‘Doctor Who’: Who Should Replace Matt Smith? [Poll]

Doctor Who

Doctor Who” fans were saddened this weekend to learn that Matt Smith is departing the TARDIS for the last time, stepping down as the 11th Doctor in time for the character to “regenerate” just after the show’s 50th year on the air.

It’s not clear who will replace Smith, but the Internet is running wide with speculation. Variety’s Steve Clarke reminds us that Helen Mirren could be the first female Doctor, but says bets are also on “Harry Potter’s” Rupert Grint and “Being Human’s” Russell Tovey … or a lesser-known actor, like Smith was himself.

But who do you think should fill that phone booth? Vote below:

1. Gary says:

Helena Bonham Carter. She would be the one to nail that role as the first woman Doctor.

2. Darragh Williamson says:

I don’t think that the doctor will be a woman for lots of reasons (for example traveling to the past would become problematic (sexism)) or rupert grint (becouse evrybody will call him Ron + Harry potter has been mentiond in the series before) and Russell has been on the show before.

3. Anonymous says:

Jamie Dornan. He’s such a good actor and I think he would be amazing as the Doctor.

4. collin says:

i think david tennant will return, why have him filming for the 50th when screen shots can be used,
    David Tennant has always been very vocal about returning to the show, he loves the show
    we will know, if the hand in the jar appears, in the episodes.
    could be wrong. if not my guess is, it will be a unknown.

5. JoyBird23 says:

I think it should be Simon Pegg. He’s a ginger and a self proclaimed geek. He could definitely make the role his own while still becoming ‘the doctor’ and honoring the past. :)

6. Jesse Pena says:

i just think Matt smith should at least do one more season

7. ewan says:

colin morgan former merlin should play him he has the right skills and is a very good actor

8. Zagreus says:

Helena Bonham Carter

9. Mike says:

I’d love to see John Simm in the role. Not quite as silly as it sounds … all it needs in explanation is a little linkage between the doc and the master when he refused to regenerate and you have an imprint on Doc that could show up in a later regeneration. And imagine the fun they could have in the first season getting the Doc explaining to old friends that he isn’t actually who he appears to be.

10. AngelofMusic says:

charileissocoollike should be the next dr who

11. Flamange Du Val says:

I think that that Irish actor, Adiran Dunbar, should be the new Doctor!! He’s very good at wearing a coat.

12. Peggy says:

I would love to see the 1st female doctor, but if they choose to stick with a man I believe Matthew Kewis wiould be wonderful in this role!

13. Bill says:

I would not mind a woman playing the doctor. They only rule is the actor playing the doctor better be able to run (seriously, there is a whole lot of running involved in the show). I would also say that i DON’T want any of the old actors back to play the Doctor. I have nothing but love for the old actors, whether they be campanions or previous Doctors, but I feel the show has lasted so long by NOT going backwards and always trying new things. Not that it matters, in the end I am going to miss matt Smith, just like how I’ve missed every other Doctor when they left.

14. Matt Smith (not the Dr one) says:

With the way they left the season ender (**spoiler alert**) with the DR trapped in his own time stream, I would like to see the pull a past Dr out, like number 9 (Christopher Eccleston) from the time stream.

15. chloe larsen says:

dominic monaghan

16. Jeannie Graham says:

James Frain could be a really good 12th Doctor.

17. Alejandro Reyes II Rodriguez says:

Darren Styles or Anthony Stewart Head

18. The Kingslayer says:

I can’t believe people are voting for Rupert Grint he’s a crap actor with no charisma at all.

19. nancy says:

Ben Whishaw from The Hour and the latest Bond
    He has a large range of emotional depth for the role of the Doctor

20. jonahloeb says:

Bring back David Tennant, they are already bringing him back for the 50th special so the storyline about the time-lines must be crossing anyhow. I miss how his version of the Doctor seemed to just love being the Doctor, he was fun.

Plus, bring back Tennant’s real-life wife to reprise her role as the Doctor’s daughter.

21. EK says:

Needs too be someone new who can imbue the Doctor with a fresh persona untarnished by a recognizable actor who brings his or her “image” with them.

22. G. Jardoness says:

Bring back David Tennant… What the heck; He was great, he regretted leaving, it’s only been four years since he left, I think they can ‘manage’ any contrivance to make it happen.

23. Laura says:

Rupert Grint

24. David says:

If you want to choose a woman you can’t really go further than Miranda Hart!
    Or what about Paul Denny from Aussie comedy Lowdown!

25. adamcala1234 says:

Benedict Cumberbatch is too much like Matt Smith… We need someone completely different. Like Rupert Grint

26. Jules says:

Hugh Laurie be perfect for the role.

27. math smith says:

Benedict cumberbatch,

28. Dawn says:

Oliver (or James) phelps, or Benedict cumberbatch, but I’m still open minded to others for now….. I just kind of want someone with a lot of spirit

29. Luci says:

I think sue Perkins would be a great doctor, she would be both funny and quite masculine and serious at times!

30. Peter says:

My hope is that it is Andrew Lee Potts or Ryan Cartwright

31. Rwwatson says:

If it is going to be a woman, let it be Billie Piper!

32. E Cheung says:

I LOVE women…I really do. But–please!–NOT a chick for the Doc!!!!!

33. George says:

Eddie Redmayne, Guy Pearce, Robert Pattinson perhaps, but, an unknown female even better.

34. SandraL says:

This is who should (and most likely will) play the Doctor: nobody I’ve ever heard of. They want viewers to watch the show and just see the Doctor, not the actor. That doesn’t stop the media from fueling speculation on celebrities who don’t stand a chance even if they were willing to do it.

That said, it would be fun to see Helen Mirren in the role. ;)