Discovery Finds Its Own ‘Duck Dynasty’ with ‘Porter Ridge’ (Exclusive)

Discovery Channel Porter Ridge

Docucomedy hails from 'Duck Dynasty' production company Gurney Prods.

Gurney Productions, the shingle behind A&E’s hit series “Duck Dynasty,” has lined up redneck fare at Discovery Channel with reality showPorter Ridge.”

Docu-comedy centers on an isolated community in Indiana with a colorful cast of rural characters, including Jeff “The Bear Man,” who has a backyard full of bears, country calendar model Kayla, local garbage man and Elvis-lookalike “Elvis Larry,” and Terry Porter, CEO of an auto junkyard.

“Porter Ridge” launches Discovery into the hillbilly reality biz, a niche genre that TLC has seen success in with “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.” Many producers within the unscripted space cite A&E’s bearded men of “Duck Dynasty” as the template for copycat reality comedies, while also acknowledging that the casting on that show is, in a way, lightning in a bottle.

Discovery ordered 12 halfhour episodes of “Porter Ridge” and will debut the series on August 13 at 10:30 p.m.

1. bob says:

So,let’s see how this will work out.
    With roughly 15 mins. left,they’ll take a commercial break for 3 1’2 minutes,play a 30 second “outtake” from the show that they had no intention of using,then 4 more minutes of commercials.
    Because no one is smart enough,in Discovery’s collective opinion to realize that they just sat through an 8 minute commercial break.
    It’s their standard show model.

• OMG !! WHY< WHY< WHY do we need another one ? GEEEZE ! Alaskan Bush people sucks, but it persists. Life below zero was good now, not so much. Mountain Men is GOOD but only on for a few shows at a time.Almost ALL the animal shows are very good but eaten up by commercials ! Duck Dynesty was good till they ran MONTHS of repeats over and OVER ! No need for another SIT-COM show about local yocals doing stupid crap ! MINI series on now, Savage Land, Now that is very, very good ! Why not more shows like that ?!?

2. Bri says:

It’s strange to think the town I grew up in, that when I even said spencer everyone who didnt live around this area wouldn’t have a clue where it was.. But guess what world discover found us! Welcome to hick town USA!!!!

3. Tonya says:

So glad that someone around here is having something good happen for them!!
    Proud of where I live and how I grew up!! And the people that I know!!
    The guys in this show all have a lot of talent. One of them is an amazing auto body guy!! Sam Halle is the man!! Love Dog Killer Ridge!!

4. boss says:

Discovery and the History Channel used to provide educational programming. Now it is a bunch of bigoted reality TV shows that take advantage of unwitting rural people who TV producers use as tools. One can find these types of people in all states, but bigoted liberal producers from NY and California will always cast these shows in the south or midwest because of negative stereotypes that they create. You can already see Discovery selling this show as ignorant hillbilly entertainment for the masses.

5. maureen says:

Porter Ridge will likely be very entertaining…… watching these entrepreneurs ply their trade of recycling.

6. Ernie says:

I grew up in Spencer. Joined the Navy in 1962, spent 20 years, retired. Went to work as a federal civilian employee and retired from that job as a computer system analyst. I live in Sacramento, CA, now. I still go back to visit relatives every chance I get. My neighbor across the street still calls me a redneck. Just because they call you a redneck doesn’t mean any of us are “dumb”.

7. Not so smart after all from Florida says:

Well well, I guess we all have our own personal predjudices. I for one realized that after two college degrees I wouldn’t have a CLUE as to how to run a junk yard or work a blowtorch. Or grow corn. Or drive a race car. And I realized that I really don’t have much fun at my job. I for one will be watching .

8. jill says:

i think anyone who fears they will be labeled already has been.. everyone here who believe in these people and support them have labeled you as a snob.. lighten up.. learn to laugh.. these people sound like a good group and i for sure will be watching the show to see.. it couldn’t be any worse than watching Amish mobsters (seriously) if you know any Amish (which i do) you know they are far from organized mobsters.. they are organized but it is to help each other to survive..

9. April says:

All the fussing in this forum about a show that has not even debuted yet. Really? The variety of people in Owen County is part of what makes it a great place to live. The show is not representative of every single person living near Spencer. After all,would you assume everyone who lives near Bloomington is a college professor or college athlete? If Terry is half as funny as he was growing up, the show will be hilarious! Find something more important to worry about.

10. Bulls_love_now says:

Being from Bloomington and Noblesville, I am truly embarrassed FOR them! Soon the entire country will be making fun of them, and rightfully so! Indiana has some wonderful areas and now will be known only for it’s dirty rednecks. Disappointing….. thank goodness I moved to attend USF. Sad sad day for the classy, intelligent Hoosiers :-(

• Brad says:

Really? Are you that uptight. I’m a college graduate as well as my wife and we’re both from Spencer area. I also lived in Fishers area immediately upon graduating college at ISU. Thank God I don’t live in either one. It amazes me how many Hamilton County and Monroe County people seem to think they’re above it all. From one educated person to another, what makes you any better? These people are real. I’ve seen a lot of educated idiots in my life and am very thankful I’m not one of them.
      be a

• Darlene says:

Did not like the show and it was not funny at all..Get real…I just hope not all think Bloomington people are stupid…and live that way

• bob says:

Thinking that going to USF in some way makes you cosmopolitan,or sophisticated,shows who the ignorant one is.Ever go down to the end of Fowler at 301?
      Those dirty Indiana rednecks would laugh at the trash living 5 miles from “your” campus.

• nita says:

So sorry you are feeling above a TV show! Really? Your threshold for embarrassment sounds pretty low, dude.

11. John says:

How many remember Joe Greene’s junkyard west of Spencer on 46?

12. Linda Bailey says:

looking forward to seeing people I know on tv–it’s all fun people, I bet you all watch it–these are nice and funny people–enjoy the show–I know I will

13. Frog says:

Good luck getting parts from there now! There will be all kinds of dumb people driving by just to look! Hope it doesn’t turn in to a media circus. But heck I will sure be watching it and enjoying every darn minute! You go rednecks! Hoosiers are behind you!

14. Cheryl says:

Country Auto kept every beater I owned during the 80’s and 90’s on the road.

15. John says:

Home Sweet Home!!! I love the ’58 Chevy on the pole. Mine was a black 2 door hard top, back in the day.

16. nita says:

I love the fact that this was done in the reality if the Hoosier Heartland and that it was a benefit for locals in its production. For those throwing rocks already, watch it and make a decision. It’s TV and entertainment, not brain surgery or life changing. Enjoy and laugh!

17. John says:

I leave on state road 43 near the red bus and i can’t wait to see it!

18. Jessica Hert says:

They left out the most important members of the cast .. where’s the part about DKR? Brian, Sammy, Delbert …

19. Michael Sciscoe says:

I’m excited about this show been around DKR my whole life seeing how they are family can’t wait happy for Delbert and the boys

20. Larry Norman says:

Cool! I just happened to be in the parts yard, getting a door part, when the Helicopter came over. They circled a few times ( I think waiting on me to leave ) . then they landed out in the back. The guys at the front where i had to pay. The guys up front were pretty quiet about what the chopper was doing there when I asked. They just remarked, must be Hollywood, to which I just laughed. Then I thought about the letters on the helicopter after I left and told my wife- they’re filming something there,,.Maybe I’ll be in it.

• dave shane begley says:

I agree Michael.. Delbert and the boys could use some real pay dirt. hope they get it.. maybe brian can get us a few cars to run in the derby… lol I can happily say I am frm both Owen county grew up playing football there and I met and married my sweetheart in green county… couldn’t ask for better in laws..LOL

21. William says:

I have done a lot of buisness with country auto parts an when I was told about the show i was excited.and yes I agree not all of Indiana is redneck toothless hillbillys just good ol country boys that know how to have a good time im glad they are making this show going to be a blast watching these fellers

22. Sarah says:

I live in Spencer, actually just a few miles from where they are shooting this show, and I am embarrassed! I am afraid that this show will only add to the negative stereotypes assigned to those of us who live in rural communities. Not all of us are rednecks!

23. curtis says:

That’s right Travis!!

24. Travis Brown says:

Im from spencer and i think the show is a great idea, anyone who has grown up in owen county knows that is as hillbilly as it gets, and ik the porters and they are redneck, acting or not

25. BEERADDD says:

PORTER RIDGE IS ABOUT 13 MILES WEST OF bLOOMINGTON INDIANA JUST OFF OF hIGHWAY 43. tHOSE GUYS ARE WELL AWARE OF WHO THEY ARE AND LOVE TO ENTERTAIN. SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK. LOL

26. angie hoffman says:

Why wasn’t Dilbert named in this post??

27. adam says:

Cant wait for this show to come on!!!!!! I grew up 3miles from country auto parts, its about time they make a show on how INDIANA REALLY IS!!!!! So all you yuppies need to move!!!!! Lol

28. harry says:

They do say it’s an isolated community in Indiana, so I feel like if you are from Indiana, and not from there, you should not be ashamed. Most of Illinois is not like Chicago, and most of the state of New York is not like the city.

• Cindy says:

“Isolated community”……Most of our county isn’t isolated……I’m “from there” and I’m not redneck or hillbilly or a ridge runner…I’m not ashamed of where I’m from. However I am worried about the stereotype that will be derived from this offering of docu-comedy. There are a lot of wonderful, intelligent people here. While this show will probably be entertaining it is NOT representative of our “isolated community”.

29. sami says:

Porter Ridge is in spencer indiana! I have been waiting to see it, cant wait! These guys are hilarious in real life so im sure it willl be awesome.

30. sally says:

sounds good, im looking forward to it

31. Where is Porter Ridge? I, as a Hoosier, am hanging my head in shame.

32. Nancy says:

I am from Indiana and I do not approve of this show!

• Jessica Hert says:

Gee Nancy, you must be a basketball star & grow corn. My family happens to be in this show & they actually have their own teeth!! It’s a good thing to bring money to our state, or maybe you don’t approve of money either! People shouldn’t be so closed minded when they sound like scared Bible thumping Hicks! GO HOOSIERS!!

• Denise says:

I totally agree with you Nancy. Seems to me like its going to make us look like a bunch of backwoods idiots. We are not all stupid, toothless hicks running around with our beer bellies hanging out!

• Angie says:

Who cares! I’m just glad they are recognizing them! My uncle is on this show and hasn’t had the best life but I’m proud of him for this! I love that I’m from Indiana! Who cares what people from other states believe! Indiana people know how to have fun and if you can’t accept that then it’s your loss!

• Maria says:

Being from Spencer I can say that the people on this show are not ‘stupid toothless hicks’ they are amazing and hilarious people whom are quite intelligent.

33. Gary says:

This is just stupid. Since when does a junkyard have a CEO? Oh how great this will make Indiana look so great. I D 10 Ts

• Brad says:

Yes Gary. individuals leading each other down the street with a dog chain tied to a collar around their mate’s neck, seen people burning the flag in Btown along with many other idiotic incidents….no, Bloomington can look stupid on their own without anyone else assisting.

• Cheryl says:

Gary, when a business is incorporated it has a CEO. Salvage is big business. These guys were recycling long before the little red bins showed up on the curbs in Bloomington.

34. Robbyn Murphy says:

Looking forward to this show as it is in my neck of the woods!!