Fox News Channel’s ‘The Five’ Turns Two, Moves Up to No. 2

The five Fox News

Afternoon panel talkshow has successfully filled the gap left by Glenn Beck's former show

As Fox News Channel’s “The Five” turns two today, it has some ratings news to help stoke the celebration.

The late-afternoon talkshow, on which five panelists examine the top news, controversies and issues of the day,  is now averaging more than 2 million viewers daily and has become the No. 2 cable news program, behind only the net’s “The O’Reilly Factor.”

At a time when young programs on competitors CNN and MSNBC have had difficulty getting much traction, “The Five” has seen its audience spike post-launch. According to Nielsen, the show’s average daily audience for the first six months of 2013 (2,096,000) was more than 50% higher than that for its early weeks in launch.

“The Five” took over the 5 p.m. ET slot formerly held by Glenn Beck, whose afternoon show was very popular at one point but ultimately became a tough one for Fox to sell to advertisers. That has not been a problem with “The Five,” whose roundtable, “The View”-like format has been well received from the start.

Because it airs earlier in the day, and when many younger adults aren’t available to watch, “The Five” skews a bit older than the network’s primetime programs. As a result, while it was up 25% overall in the first half of this year compared to last, it was basically flat in adults 25-54 (where it averages 339,000) and is cable news’ No. 3 daily news program in this category (behind FNC’s “The O’Reilly Factor” and “Hannity”).

In total viewers, “The Five” beats the combined averages in the 5 p.m. hour of CNN, MSNBC, HLN and CNBC, according to Nielsen. And in adults 25-54, it beats the combined deliveries of CNN and MSNBC (339,000 vs. 315,000).

The show features a rotating group of five co-hosts, which primarily include author and latenight host Greg Gutfeld; former Bush Press Secretary Dana Perino; former Democratic strategist Bob Beckel; former oil trader and ex-minor league baseball player Eric Bolling; New York Daily News columnist and radio talkshow host Andrea Tantaros; former Victoria Secret model and First Lady of San Francisco Kimberly Guilfoyle; and FNC contributor Juan Williams.

1. Judy Baugh says:

Kimberly complimented the young men of Future Farmers of America today on the show after Doucy talked about being in FFA. It is now officially called FFA and many young women are also members. My daughter just graduated after being an FFA officer for three years. She won many awards through contests that she was in. The organization teaches leadership, teamwork, parliamentary procedure and public speaking. It’s not just boys learning farming. It is a very important part of education that is training leaders of tomorrow.

2. Sue Johnson says:

Bob Beckel…Mississippi is the best kept secret in the United States! Yes, we DO say “Y’all,” “Ma’am,” and “Yes Sir,” but you will notice that we are in the top ten friendliest states in America. So…until you have lived among us and know how wonderful Mississippi is….don’t berate us!!!

3. Cynthia Chandler says:

I love the “Five”-all interesting personalities! I’ve grown to like Bob B-especially since his daughter may come to my Alma Mater UVA! And Mr. B I invite u to lunch whem u come to visit. I am on the opposite side of what u say but I am a certified mediator so I know how to listen and I want ubto convince me of ur positions
    Love u all-keep it going. Cindy Chandler-Afton, Va

4. Linda Fleisch says:

I agree with Constance Fuquay. Bob Beckel sits there like a big dumb bunny leaning back on his chair with his arms folded across his belly. He isn’t current with anything, and he does sound like an illiterate idiot. Eric Bolden cannot conduct an interview or a comment without looking at his notes and holding a pen in his hand for security. They constantly interrupt one another and try to talk over each other. Dana Perino is constantly interrupting. Kimberly and Andrea are easy to listen to and always seem to know what they are talking about. Guess I’ll go back to watching Dr. Phil.

5. L maxwell says:

quit swearing and I will watch you again

6. CONSTANCE FUQUAY says:

MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE FIVE EVER SINCE THEY HAVE BEEN ON THE AIR. I CANNOT SAY HOW DISSAPOINTED I AM THAT LATELY THEY ALL HAVE BEEN ACTING LIKE A BUNCHY OF FIVE YEAR OLDS. ESPECIALLY SINCE THEY LET BECKEL TAKE OVER MOST OF THE SHOW WITH HIS USUAL IGNORANT WAYS. HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT WORDS MEAN, HES AN ILLITERATE IDIOT. WHATS WRONG WITH THE SHOW LATELY. DISSAPOINTED IN TEXAS.. WE LOVED THIS SHOW, LOVED IT.

7. Francis J Kuhn says:

I agree with Rose marie Russell, Bob Beckell is useless for the 5 he lives in the past and his time now has past. BOB Beckle, He does not agree with the law, or what happen in Detroit. YET he most likely makes a hell of alot more moneys a year ten those he claims he is with just like the head of the NAACP OR THE OTHER IDIOT AL SHARPTON(I guess that is how his name is spelled). the only reason I watch the 5 is the other 4 have brains. I know if I ran fox I would can him, Francis Kuhn

8. Floyd Cousins says:

Eric Bolding an alternate juror was called a racist today because he would not show his face. This was totally uncalled for. A guy agrees to be interviewed by Fox and leaves being branded a racist. Maybe I am confused and was MSNBC.

9. RoseMarie Russell says:

Bob Beckle lives in the past –in his “hey day” of walking in civil rights marches etc.He is totally out of it on current events and gets on my nerves. He is often rude and insensitive to the others. They are generally very kind to him and I don’t know why. WhAT in heck does he bring to the program?!

10. JayFish says:

Guilfoyle is also an attorney, a former asst DA and has very nice lips.

11. Bill Osborne says:

Someone has to , since every other media and cable channel gives him and his administration a pass on everything…and what you call bashing is, in fact, just counterpoint. I guess if you on the left disagree with a viewpoint (ie: anything conservative), it must be demonized as:
    a) false
    b) racist
    c) Bush’s fault
    d) all of the above
    I imagine if you were sitting as Rome burned while Nero “fiddled”, you would denounce the alarms as annoying noise interfering with the arpeggios.