Almost having a tooth ache that hurts more at night. I did have my family Doctor prescribe me sleeping pills so my sleeping habits could get back to normal. I only took 1 month supply, so I wouldn’t have to depend on medication. I am 65 and have had knee pain since 1965.
    Just hang in there and listen to everything the have you do for a faster recovery.
    A special prayer to you Brian,
    John Roshala

10. Good evening Brian,

Knee pain is horrible. I wish you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

You’ll be missed and I have confidence in Lester Holt. I enjoy him on the weekend broadcast.