Does Cory Monteith Deserve A Special Emmy Memorial? (Opinion)

cory monteith glee death

Tragic as his death was, 'Glee' star did not have body of work worthy of special treatment

That “Glee” star Cory Monteith will be among an exclusive group of actors getting a special memorial tribute at the Primetime Emmy Awards on Sunday was to be expected given the industry and its fans are still reeling from his recent loss.

But it is questionable whether the TV Academy is doing the right thing with this tribute.

When Monteith’s name is elevated alongside the other four people who are being elevated from the usual In Memoriam reel — actors James Gandolfini, Jean Stapleton and Jonathan Winters and writer-producer Gary David Goldberg — his inclusion risks coming across ill-considered. The unspoken, uncomfortable truth of the matter is that while the work he did on “Glee” showed great promise, it was not equal to the incredible careers the other four amassed.

SEE ALSO: Notable TV Deaths in 2013 (PHOTOS)

That doesn’t make the loss of Monteith any less tragic. Nor should questioning his exclusion be misinterpreted as a judgment being made about the circumstances of his death. To the contrary, the Emmy recognition will put deserved focus on the perils of drug addiction.

But to merit special treatment like what the Academy is doing here, an actor should have a body of work that puts him head and shoulders above his peers. There will surely be disagreement from his ardent fans, but if Monteith had really achieved that status, those accolades would have been coming even before his death. Unlike many of his co-stars, Monteith never received an Emmy nomination.

Does a distinctive role on a TV show does automatically merit the kind of memorial Monteith is getting here? You could argue that Gandolfini is in essentially the same category, but that only brings the difference between Monteith and someone of Gandolfini’s caliber into sharper relief. What Gandolfini did on “The Sopranos” inarguably transformed the medium of television; can we really say the same about Monteith on “Glee?”

By putting Monteith in this elite group, the Academy is risking having its honorable intentions misconstrued as using the actor’s memory to cater to the younger audiences that are in decreasingly short supply for award shows these days. The Emmy Awards is a business that requires generating TV ratings to maximize advertising dollars, but that needs to be balanced with the need for the Academy to maintain appropriate perspective in recognizing excellence and influence in television.

Then there is delicate matter of considering how elevating Monteith has an impact on the perception of both the other actors who he is being grouped alongside as well as the dozens of others who are being relegated to the standard In Memoriam tribute. Monteith could have gone on to a tremendous career, but Larry Hagman, for instance, already had a tremendous career, and putting Monteith on a pedestal casts a shadow over the memory of this iconic “Dallas” star.

Questioning Monteith’s place in this special memorial cuts to the heart of what the Emmys are all about. If the event’s primary function is to give a sense of the emotional state of the audience at a given time, then Monteith certainly belongs where the Academy has put him.

But the Emmys should be held to a higher standard. The event should be first and foremost about recognizing a body of work. In that respect, the Emmys needs to aspire to timelessness, demonstrating its relevancy whether being watched on the night of the telecast or 20 years later. The way to ensure it resonates both now and in the future is to stick to the accomplishments of the talent or the production.

It’s about what has been achieved — not what could have been.

If you agree or disagree, let us know in the comments section below.

1. Krisha Roach says:

That is just wrong. This was a devastating loss for many young adults and fans of the show. Yes, he may have had a disease BUT he was also a beloved actor on a show that has helped many with self-acceptance. He was also an activist who used his fame to support many non-profit organizations, many of which serve at-risk youth. Show some respect, yes, he deserves it!

2. Elaine Faria says:

Maybe Cory didn’t mean anything to your generation but he meant a lot to our generation. His impact is a lot more meaningful than any of those other people being memorialized with him. I don’t even know who they are really. Cory’s acting and impact was a deep and meaningful and will be long lasting to us. Just like those other people are to you.

3. Briana says:

I follow along side the many people Cory and his work on Glee have saved. He inspired people and really impacted them in many ways.

And I truly hate it when people say that Glee is only for kids, that is a huge misconception ’cause the audience’s range in age is unaveragable. I have met ALOT of older and serious fans through the fanbase on twitter.

“What Gandolfini did on “The Sopranos” inarguably transformed the medium of television” — Although this is true, Cory was on a program, as well, that changed television. Glee is a musical that never ends, and it is a show that will never happen again, and if so, will not be for another decade or so.

I’m just saying that its not his work that YOU, Mr. Wallenstein, visually see on the screen, but through the hearts of the dedicated audience.
    He was truly a star and he will be greatly missed, but he will not be forgotten.

Rest In Peace, Cory

4. Juliet says:

He’s work was so good… if he never won an Emmy was because the other contenders exceeded him, that doesn’t mean that he didn’t deserved, he deserve an Emmy ’cause he inspired so many people with his work, like it or not, that is true, he proved that even being an addict, you can make it, and you can suceed in your dreams, he couldn’t go on, but doesn’t mean that others can’t. Everybody now is going to be judging because the cause of his dead, but he did an amazing chob while he was alive and deserve to be prizewinning.

5. Tricia says:

I agree. I’m a Proud self proclaimed Gleek and as much as Cory was beloved in the show as Finn, his accomplishment was not quite up to par. Yes he could’ve been one of the best actor but unfortunately he never got the chance to show it with his untimely death. As fierce as the fans Glee, I’m one of them, hopefully will see these as our Cory “Finn” NOT being slighted at all.

6. lana says:

Show a clip of him singing a great song – – but do a tribute to Larry Hagman!

7. Maria says:

This is about work, if his work was so good, why he never won an emmy? why now he is dead ?i think is time to stop using Cory and let him rest in peace.-

• Juliet says:

• Juliet says:

He’s work was so good… if he never won an Emmy was because the other contenders exceeded him, that doesn’t mean that he didn’t deserved, he deserve an Emmy ’cause he inspired so many people with his work, like it or not, that is true, he proved that even being an addict, you can make it, and you can suceed in your dreams, he couldn’t but doesn’t mean that others can’t. Everybody now is going to be judging because the cause of his dead, but he did an amazing chob while he was alive and deserve to be prizewinning.

8. Jaida Dickerson says:

Totally

9. Kayla says:

He changed so many lives. So many young(and old!) people had some desire to wake up in the mornings because something made them happy. And for a lot of us, that “something” was Glee, and we all loved to see that goofball Finn on the show. Just because he wasn’t around for as long as the others, doesn’t mean he wasn’t wonderful, and that’s what it’s all about.

10. sabrina says:

It’s not true that Cory’s fans are all from the younger generation. I am 66 years old, and the thing I’m most looking forward to on the Emmy show is his memorial tribute. Anyone who knows about Cory’s life, not about how he died, but how he lived, knows why he deserves it just as much as the other “iconic” actors. Cory may not have lived a long life but he made a big difference in the lives of many.

11. Andrea says:

Hell Yes He Should! To be honest he is the only one of these people I have ever heard of!

12. Kathleen Wiltsey says:

It’s not the fact that Cory Monteith had a very short career in comparison to some of the more “iconic” actors being excluded. It’s the fact that he had such a HUGE impact on a lot of people, not just the younger generations.

It is about who he was and how he lived outside of his addiction. It is about how he treated his fans and never failed to go out of his way to be nice and take pictures with fans or even record a special video for one fan.

I’ve never heard of any other star, iconic or not, that hasn’t been hardened by the Hollywood lifestyle, is more interested in how much money they make, that goes out of their way for any one fan let alone more than one. He didn’t live long enough to become a self-centered jerk like most stars are.

I am 46 years old and never missed an episode. My kids loved it as much as I did. I cried when I heard he died. In fact, my oldest daughter, who is married and on her own, went out of her way to call me and tell me about Cory before I got on the computer and found out on my own. She doesn’t watch the show, but she knew how much I loved it and that I would be upset.

13. Kathleen Wiltsey says:

14. Kayla Standridge says:

Yes I think Cory definitely deserves a tribute at the Emmys!!(:

15. bloominutz says:

I liked Cory but I watched Glee for Chris Colfer, and, since he started, Darren Criss. To me, the person who inspired us to “be who we are, unashamedly’ was Colfer’s character, Kurt.

Let’s face it, the Emmy’s decision to give Cory a special memorial was not because they actually thought he contributed in any huge way to television, but it’s to actually get the younger audiences to watch. Tributes notwithstanding, this is after all, another television show, aimed at garnering audiences and ratings.

16. Doris says:

Did either one of you follow Cory Monteith’s career? My guess is absolutely not because if you had then you’d realize that yes he was iconic because of Glee but he has so many works where his talent shines through. He truly was a star. No one is trying to glorify the fact that he died of substance abuse rather his life and succuess. How are you going to judge someone solely on an addiction? That didnt define who he was, it was just something he struggled with. He did so much aside from that. Cory was a part of so many organizations and he gave to charities in abundance. Off screen he always put his time out there for his fans and he was dedicated to helping change others lives even though he struggled with his own. Cory was a humble guy, he didnt let the fame get to him. Unlike some addicts he voluntarily admitted himself into rehab and reached out for help. Next time you go and judge someone in such a manner, look up your facts before you make yourself look like an idiot. He DOES deserve a tribute. What makes me sick is that they want to memorialize people based on all these long years of acting career but what did any of them actually give back to the community?

17. Bre says:

Being a teenager, I grew up in the “Glee generation”. For many of my friends, this show taught them that it is okay to be themselves, and to accept others for who they are. Glee is certainly a cultural icon for people of my generation. However, I must agree with this article. Being an avid “Sopranos” fan, I have a hard time comparing Monteith to Gandolfini, especially due to the fact that Gandolfini certainly proved himself to be a versatile actor throughout his successful career. Jean Stapleton not only had a career that lasted decades, but she was a part of what is probably one of the most well-known sitcoms of all time. Sure, Glee taught us things. But “All in the Family” took place in a time when some were still getting used to the idea of equality. I’m not so sure if the lessons taught from the works of Ryan Murphy can be compared to the lessons taught from Archie Bunker. Monteith had promise, and certainly had talent, but should not be honored alongside these four legends.

18. Cory Monteith wasn’t exactly Daniel Day Lewis, he was just starting out and could have been a ‘good’ actor, but he wasn’t ‘good’ just yet. He was hired on Glee because he looked like a dorky teen who could sing. His death should not be glorified. The only thing the Emmy’s should do is the normal few second tribute like anyone else. To give him special consideration when he wasn’t that famous is stupid and disrespectful to great tv actors. His death already marred the film McCanick as it is.

19. dominic says:

YES cory deserves to get a emmy tribute

20. Taylor says:

Yeah totally!!

21. Hannah says:

Yes I agree cory should get a tribute Emmy

22. Joey says:

yes! cory was an inspiration to all of us! please he deserves this soo much

23. Michelle says:

ok look… If He doesn’t get one oh well… It’s no like he will be remembered any less! I loved him don’t get me wrong . I LOVED HIM! he is so special to me nobody will ever understand… But of course I want him to get one… But of he doesn’t that’s ok because we can just watch Lea Michele’s speech at the teen choice awards! I think that will always the most memorable Cory Monteith Tribute

24. Mali Cox says:

Yes! Definitely!!

25. Montana says:

I believe he was such an inspirational person and he was so talented. I personally think he deserves a tribute in his memory. :)

26. Lily says:

Yes. He was and inspiration to many with his spirit, voice, and acting.

27. Doris says:

First of all Cory Monteith was not only a phenomenal actor that performed only in Glee but also in various movies, playing characters that were nothing like the one before. He was great at stepping out of his comfort zone and he was already on the path of greatness and success. So to say that his acting career was any less significant than the others that are getting a tribute is ignorant and moronic. Cory Monteith touched the lives of so many people. He was human and yeah he made mistakes but he did so much good and inspired people with his willingness to make a difference in himself as well as in the world. Cory definitely deserves a tribute because he should always be remembered for the talent he possessed and the beautiful soul he carried within. I mean how many other celebrities do you know that would travel across the country to visit a young cancer patient who’s last wish was to meet him? His smile and warm heart could cure cancer. He was amazing in every way, it’s a shame he couldn’t win the battle against his inner demons.

28. cynthia valencia says:

yes, Cory was a huge inspiration to many People. He will always be the glue of glee and.be in my heart forever

29. Paola says:

Yes!!! Of course it’s a way of showing respect!!!!

30. Mary says:

yes. yes. yes.

31. farsider says:

In terms of a special memorial–and shifting media–what if it had been James Dean, who was 24 when he died and had made only three movies? I am NOT equating Cory Monteith or his career with James Dean, except for a shared relative youth upon their deaths. But that’s pertinent since the Variety writer’s principal argument seems to be: You can’t be honored when you’re too young to have done enough. Such arbitrary criteria shouldn’t rule out Mr. Monteith, a principal star on a groundbreaking TV series whose impact will be felt long after he’s gone.

32. Mikki Dee says:

It is truly disgusting how judgmental and disrespectful some people are. Cory Monteith may not have had a long career, but he was an incredibly talented man and he made an IMPACT, and not just with squealing teenage girls. I myself am a Gen X’er and I grew up in the era of All in the Family, Family Ties, Mash, Mork and Mindy, and enjoyed watching them, but none of the stars/director left the same impact. I never liked any of James Gandolfini’s work, but a lot of people did so I understand why he was chosen for the honor. Cory Monteith was a true humanitarian who helped bring many social issues to the forefront through his work on Glee. He worked diligently on behalf of many charities on his own time and dollar, and he used his celebrity to bring attention to these charities. He was always very genuine, polite and he ALWAYS had time for his fans, not to mention he was always very grateful for, and somewhat humbled by, his success. A truly beautiful man – inside and out, so stop judging him for the final chapter in his life and respect him for the many good things he did for this world while we were lucky enough to have him. He truly deserves this honor!

• No, he really doesn’t deserve the honor. If he had won three Emmy’s like James Gandolfini, I might change my mind. Gandolfini was also nominated twice for producing, his work on television is a million times more extensive than Monteith.

33. Mikeili Guthrie says:

Yes, Cory deserves this so unbelievably much. Without him NONE of his fans would be who they are today. He taught us to never give up and he was always so selfless and goofy and just adorable. He touched SO many people’s lives and honestly he will always be the glue of glee. He personally touched my heart and I will never ever forget his beautiful smile and his awkward dancing. Please, Cory deserves to be remembered for all he did for not only the Gleeks but the world. He will forever be my hero (:

34. SV says:

The fact of the matter is that Cory was one of two main actors (Lea being the other. Fight it all you might but this show was always centered around Finn and Rachel) on a show that changed pop culture forever. The Glee phenomenon, like it or not, has had a big impact on the entire world and while he may not have received nominations (though I’ve always thought he was one of the most talented actors, he just had the misfortune of being written as the source of stability and didn’t have big, showy moments like Chris Colfer’s character. I don’t think Chris is any better of an actor than Cory, I think he just had such a pivotal character and such elaborate scenes that they garnered attention), Finn Hudson is iconic among young viewers today and they will always remember the musical show they watched when they were young and the tragedy that took one of their favorite celebrities away. Lee Thompson’s death is tragic as well, but come on .. you think Rizzoli & Isles has the following Glee has? Glee is a pop culture movement in itself, and I think honoring Cory at a time when millions of fans worldwide are mourning the loss of such a talented, promising man is a wonderful gesture.

And to those who are saying he wasn’t “taken” but “chose to go” and “deserved his fate” are full of it. Addiction is full of darkness and loneliness and it takes the best away from us. He tried to get help multiple times. No one chooses to live in a world of isolation and fear like that and your ignorance is incredibly disheartening. He was a wonderful man who has not had one ill word spoken of him, and that’s saying a lot in Hollywood. Have some respect.

• Pamela says:

SV, it’s not just a matter of fact that Rizzoli and Isles may not have the following as Glee. Lee Thompson Young was the lead star in the Disney series, The Famous Jett Jackson. He has a huge Disney following, and not strictly a fan following of R&I. He is just as well known in my opinion, and both of them recently died, and died very young. That’s the comparison and I feel both should or could be mentioned, but of course not if you’re thinking of body of work, as they did not achieve that status yet, such as Jean Stapleton or Larry Hagman, or even Gandolfini.

35. Pamela says:

I do think people like Cory and Lee Thompson Young should be mentioned, not for their body of work which was not large, but for their small contribution and to the many fans they still did manage to acquire in their short lifetime. But we all know that they cannot fall into the category of people like Jean Stapleton and Whitney or Michael or Gandolfini. It’s just a matter of recognising Cory and Lee because of the recentness of their deaths. However you can’t do one without the other. It’s Cory and Lee or neither, IMO. Both had lots of fans and were well loved.

36. Janelle S says:

Of course he does!! Haven’t others honored people like Whitney, Michael Jackson, or even Chris Farley? Why does Cory’s death differ from any of those? He had an illness and was taken from his family, friends, and fans way too soon! I am so happy that they decided to do what is right thing to do here!

• Arol says:

If you read the article carefully the author is not saying he doesn’t deserve to be included b/c of the way he died or his disease, it was ONLY because his body of work is not substantial enough to warrant inclusion. Once you realize this, then you can answer your own question about what the difference is between Whitney, Michael Jackson or Chris Farley – they all had substantially greater bodies of work than did Cory. I am a fan of the show and of Cory’s, but i agree with the author’s point.

• Pamela says:

Correction Janelle S. He wasn’t taken. He took his own life – there’s a vast difference. And if he is recognised, then they should also recognise Lee Thompson Young as well who most likely has a larger “body of work” than Cory, and who too, took his own life.

• Kaely says:

Addiction is a disease. People just look at Cory as a druggie, they never look at all the good things he did and all the people he made happy

37. Aaron Kreider says:

I loved Cory on GLEE but if anyone deserves one of these special tributes (I’d actually prefer one nice long tribute for everyone) it’s Larry Hagman. How could the Primetime Emmy snub Hagman in favor of Monteith? Do they think it will bring them better ratings? I can’t imagine any other reason. This is very disappointing.

38. HL says:

Look, if you don’t want to watch it, take a bathroom break when it’s on. They’ve decided to do it, many do want to see it, and if you want to have a “legends of TV” history-focused awards show feel free to start your own and see what sort of viewership you get. Telling people, particularly those from younger generations, that what they care about and are interested in now isn’t important enough because it doesn’t meet your sense of historical significance is offensive. As it is, well, you’re stirring the pot and getting attention, which presumably is what you wanted. Congratulations.

39. Patrick Dobson says:

I have to take exception to Wallenstein’s oped. I’m certainly no spring chicken and I certainly have a special appreciation for the talents and contribution of the other star who will be honored with a special tribute at the Emmy’s. Wallenstein may be indeed correct about their higher level of accomplishment in comparison to Monteith. The editor misses the point however. It’s not just about attracting fans. Glee has achieved noteworthy status because of it’s cultural impact, and Monteith was a very important part of it. No less than “All in the family” (Jean Stapleton) or “Dallas” (Larry Hagman) or “the Sapranos” (James Gandofini), “Glee has become a much talked about “coffee break” topic that transcended it’s target audience. Moreover, as Monteith’s death revealed, “Glee” is a show that spoke to a generation, not unlike the movie “A rebel with a cause” and it’s own tragic star, James Dean. Wallenstien is correct that the academy should be judicious in who they honor, not simply honoring an actor based on popularity. But who is to judge and by what parameters? Monteith was not an actor whose popularity brought fans to the show, it was his acting and the subject matter which he tackled that struck a tone and established a connection with the TV viewing public. It is that which the academy and the Emmy’s celebrate and it is that which makes his inclusion in the memorial relevant.

40. MJL says:

I was wondering why no one had said anything about this and all the hype surrounding this kid’s death. So he was good in Glee in some people’s opinion but obviously not enough to get nominated for his role in the show. Aside of Glee, what else has he done? He died from an overdose of drugs and alcohol, not saving anything or anyone, not fighting for a cause or anything of the sort. Just because he has “a lot of young fans and followers” does not mean he did anything “significant” to stand out for or worthy of mentioning during a tribute where other actors have achieved and accomplished a lot more. I feel bad for his family’s loss but let’s be realistic: he had a drug problem and he, ultimately, caused his own death. Let him rest in peace and life goes on.

41. Nichole Goodau says:

I really don’t think the Emmy’s should exclude anyone who has passed in the entertainment industry. But for you to compare a young man who was making an impact right now to Larry Hagman whose greatest known achievements are I Dream Of Jeannie and Dallas; it’s apples and oranges really. I Dream of Jeannie premiered in 1965, and Dallas in 1978 which is the year I was born. But yes the Emmy’s are trying to pull in younger viewers because they are the future viewing audience. Glee has become such an iconic show to it’s viewers because of it’s message of being yourself, helping others, and just feel good tone that it has helped a lot of us to forget a little about our troubles for an hour each week. I have cried, laughed, and just plain cheered watching Glee and I will continue to do so. Dallas was a pure 80’s show about greed, oil, lust, and excess, things we don’t really try to identify with today. So yes, while I think that everyone should be honored for their contribution to entertainment no matter how big or how small; you cheapened the memory and the small yet great work that Cory did.

42. Dan says:

Is this really the debate? Whether he had a good enough resume to be mentioned? How about the fact that he was a heroine addicted junky who had good enough genetics to look nice on a TV screen? No no no, that’s perfectly acceptable. We won’t discuss how we’ll just be teaching people that it’s cool to shoot heroine but make sure you’re not an idiot like this corpse and OD and we’ll reward the hell out of you. It’s just mind numbing to me that this is even a topic of conversation.

• HL says:

The man’s dead, that’s hardly making drugs look “cool”. Appreciating those who drugs take from us, especially those who fought hard against succumbing, actually makes us hate and fear drugs more. That’s if you think about it instead of writing people off and making it harder for them to fight addiction because they don’t dare admit they need help.

43. Olivia says:

If it was not for Glee I would not know who Cory was he did not do enough work and his acting was not that stellar, he was not a legend he did not produce legendary work he should not be mentioned in emmy awards tribute he was never even nominated. He was at best an average actor who had not done any mind blowing pieces, sure he helped teens but did his work touch the masses no, this is an insult to the memory of the other honorees.

44. PLH says:

His death was unfortunate, but self-inflicted, and if anything it is sad that his generosity and charity work did not extend to himself.

As good of a person that he may have been, it does not justify any extra consideration for his professional career – success is not just about being popular with young people, its being respected by your peers for the body of work put together. In time, he may have met that criteria, but unfortunately because of his self-destructive ways, he did not give himself a chance to achieve the level of recognition that they other people being honoured did.

45. vanessa says:

Cory deserves a frickin humanitarian honour for being one of the most generous, kind and caring people on this planet. All you haters are missing the bigger picture. You might not believe the Emmy’s is a suitable award show for him to be honoured but then you are dissing three generations of individuals that watch Glee including children, their parents and even their grandparents. For all of you that don’t believe Cory wont be remembered in 50 years from now – you have your head in the sand – he was mourned on a global basis by his fans young and old and inspired generations to believe it was okay to just be yourself and accept yourself if you were different. I grew up with Michael Jackson and so did numerous people from my generation and if any of you think he is still not affecting or influencing people in the new generations you’re ignorant. Some of you mention his drug problems but that is not who he is or was, he was a soft hearted, generous, kind individual who was open and shared his problems like a man and wanted to help as many people as possible understand what he had been through and the seriousness of addictions. If you can look in the mirror and say you have no addictions to anything whether it be food, alcohol, smoking, depression, whatever then good for you – it must be difficult to be perfect – I will close with one quote – “if we are constantly judging people – when do we have time to LOVE them.” Mother Teresa – So all you haters – hate on and keep projecting your poison onto the planet, I chose to send love and light.

• Brit says:

There is no hate for Cory coming from me. I watched his show and really liked him, but he does not come close to deserving special recognition. I wish he did, but his life was one wasted.

He is a cautionary tale, not a celebratory one.

Here are unpleasant facts that cannot be denied:

1 – He failed himself.
      2 – He failed his family.
      3 – He failed his cast mates.
      4 – He failed his fans.
      5 – He failed his show and everyone in Hollywood who invested in him and loved him.

Trophies should not be given for failure.
      Trophies should be given for hard work and meeting responsibilities.

46. Brit says:

It is an absurd, and pathetic, joke to have Cory Monteith given any special attention or recognition.

Truth be told, probably 1000 or more young actors have killed themselves and their careers in the past 75 years in Hollywood and many of them with far better accomplishments.

There are simply no standards in Hollywood anymore. It is all smash and grab.

THIS EMMY MOVE IS 100% ABOUT SELLING OUT FOR MONEY, and not 1 billionth of a percent about the wasted life of Cory Monteith.