‘Duck Dynasty’: Phil Robertson Suspended Indefinitely Following Anti-Gay Remarks

Duck Dynasty

“Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson has been placed on indefinite hiatus from the reality program following his controversial remarks in GQ magazine regarding homosexuality. While the cast member has not officially been fired, he will not be filming with the show moving forward.

A+E Networks, parent company of  A&E, has released the following statement to Variety:

“We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty. His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community.”

As noted in a previous Variety article, Robertson discusses in his GQ  interview his religious beliefs and about sin, saying, “start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.” Then, the GQ writer paraphrases Corinthians saying, “don’t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers — they won’t inherit the kingdom of God. Don’t deceive yourself. It’s not right.”

Robertson added in the interview, “It seems like, to me, a vagina — as a man — would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”

“Duck Dynasty” has been a ratings juggernaut for A&E, recently drawing around 9 million viewers for its Christmas special. Gurney Prods.-produced program can move on without Phil Robertson attached to the series, as the bearded men at the center of the Robertson clan include Jase, Willie and Uncle Si, among others.

1. David taylor says:

Why isn’t he giving the same consideration as the gays… he has just as much right to speak out against it they have to speak out for what’s wrong with you people you’re taking away our civil liberties and our constitutional rights of freedom of speech and when somebody doesn’t do things your way you segregate them I say boycott A&E Networks.

2. octavia says:

He said nothing wrong. I don’t feel as though everyone has to accept the gay community. We all still have the right to our own belief. I don’t feel thats a reason to cancel the show or fire him.

3. Carl hoilman says:

I liked Duck Dynasty and I didn’t see anything wrong with what he said. He was just putting thing in order and I don’t see nothing wrong with it!!! God will see them through this and he knows you all was in the write… God bless you Duck Dynasty…

4. Andy Collins says:

This will stop me from watching. Phil is a big part of the show. His views are his own. And if your not sure? Read your bible. Racism is exploited by the media; one person simply expressed his views and everybody’s rattled. WAKE UP AMERICA !!!!! If you don’t like his words don’t watch the show. Real or otherwise.

5. Trancy says:

That’s funny.. Because most of the people on the bottom of the list.. I have no idea who they are.. And do you REALLY count Ricky Martin next to Alexander the Great? I bet 90% of the population has no clue who Ricky Martin is.. and 100 years from now, nobody will ever know or care..

6. Kim says:

To Jennifer:
    I think you’re right about Phil getting his own reality show. He should and I would probably watch then.

7. Jennifer says:

Someone should give Phil Robertson his own reality show, and no doubt it would have much higher ratings in no time, while “Duck Dynasty” epically is forgotten.

8. jack says:

You can not have a real opion anymore. Lieing about your true thoughts is more a virtue now a days then truths. Do what thou wilt in a free society. Be gay if thats how your creater made you. But do not despise all who disagree, or openly oppose homosexuality. Its only been a very short time that this has been an acceptable behavior. It is strange how such a small percentage of society influence the majority. In some states you can still be fired for being gay. Myself my opion has changed with age. No one chooses a life of ridicule. This is how they were made. Same as those who disagree. But are made to feel bad for stating their true opinions.

9. Don Boehly says:

I’m a pro cyclist and a international hero for 911. I’m also gay. I almost can’t believe that this man would make those remarks. Its obvious that he has not been well educated in the gay sexuality. But I will say this for him, he broke one commandment, thou shall not commit adultery. But here you all punish him for he expressed his opinion. Which everyone has the right to free speach. We are not right to judge him, only one man can do that… more over I don’t watch your program because I cannot afford cable or satellete services. There was a time I could watch reality TV, but not now, when everything is digital.

10. Kimberly says:

Nina, I forgot to mention one more thing, in response to you saying, “A&E is giving Phil a platform to spread his poison”….homosexuals are given platforms all the time and, quite frankly, everyone is not interested!!!

11. Nina Beanito says:

They (Duck people) are bigots, racists and just a disgrace as human beings and the worst shame is in offering them a platform to spread that poison. Religious freedom is not the issue here; the issue is those who judge everyone around them for not living and not believing as they do. Don’t we have enough hatred in this world without someone broadcasting it? And, more importantly, look at the people who are defending them? Are they not bigots, racists, etc.? I have a petition started to keep those hateful hicks off the air and back where they belong….under the rock they crawled out from under. Shame on you, A & E.

• Cognah says:

Nina your not very bright are you. Making hate full comments about people you consider hate full… they have other races in there own family. And he even said he has nothing against gays. Everyone deserves to express there views. He shouldn’t have been suspended and he lives in a more natural world then you I would assume city’s are man made just like society. I hope that Phil does get his own show.

• Hugh says:

Judgement? Dang. What judgement did he pass?

Can you read? He said, “That’s just me.” – in other words, HIS opinion. I presume you know the difference between an opinion and passing judgement?

You call them “hateful hicks”. If that isn’t passing judgement, I don’t know what is.

You do know the guy has a college degree, a masters degree, started his own very successful business, was a multimillionaire prior to doing the show, and was a good enough quarterback in college to start ahead of Terry Bradshaw.

A hick? Too funny. I’m sure he is amused at the provincialism of arrogant urban twits.

• Nicole Birdwell-Smith says:

He did not pass judgement but yet he who has not sinned cast the first stone and you are the one passing judgement on Phil. He’s very educated in many ways and just bc he is plain spoken with a bit of the south doesn’t imply he’s not educated it does however leave room for questions about your level of education or mental state as if you were educated you would know how well Phil is educated and his story. He stated his belief by quoting scripture . Also the Bible tells us God doesn’t want us to struggle he wants us to inherit his blessings and judging someone getting into heaven by his earned wealth is stupid.

12. jerry says:

it looks to me that when ask a question you have the right to answer and the network was wrong to get involved because this was not said on duck dynasty , this was between phill and the gays should of been a court case if any thing .the station just woried obout losing ratings . they could care less obout the moral aspeeks of the ordeal. pardon my spelling .
    shows me that duck dynasty should get rid of network and buy there own network.

13. tonya says:

Kim you really hit thr nail on the head!!

14. Beth says:

Phil has the 1st amendment right to say what he believes to an extent. The way he expressed this issue and his offensive remarks was offending to the LGBT community and it sparked conflict with this community. Therefore he would have the right if he had expressed his opinion in a proper manner.

• Kim says:

To Beth: there is no “RIGHT WAY” to comment about the SIN of the lifestyle of homosexuality to this community, because anyway one says it, will be a wrong way! This community knows within themselves that what they are engaging in isn’t normal, they feel weird and dirty after they engage in sex, therefore, they get offended when they’re reminded of how sinful it is!

Sent from my iPhone

• Beth says:

However it’s not right when he made the remark about women’s parts and how women have more to offer. I personally think if he stated his opinion regarding that part it would have been freedom of speech.

• Kim says:

Well, he was trying to make a point, but I do understand what you’re saying.

Sent from my iPhone

15. Kim says:

I would like to know what the problem is too Kevin???!!!

16. kevin Lucas says:

WHAT’S THE PROBLEM

17. Dave Elliott says:

Jesus made it quite clear that rich people have almost no chance of getting into Heaven. On the other hand, Jesus said not a single word about homosexuality. You so-called Christians seem so concerned about the Old Testament and totally disregard the words of Jesus in the New Testament. The fact of the matter is that Jesus said that Phil Robertson is going to Hell. So if you’re a true CHRISTIAN; you should be condemning Phil Robertson for his wealth and for expressing his hatred for his fellow man. But most of the people who support Phil Robertson aren’t true Christians; just bigots and hate-mongers who don’t really know what Jesus stood for.

18. Kim says:

I certainly agree with Rafaella’s viewpoint and everything she said about the show, products, and not watching anymore!

Sent from my iPhone

19. thats how it goes, they attack a christians for their beliefs, but gays have their rights, why cant we, its wrong. what happened to our free world. freedom of speech , freedom of religion. but it just doesnt apply to christians. sad, really sad. and whom ever decided this,was probably affended because they are gay, who cares if they are affended, its his belief, if you dont like it, get over it. he is entitled to his opinion, we all should be. its an attack on christians. but i say you go phil. fight for what you believe in

20. Ian says:

Phil did the right thing he expressed his believes which are mine to and a&e should be ashamed of themselves for ruining such a good show the bible clearly states what he said and the bible isn’t written by man it is written by The Lord God Almighty.

21. Dave Elliott says:

The Bible has a lot to say about the evils of greed and the sin of being rich; and very little to say about homosexuality. This proves that the Duck Dynasty family doesn’t really believe in the Bible. They’re just phonies who use religion to justify their own bigotries. Phil Robertson has no problem in ignoring the words of Jesus Christ when it suits his own needs.

22. steadie says:

Im not watching with no phil !

23. Fausto says:

We are extremely disappointed to have read A+E Networks comments on Phil Robertson, which are based on their own personal opinions and constitute a disturbing attack against freedom of expression and on Christians. Their personal views in no way reflect the opinion of the vast majority of the population, and it is highly regrettable that they support controversial behaviours that degrade the human condition and persecute honest and lucid people that dare to speak the truth.

24. It amuses me how he refer to the Corinthians when making his reference. Because that’s argued by many as a translation error. The direct translation is “boy molester” which would been better translated as pedophile than homosexual.

And apparently it’s more important for him to nitpick on things that allow him to cultivate his hatred rather than listen to the things Jesus himself stressed through the whole New Testament which is the importance of not judging, condemning and ridiculing others.

Robertson is the type that makes Christians look like hypocrites and make intelligent people take a distance from Christianity, it’s disgusting.

He should listen to the new pope a bit, that’s a man with a Christian view more closely resembling the one Jesus tried to teach us.

25. christine says:

David… Are a witness?

26. christine says:

100%

27. David says:

So here is my advise to Sid. Grab that jug of ice tea. Find a comfortable spot and relax and still get paid. $200,000 a show divided by 19 people.

28. Tamara Young says:

Wasn’t it the freedom of speech that got the homosexuals where they are today? They weren’t punished for excising that right. No one should be!

A&E allows a rodeo show that makes us cowgirls look like whores.

And I’m wondering must applications for employment have a section about {will not discriminated based on race sex and religion}. I thought that was law? Just saying.

29. David says:

A&E has stepped into a bunch of duck do do. Lets see them dig their way out of this one.

30. ErikaChicago says:

I don’t care, and neither should any of you, it does not directly effect anyone on this thread, this type of drama only stresses people out and create more tension between the human race. It will all be forgotten in a matter of days, and everyone will go on with their own lives. Which we all should be living instead of worrying about everyone else’s.

31. ConfusedinNY2 says:

humanity, please stop caring about what goes in and out a mens butt. remember, starving kids and wars?

32. ConfusedinNY says:

anybody shoked he beat up a woman?

33. chad says:

what happened to freedom of speech and religion this is a great show family oriented and that comment should you not be judged on anyone’s everybody is entitled to their beliefs

34. LindaKistner says:

A & E …. you are disgusting….Phil DID NOT, I repeat– DID NOT SAY ANYTHING WRONG ON “YOUR” DUCK DYNASTY SHOW! I will never watch a show on you channel again.

35. patti blackmore says:

IN OUR HOUSEHOLD WE FAVOR PHIL ALL THE WAY. THANK YOU TO HIM FOR STANDING FOR WHAT IS RIGHT IN GOD’S EYES. a & e YOU HAVE ONLY HURT YOURSELVES. WE WILL NEVER WATCH YOUR CHANNEL AGAIN, EVER. WE DO NOT RESPECT YOU AT ALL. BETTER TO STAND UP FOR ALMIGHTY GOD THAN CARE ABOUT YOUR RATINGS.

36. helen says:

You have to be the biggest bunch of idiots firing him for saying what is his right to sat. Remember freedom of speech? What the hell u put on a bunch of stupid bitches running around acting like cheap hoes and thunk that is Entertainment really ? I am done watching your worthless channel until u ppl get your heads out of your asses

• patti blackmore says:

AGREE 100%. NEVER PLAN TO EVER WATCH THIS CHANNEL AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• patti blackmore says:

TOTALLY AGREE. A & E IS SOMETHING THAT WE WILL NEVER WATCH ANYMORE. NEVER, EVER, & HOPE REST OF YOU WILL AGREE. HOPE THEY GO DOWN, WAY DOWN & GET GET WHAT THEY DESERVE IS NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. Haley says:

He can say what he wants to say u cant just kick him off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. patti blackmore says:

The majority out there are definitely with Phil & I support his beliefs from The Bible all the way. I am tired of all homosexual parades and remarks & the press just goes with them & honors them. They can say whatever they want & no one says a thing but just let one person, rather well known or not, saying anything against homesuality behavior because they believe what the Bible tells us, as I do, & it is “worse than murder”. Hey get over it folks because we are going to speak our minds as well & stand up for what we know is right in God’s eyes.

• jack says:

If it was so important to God why is it not the eleventh commandment?. God created these people too. These overzealous Christians with thier “god hates gay” signs. I am pretty sure he hate those trying to do his job more. Judgement is his alone. Witch is mention more in the bible then homosexuality.

39. pat rad says:

I don’t agree with phil about gays but he simply expressed his opinion, rooted in Christian faith, and showed in the aftermath that he’s got more integrity in his little finger than the whole entertainment industry. GLAAD are bullies, A&E are sellouts but the Robertson family, at least they know where they stand.

40. ryan taylor says:

I agree with phil about gays but the way he expresed his feelings was innapropriate for a public magazine.

41. Kim baker says:

Phil you have a right to your own opinions and last I heard we had the Freedom of Speech here in America so stay true to yourself brother!!! Dont take no S–t!!!

42. Matt says:

There was no real reason for the Phil Robertson to be put on hiatus after his comments about gays! It’s just the network worried about

43. Read this still the choice is your… but with consequences .

HELL THE TRUTH FOR YOUR ABOMINATION

Maybe you will believe what Jesus has taught to BE true. Giving you a glimpse of what Hell is like according to the bible. Ye s, Yes I know you have read the story , you heard the story. QUESTION did you get a GLIMPSE of YOUR LIFE? Yes I know no one wants to talk about homosexuals in the sanctuary of God. It’s a long time due, simply because there are too many going to hell because of this act. What I am about to type is true. You ask how do you know it’s true? How do you know the bible is true. I can only sum that question of this answer for you. BECAUSE GOD IS REAL, JESUS WAS BORN OF FLESH FROM WOMAN. DIED ON THE CROSS AND ROSE FROM THE DEAD IN THREE DAYS. He Jesus went to the cross to SAVE you. Yes You.

Lets take a journey into hell, and while there I want you to think of the sin Homosexuality you are engaged in. You may cuss , spit but please give me your undivided attention for a moment. I know a many has said there is no hell. You live only one time. You live your life on earth because this is it. And if there is a God there is no way he will condemn any to hell. Everyone is going to Heaven…….. Now with that said just think for a moment and really ask yourself if that sounds logical ? Question? Why would he want to put filth in heaven when he just rid you from earth, because of your choice you made to REJECT him by your actions and your disobedience? He clearly says this act is an abomination unto him. It sickens him. Why would he want this act to follow into Heaven? Makes no sense. In Heaven there is no SIN , nor DOGS. Which to him is FILTH. Reverlation:22 : 15

The Journey Begins
    YOU have just step into HELL . You ,your partner and to your surprise there are trillions like you and your partner. You two hold on to each other for dear life, now the reality has set in of what you were doing, now you find yourselves kneeling praying. ……. TOO late your prayer is not answer because at this point GOD do not hear you. Your are crying to get out, there is no way out…….. NOW you and your partner find yourselves in a fix, you were thinking on earth it would be just you and your partner in bed, but to your surprise there ‘s a line , if they have that control waiting their turn morning, noon, night, you and your partner crying in agony , now your body part that you used unnatural is like a baboon back side, and the women your vagina hangs but they keep coming. You want to rest but there is no rest for you nor him or her this act continues around the clock, no running to get away. The stench of your bodily feces and urine coming from your torn body, no one to help they keep coming.
    You now realize that God is real , Jesus died on the cross, The Holy Spirit is real, to find some sanity you try to pray, the assault continues. You cry for mercy . None will help. After all they are the ones the Politicians, church folks who compromise to not hurt your feels are all there with you. YOU find yourself cursing the day you were born. Yes Hell is Real there are many there now who pass before you with a horrible diseases’ of HIV ,AIDS ALCOHOLISM, MENTALLY UNBALANCE, because of the confusing this act (homosexuality) brought to them, wishing they could speaks to the host of you all and warn you this place HELL is REAL,. …To change your ways, Jesus is Real, God Is Real. Listen to that small voice The Holy Spirit. But they cannot cross the great Gulf. Dear hearts I am not writing this to criticize you. I am writing this to save you. You only GET one SHOT at this eternal life and there are TWO places that’s a guarantee you will enter . What choice will you make TODAY? Christ has already died once he cannot die again. But he has GIVEN YOU the choice to die from YOUR SINS. I encourage you to purchase a bible read what I tell you is true. I have set the graphics for you. Have a conversation with God ask Jesus Christ to come into your life save you, REPENT OF YOUR SINS MAKE JESUS CHRIST YOUR LORD OF YOUR LIFE. I know, I know all the media you are watching of Gay Rights, but what about your ETERNAL RIGHTS ? IS this life style worth your SOUL? Read this for yourself it’s in the bible I only made plain what you may try and over look. Amen? Amen Mothers ,grandmothers, sisters, daughters, family pray for them. Continue to love them but with correction. I want be charge for holding back of what is GODS concern. You cannot go before him and say no one told ME. I HAVE. Take heed to the message. Make the RIGHT CHOICE TODAY WHOM YOU SERVE. Jesus is waiting to receive you. You can change all things on EARTH, but once you enter into your eternal home there are no changes!

LUKE 16;1-31
    ROMANS1; 21-32
    LEVITICUS 18;21-25

dbd8-6-2013

44. Tiffany Esry says:

Me being a gay woman I myself believe that Si Robertson has every right to speak his mind about homosexuality…Its his opinion and everyone of us has opinions on one thing or another…He should still be aloud on the show

• no one cares anyway except the feds. says:

jees thanks gay woman , us hetro sure thank you for allowing us to think freely as it would not have been possible for you or me to think if two hetros had not come together and made us both (just the law of nature) . me personally i think more gays is good for the environment less population in the near future and less carbon footprint . if you know what i mean .

45. ST says:

Greetings out there to all Christian’s and supporters of free speech and the Robertson Family. I have been sending am updates to feedback@aetv.com now for 4 days. It is uplifting to add my opinion of the attack by the Christophobes on us. I suggest everyone do the same until they either roll over and do what is right or they stick by the Christophobes and face the consequences of a depleted audience. We are Americans and we still have a voice and our pocketbooks. . Keep America alive/ST

46. Jay P. says:

A&E, last time I looked we still have a first amendment, thought sometimes one has to wonder. Please don’t cave to all these hyper-sensitive, politically correct weenies out there. As you can see hear, people are really getting tired of it. For once let’s stand up and say “shut the hell up!” That goes for Mr. Snyder, the owner of the Redskins, as well. Stop giving in to the pussification of America!

47. sharon says:

omg all t.v. and.producers, and who ever else GET OVER IT !!!!! if thats wat he believes leave him alone. at least ther a clean t.v. program , no violence, nudity, swearing, are talk abt ( money ) !!! for gods sake ….ooops did I say (god ) I hear ya.phil . love u guys