Fox Gives Full Season Pickup to Seth MacFarlane’s ‘Dads’

Fox Renews Dads for Second Season

Tuesday comedy has been a draw with young men

Fox has given a back-nine pickup to “Dads,” the frosh live-action comedy from Seth MacFarlane and “Ted” scribes Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild.

The order for the 20th Century Fox TV comedy had been expected, especially after Fox renewed its other new Tuesday comedy “Brooklyn Nine Nine” last week. “Dads,” which stars Seth Green and Giovanni Ribisi as two guys who live with their oddball fathers (Martin Mull and Peter Riegert), is notable for being the net’s first multi-camera comedy in years.

“Dads” has so far delivered only modest numbers in the lead-off 8 p.m. slot. But its delayed-viewing stats are respectable and the show is a draw with young men. For its first three telecasts, “Dads” has drawn 14.7 million viewers when DVR, VOD and streaming numbers are factored in with its live ratings.

In its most recent outing, “Dads” delivered 3.6 million viewers and 1.4 rating/4 share in adults 18-49, in Nielsen’s live plus same-day rating.

“Fox has been looking to break into the multi-camera format for some time,” said Reilly. “With ‘Dads,’ we have an asset that we can grow, and we’re looking forward to seeing where the fantastic cast and the creative minds of Seth, Alec, Mike and Wellesley take us the rest of the season.”

In addition to MacFarlane, Sulkin and Wild, “Dads” is exec produced by Mike Scully.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 3

Leave a Reply

3 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. Phillis says:

    I expect something like this from Charlie Sheen, it’s why I like him. But, seeing Ribisi in the cheap seats, the best word to describe my reaction is dejected. Even disappointment. He’s a monster talent, and anybody who saw his interpretation of baseball bat and blue diamond scenes knows it. He can be a total nobody, sit in a beat up truck and emotionally fall apart, and the scene is incendiary.

    Even his barely-there snippets in Avatar were shining moments in an egocentric movie that desperately needed to respect it’s audience enough to deliver more than it ever intended. I’m not saying Ribisi isn’t funny. I’m saying, seeing his range is something you don’t forget. It’s Gone With The Wind meets Prince of Tides. Hollywood Madam just feels out of place here.

    What a supreme waste of talent. His a gift suitable for delivery by way of a box office, not an idiot box. Why his talent has never been on a marquee speaks to the inability of Hollywood to generate anything more than a neatly wrapped, slicked up sales pitch. Here’s hoping the gravitation of Ribisi’s star will pull TV dinner fare across the threshold, and into the palatable range.

    Thanks for everything, Giovanni, you’ve been an asset. Don’t sell out. This is far enough.

  2. cadavra says:

    I realize I’m in the minority, but I really enjoy the retro joke-spraying tone of the show, and the cast is top-notch (Brenda Song is truly, uh, unsung). So I for one am happy by this news. (And I’m not a young male, either.)

  3. Cole says:

    This show is so stale! I bet Fox only ordered the extra episodes because they didn’t want to piss off McFarland. But they should have been strong enough to cancel it outright.

More TV News from Variety

Loading