‘Homeland’ Season 3 Premiere Leaks Online

Homeland third season review

Hundreds of thousands of downloads via BitTorrent over past 24 hours

The first episode of season 3 of the popular Showtime series “Homeland” has been leaked online nearly a full month before its Sept. 29 premiere.

Hundreds of thousands of copies of the premiere episode have been downloaded over various BitTorrent networks over the past 24 hours.

Showtime declined to comment.

The circulating copy resembles the screener handed to critics at July’s Television Critics Association event in Los Angeles. The version in question is missing both the opening credits and a few special effects.

The leak could cut both ways for Showtime, depending on your view of piracy. While the early sampling could conceivably eat into the audience that might otherwise subscribe to Showtime, another school of thought dictates that such a sneak peek has promotional power, spreading the word in advance of the premiere.

Last month, Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes suggested he was actually glad to see “Game of Thrones” get pirated for exactly the latter reason.

“Homeland” is produced by Fox 21, a division of 20th Century Fox TV.

1. Carl R White says:

The guy said he would give me $5 for my 1990 screener of Cop Rock which I had never watched…..guess that explains why I hated Homeland so much….guess I should not have told my editor I had watched the first 2 seasons…oops.

2. Megapipe Lightbridge says:

There was no disclaimer saying it was a screener, so it made Showtime look like they just don’t care or have gone broke. It was HILARIOUS. Did you hear the voiceover placeholders? SO FUNNY

3. James Hoarth says:

I Unblocked BitTorrent to watch the leaked episode with http://www.webproxy.net .

4. deborah holt says:

Well now isnt that great…twc just recently returned CBS and Showtime back on air. Ive missed everything and i hope they lost a lot of money. As of Sept. 3rd 2013.

5. Flangela Anoos says:

Spreading the word that ‘Homeland’ jumped both Kim and the cougar in the middle of Season 2?

Gah.

I’m off to rewatch ‘Rubicon’ again…

Or possibly the screenplay for DAMAGED SOLDIERS which I’ve heard is REALLY AMAZING.

6. Angela fanos says:

best script written is by an author named Harry Georgatos. The script is titled DAMAGED SOLDIERS. It’s about a CIA psychiatrist who erases the minds of war veterans who have committed war crimes through deep hypnosis. One veteran refuses not to remember and becomes a drifter roaming the streets of America followed and monitored by government agents. Best script since THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE and anyone who loves HOMELAND will love DAMAGED SOLDIERS.

7. Jamie Richards says:

What kind of CEO says it’s OKAY to steal? Does that mean that it’s OKAY to steal all of Time Warner products? Why should one be different from another. It seems irresponsible for the head of a company to openly suggest that being a thief is a good thing.

8. steeleword says:

The problem with the “school of thought” that piracy has promotional value is that since BitTorrent took off us home video revenues are down 25 pct and music revenues are down 50 pct.

9. GG says:

I bet most of the downloaders are Time Warner customers who currently aren’t able to access Showtime. This includes me so anybody know how I can get a copy?

• w629 says:

GG, a standard search of “how can I watch (fill in your favorite pay TV show here)online for free” will yield multiple results. Some sites are better than others. Once the genie is out of the bottle, there’s no putting him/her back.