Get Off the Couch! TV Channel for Dogs Coming to DirecTV

Get Off the Couch! TV Channel

Satcaster to launch DogTV network on Aug. 1 for $4.99 per month, after promotional free period

Release the hounds: DogTV — touted as the first TV network aimed at man’s best friend — is a real 24-hour channel that will be unleashed on DirecTV starting Aug. 1.

For the first two weeks of August, DogTV will be available for free to any DirecTV subscriber. Pooch owners who register to subscribe before Aug. 10 will receive 30 days free through mid-September, after which the channel will be $4.99 per month. In addition, those signing up for the early-dog special will receive a PetHub dog ID tag and $10 coupon codes for PetBest.com and Dog Is Good.

According to PTV Media, the company behind DogTV, it spent more than four years developing and testing a 24-hour TV channel aimed at pups of all breeds.

Until now DogTV has been available only in San Diego, launched last year with Cox Communications and Time Warner Cable, as well as online and through Roku Internet set-tops for $9.99 per month.

What, exactly, is on the network? Forget human-oriented fare like “Old Yeller” or “Lassie”: DogTV’s programming comprises 3- to 6-minute video clips in three categories: relaxation, stimulation and “exposure,” which centers on segments designed to habituate dogs to domestic stimuli (like riding in a car with a toddler).

“The dog-approved programming content was created to entertain, relax and stimulate stay-at-home dogs, so owners don’t come home to ripped-up couches, shredded magazines or a favorite pair of heels chewed to bits,” the company says.

As part of promoting DogTV’s launch on DirecTV, PTV is running a “MyDogTV” casting call to find dogs to be featured in a special “My Dog” program on the network. Users can upload videos via DogTV’s page on Facebook or Instagram account before July 15.

According to DogTV, the network is recognized by the Humane Society of the United States and uses concepts supported by organizations including the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA).

OK, but do dogs really watch TV — or is this just a gimmick aimed at people who love their canine companions as if they were children? The network cites a survey conducted by the American Kennel Club and IAMS dog food that found nearly half of dog owners said their pets showed “some interest” in what was happening on the TV screen.

To boost its cred, DogTV says it’s worked with several experts to develop the pooch-specific programming, including Prof. Nicholas Dodman, director of the animal behavior department of clinical sciences at Tufts University, and Victoria Stilwell, star of Animal Planet’s “It’s Me or the Dog.”

No word on when Nielsen will be able to track U.S. dog viewers.

1. Bob Goetzinger says:

My dogs watch it. & I would like the free one month subscription.

2. I am going to make this simple.. DOG TV IS A RIP OFF!!! Its all smoke and mirrors. I put on animal planet or the national geographic channel and they love it. Also the so called “relaxation mode” Dog TV boasts is almost the same night time tv and music you see on Baby TV LOL. Its the exact same thing!!!

Its nothing more than a bunch of vets trying to get in your pocket with a bunch of snake oil salesman pitches and tactics

Save your money!!!!!

3. hooligan1958 says:

My dogs prefer alternative media and Rin Tin Tin reruns.

4. Seabass says:

What’s it called? MSNBC?

5. False Hope says:

With the crap they put on TV nowadays the programming should be for the birds instead of the dogs!!!

6. $4.99/month? Isee the future. I see about $16.00 in gross sales for this new channel. That is all now. Woof!

• mmix says:

I don’t know. My dog watches TV (she particularly likes Grizzly Man, the story of the guy who lived with the Grizzlies in Alaska until he was eaten by them, I think she loves the parts with the foxes) and I may get this to put in her room for while we’re working. Maybe I’ll be one of the only three to four people you predict to get this, but I’d bet there are more like me than you’d think.

• Mo K. says:

My Westie has always been interested in TV. I’m trying the free preview now, and both she *and* my little Chihuahua/Poodle mix are watching. They particularly like the scenes of dogs running after a ball on the beach. The “stimulation” hour includes random sounds like bells, duck quacks, an occasional “good boy!”, etc. I think it’s a brilliant idea, and def. worth the $5/mo.

7. mtnman28709 says:

Finally, a new job for Oprah …

8. Ken Heard says:

How about a weekly series titled ” Blondi and Alfie ” highlighting the lovable misadventures of Blondi and his master, Aldolph Hitler. This series is truly the ultimate buddy show that only a dog an appreciate

9. we have two great danes that ride the golf cart with me.. i ll send video. pretty funny

10. Dogs do not want to watch other dogs sleeping. They want to watch cats getting run over by go-karts.

11. bob says:

78% better than anything with a “Real Housewife” on it.

12. adam says:

dogs do not see in 2D… you could put a huge picture of just my face on the tv and my dog would not recognize … what a horrendous idea

• JD says:

I believe the researchers at Tufts are aware what the dogs can see (colors, depth, etc) as well as hear. They have taken that into account when creating the channel.

13. Ron Shafer says:

Even if it was written by dogs for dogs it would probably be better than the drivel were getting on cable TV now.

• Brent says:

Actually some dogs can recognize an object in 2d that is the same as an object in 3d. A dog was shown a picture of a toy and the dog was able to retrieve that specific toy from a pile of 30 different toys. It was a NOVA special on PBS called “Dogs Decoded.” My friend has a rottweiler and barks at images of humans and other dogs on the TV screen. Some dogs may not respond and some will. It is interesting to follow the evolution of canine intelligence.

• Jeanne says:

I agree with Brent. My dog can sit quietly watching tv until a dog comes on the screen, doesn’t even need to be barking, he recognizes it as another dog immediately. He will jump and bark at the tv and then go straight to the window and quickly “survey the yard” to make sure he has chased the dog away. I am considering getting this channel simply to desensitize him to this..in real life he is a very friendly dog but feels protective when dogs are on tv.

14. Steve says:

Exactly what demographic will the advertisers be going after? Males 3-6? That would equate to 21-42 “people” demo.

15. SerfCityHereWeCome says:

This is what’s known as getting ahead of a trend. Thanks to the Obama Depression, dogs now have the highest disposable income (by default) in the typical Amerikan household.

16. The Puppy Channel(R) approves! We love doglovers and wish DogTV success. We KNOW they are good people. Woof !

17. Jimi Mack says:

In response to hundreds of calls regarding the new pay channel, a spokesman for DirecTV assured viewers that Keeping Up With The Kardashians will still be free.

18. This was a joke in a scene between Robert Mitchum and Bill Murray in 1988’s ‘Scrooged’. Now it is reality.

19. Todd says:

“The dog-approved programming content was created to entertain, relax and stimulate stay-at-home dogs, so owners don’t come home to ripped-up couches, shredded magazines or a favorite pair of heels chewed to bits,” because, just like kids, parking the dog in front of the tv is much easier than actually exersizing it and playing with it. Sounds like this is for the sort of person that wants a dog as an accessory rather than a live animal.

• Jeanne says:

I can’t speak for all, Todd, but I don’t agree with that as far as replacing exercise/play with tv for dogs. I have time before and after work to play with and exercise my dog..I would plan on using this program more of a training tool..to expose Bruce to different things..and maybe make him less likely to bark at the tv every time I try to watch Animal Planet! I DO agree that parents stick their kids in front of tv way too much (I am a nanny, TV is very limited for the kids I watch over), but unless you are using it as a “training” tool <such as the Einstein series, or Baby Can Read program, it becomes a substitute for physical and intellectual stimulation. Trust me when I say my dog is by no means an accessory in my life..he is my "child", and is treated with the same love and respect. Besides, if people did use this as a alternative to exer/play, they are going to pay for that soon enough..with behavior issues, obesity and resentment…

20. Bill says:

My Yorkie (or maybe Australian Silkie?) watches TV and gets furious when other dogs appear on the screen, even cartoon dogs. He even knows the music that goes with dog commercials and charges into the room barking before the dog appears. We cannot watch programs or movies with dogs and even horses get him worked up. I fear dog TV would drive him over the edge.

21. Scrooged was definitely ahead of its time.

• Kristina says:

My dachshund mini does the same, very jealous of any dog on TV and she hates every single Capital One commercial she barks the whole time it is on. She can be asleep in another room and when she hears Capital One she goes completely mad!

• Christian says:

Could be a strong dislike for Alec Baldwin. I do the exact same thing everything a capital one commercial comes on and it’s driving my wife crazy…

22. Bilbo Baggins says:

My dog loves TV if it involves active dogs or horses. He has a thing for westerns. This is Tele Tubbies for dogs and would even elicit a response.

23. Porcelainmonkey1977 says:

More like Scatcaster

24. Frank says:

I won’t let my dog watch t.v. anymore. After the third year of Oprah my dog started bitching about everything. After the two episodes of the Jerry Springer Spaniel show she wanted a sex change operation! No can do.

25. Ken Puck says:

Defines “wretched excess.” You know we’ve arrived at terminal self-indulgence when dogs are “accessories” and have their own channel.

26. Matt says:

I have a relaive with a West Highland Terrior that watches TV if there are any animals on it especially dogs. Occassionally he will jump at the TV but then just sits there facinated. He watches the animals go back and forth on the screen. He loves it.

27. iambicpentamaster says:

DirecTV?

Makes sense, what with all those cast-off rooftop dishes being used as fire hydrants these days.

28. I am 58 years old and in my life only saw one dog ever actually watch TV..ONE dog. He was my Standard Schnauzer “Blitz”. I have had Schnauzers for over 40 years. My friends and I would MARVEL at the fact that he would watch TV. I mean WATCH it, react to what’s on, become engaged. He would not watch everything, mainly stuff that featured animals, like the “Lassie” episodes with Robert Bray as the forest ranger. He would get up when he heard the closing theme of the previous show “Dobie Gillis” and sit in front of the set. He would be excited when the opening theme music would commence. He would react to factors in the plot !!! Once an “Alfred Hitchcock Presents” episode came on that Bray was starring in, Blitz recognized him and watched the whole thing. Dig this: we were watching the film “The incredible Shrinking Man, and we got to the part where the house cat attacks the shrunken hero in a doll house, Blitz was disturbed, whining etc. during this sequence, and when the commercial break came he chased our cat out of the room !!! I’m sure other dogs watch TV also, I just never heard or saw it.

29. RLABruce says:

TV has gone to the dogs.

30. David Gurney says:

Dogs are so 20th Century.

31. arlen says:

Eh, I don’t think I will be getting this channel, because my dogs really prefer reading a good book, instead of watching a bunch of mind numbing tv.

32. Mike says:

Directv finds room to broadcast DOG TV but cannot listen to thousands of viewers asking for The Blaze Channel. Good customer service!!!LOL

33. Diane says:

“According to DogTV, the network is recognized by The Humane Society of the United States.”

The same Humane Society of the United States that uses images of shelter dogs and cats in it’s fundraising ads, while running no shelters and giving less than 1% of it’s income to pet shelters?
    The ASPCA at least has a grant program and runs one shelter.

This is not a personal attack, but an effort to correct the false notion that HSUS meaningfully helps dogs and cats. Animal lovers deserve to know that it is a lobbying group for animal rights that uses natural disasters and the work of cash-strapped shelters and rescues to raise enormous sums of money that does not go where most of HSUS’s donors are led to believe. Charity Watch, the only independent national watchdog, gives HSUS a D grade for spending 49% of donations on fundraising. All of the above (representing the tip of the iceberg on HSUS) can easily be verified.

34. If you want something on a dog’s mental level try MSNBC.

35. Joe in JT says:

I’m surprised Direct TV didn’t charge me $2.99 for simply reading this article. Here’s a memo to all TV providers, “I am one Geico commercial away from cancelling my Dish Network”. You people think the general public will stand for 30 minutes of commercials during a 1 hour program, endless ads like Progressive Insurance and Discover Card that insults your intelligence but I’m here to tell you the publics patience is wearing very thin. I could easily just use my laptop and internet for all my entertainment. This “New” network with the dog program would be nice for my dog and I to watch but instead of simply adding it in to our current programming you want to charge us an arm and a leg, well Direct TV you are treading on thin ice.

36. manniep says:

It’s not aimed at dogs. It’s aimed at the idiots who treat dogs like people.

37. James says:

Certainly the pooches will be watching Fox News.

38. Arturo says: