‘Longmire’ Wraps a Strong Second Season Monday for A&E

Longmire Season wrap

It hits highs, stands as the net's most popular scripted series to date; 'Glades' closes well too

A&E, the network that’s scoring big this summer with the comedic shenanigans of “Duck Dynasty,” also has a good story to tell in drama.

The Wyoming-set crime drama “Longmire” wrapped its second year with season-highs Monday, solidifying itself as the network’s most-watched scripted skein to date. And veteran “The Glades” capped its year with highs as well.

“Longmire,” from Warner Horizon Television and based on the “Walt Longmire” series of mystery novels by Craig Johnson, averaged 4.42 million viewers with its finale, including 1.37 million adults 18-49 and 1.46 million adults 25-54, according to Nielsen.

In Nielsen’s most current season-to-date tallies (which includes full-week DVR playback where available), “Longmire” was averaging about 5.4 million viewers — on par with last year  — while growing 6% from last year in both adults 18-49 (1.13 million vs. 997,000) and 25-54 (1.46 vs. 1.38 million).

On Monday, “Longmire” was the night’s No. 1 scripted cable series in key demos while ruling as the most-watched cable show overall. For the summer, it is basic cable’s No. 6-rated drama in adults 25-54 — ahead of shows including USA’s “Suits,” TNT’s “Graceland” and Lifetime’s “Devious Maids.”

A&E’s success with “Longmire” comes on the heels of a good first-season run earlier this year for “Bates Motel.”

The cabler’s other current scripted drama, “The Glades,” wrapped its fourth season on Monday, leading into “Longmire.” It averaged 1.09 million adults 18-49, 1.28 million adults 25-54 and 3.41 million viewers overall — also season highs.

Neither “The Glades,” from Fox TV Studios, nor “Longmire” has been picked up yet for next year.

1. Jackie says:

Just love Longmire – sure wish it could have a few segments in the winter – it is a long time until next summer – never get tired of looking at Robert Taylor

2. M. Ball says:

Please don’t cancel Longmire- love it

3. Grace says:

Hope Longmire is renewed! I watched all two years of it and am looking for more

4. Karen says:

This is the best show on television… Original, interesting, great characters. This is the only show I look forward to and would not miss. PLEASE renew!!

5. Joyce Lawrence says:

What are you thinking, Don’t drop Longmier, it is actually a show worth watching.

6. J Baetzel says:

Please, please, PLEASE pick this show up for next year…. and many more years!! I love this show! The cast the story lines, the subtle humor….. it’s all good!

7. jo stevenson says:

I love longmire! it is well acted, well written and well filmed(beautiful location!). best on tv!!! cannot wait for the next season!!! please, please– don’t go walt and gang!!!

8. Laurie says:

I sure can not wait until the next season for Longmire as I sure is a very good show……

9. Sara Roberts says:

I can’t wait for more Longmire, it’s addictive…hope we don’t have to wait a whole year for the next season!!

10. Angie Faucette says:

Really hope Longmire is renewed, we need more tv like Longmire.

11. Michelle Awtrey says:

Love this show! I hope it gets picked up next year.

12. mary horton says:

I sure hope it gets picked up for next year. I have gotten all my family into watching this show. Its well written and keeps you wanting more

13. PamAnn says:

There are story “threads” from Craig Johnson’s Longmire novels incorporated into every episode, which makes watching this series even more interesting (Read the books! They’re awesome.). There is so much junk TV on, that to have a few really engaging shows for adults like Longmire (very character-driven) and Justified (aptly named) is really gratifying. I hope Longmire has a Season 3 and beyond. I also hope that the show starts to follow some of the books’ storylines a little more closely. Would make for some mighty interesting dynamics.

14. Carolyn says:

The characters on Longmire are wonderfully complex, and the story lines are getting more intertwined as time goes on. Please renew, or better yet, get picked up by a non cable network so more people can tune in. There is so much junk on tv, and I am so sick of so called “reality” shows….please give us more scripted drama….LONGMIRE.

15. Phil says:

Longmire is is good enough to be picked up by one of the major networks. A&E has a big winner here. I have watched every episode from both years and recommended it to all my friends and they now do not miss an episode. Longmire is one of the top ten programs on television this year.

16. Lynda Sisco says:

We love Longmire! Hoping to see it return next year and a few more after that!

17. Longmire is my favorite US TV Program. It must be renewed for Season 3 or picked up by another channel that will stream it on line.

18. KO' says:

Longmire just gets better and better. I hope it gets renewed, and for MORE episodes.

19. Lowell says:

First I read all the books . . . now I’m watchin’ all the shows . . . and, I expect Longmire to be renewed for season No. 3 any day now. (Note to all you reporter types: Craig Johnson is great copy. Have your recorders ready!)

20. Christine says:

Definitely want my Longmire
    back next season,!

21. Brian says:

Longmire needs to be renewed ASAP. As for The Glades, it’s OK, but if Longworth was sued for every person he falsely arrests, his dept would be bankrupt paying the legal fees. Love watching Walt, Vic, Henry and company though: one of the best programs on TV/

22. Jll says:

The Glades need to be renew ASAP!

23. flmabon says:

They really need to renew #Longmire!

• Karen Renfroe-Gielgens says:

We really like Longmire and Glades, finally some quality tv. Please renew both of these series!!!!