‘Copper’ Cancelled by BBC America

Copper BBC Canceled

BBC America is pulling the plug on “Copper,” the network has confirmed to Variety.

Drama from Tom Fontana and Will Rokos debuted on the cabler in August 2012, and kicked off its second season this June. BBC America applauded the series’ season one ratings, but its second run failed to build significant buzz or viewership, especially when compared to sibling series “Orphan Black.”

Cable net felt that ending the show’s run was timely, given the plot structure of the program, as well.

“Copper” will air its series finale on Sept. 22. Drama is produced by Shaw Media and Cineflix Studios.

1. The best show on television. What a disappointment. Please reconsider.

2. Angela says:

This is the most stupid thing I have heard. Get rid of Ophan Black and keep Copper. Copper is the best show that BBC has right now to me it is better than Doctor Who. Seriously this is a big time mistake!!! Save Copper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Kathleen Larsen says:

I just loved COPPER! What is real reason it was cancelled? And yet the BBC keeps Orphan Black on–now does that make any sense? How ’bout reconsidering your decision to cancel this very fine show!
    RIP. Corky.

4. Robert Sheets says:

What are you doing ? Why are you canceling a fantastic program with a story line that can go on for several years more . Is BBC not wanting to have an American version of BBC any more ?
    Copper , Ripper Street , are a class above many . Please reconsider your decision to cancel Copper !

5. Carol says:

So sad to see this show get cancelled. It was the one program my husband and I watched together every week. BBC America just lost two viewers after tonight.

6. ray kirkman says:

Sad to see it go. I loved it, and watched every week.

7. trwhitner says:

This is so sad. My husband and I love this show. I hope another network may want to pick it up. It has an amazing story line and tremendous actors.

8. pam c says:

I LOVED this show! Fantastic actors, interesting story… please reconsider and bring it back for another season!!

The reason I thought the 2nd season’s ratings dropped off was BBC’s stupid scheduling in the last few months! Last season if you missed the 10:00 showing, you could catch the episode again at 11:00 or 12 along with the previous week’s episode.
    In the 2nd season, after the 10:00 showing, BBC would show some stupid movie and not replay the episode until 2:30 or 3:00 a.m. I hate the way networks sabotage good shows with bad programming tactics.

9. Maybe they need the time slot for another crappy reality TV show.

10. Eric Tan says:

Great show. Interesting characters. Educational too. Too bad they reached that decision.

11. Denise Walters says:

Very disappointed to hear the show has been canceled. Excellent show. Please reconsider.

12. Susan says:

Great show, we loved it and watched faithfully. They just don’t make good drama like this much and I wish they’d changed nights in order to save it. We’ll miss it and wish they’d reconsider cancelling the show.

13. Evelyn says:

I do not understand. I finally find a show I enjoy and look forward to seeing and it is canceled. The actors are great and show is interesting. Can anything be done to keep this show on? They could have at least tried a different time slot before they canceled it.

14. Tania says:

Well, I tried and just couldn’t get into Orphan Black. Seriously, why do I even bother?

15. cmp says:

PLEASE reconsider canceling Copper! I am so sad and devastated that this decision was made so soon!! 2 seasons – it was never even given a chance – but you play Gordon Ramsey repeats everyday ?? I don’t understand . I don’t want to watch Gordon Ramsey and Copper is gone so we have no reason to watch BBC? Please I beg you to reconsider!!

16. ed arnold says:

copper was the only show i watched on the bbc. now i have no reason to watch your network.

17. Mary says:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I am not an avid TV watcher, but Copper to me…. was like the big screen. The set, the characters, the drama, the Irish…. This was the best tv show I have watched in my life. Please, please… reconsider. What a great cast…. what excellent actors…. Please….. do not cancel it!!!! Season II was great…. Donovan was an excellent story-line… he’s another great actor. OMG… I just know deep down Eva’s baby is Kevin’s!!!!!! Please…. keep it going. It truly is great TV!!!!!

18. Don Benn says:

Sorry to see it go. Thought season number one was great. Season two….not so much….but head and shoulders above many others. Have to agree with those who say that BBC -A still appears to be a little bit unclear as to what they want to be…..but I love being along for the ride as they try to figure it out.

19. Michael Brittain says:

Will miss it greatly. Such a fine looking drama and excellent cast. Very sad.

20. Cynthia Curtis says:

I’m incredibly upset! That is one of my favorite shows!!!

21. What a shame to cancel such a quality program when there is so much garbage on television that passes for entertainment. RIP, a great show!

22. Suzanne Sexton says:

Big loss for the fans like me. Given more publicity, this show could have been a big hit for BBC America. I personally think they pulled the plug way too soon.

23. I am devastated! While I would agree that the first season was better, I really felt that the second half of this season was picking up and found myself strongly anticipating each week’s new episode. This is a show that had so much more entertainment to give and will be sorely missed…RIP Five Points!

24. JB says:

I still can’t quite figure out what BBC-A is or wants to be…on one hand, there is a heckuva lot of British Programming (much not from the actual BBC, which is fine)..but while they won’t retread older British shows (unless hosted by Gordon Ramsey), they will retread Star Trek TNG to death. Copper was a decent show, but really seemed out of place with BBC-A…Orphan Black, while brilliant, also seems not to fit in. It seems like the end result is still far too much quality British programming winding up on PBS (Sherlock, Downton Abbey, etc) or other cable outlets (and even Hulu…such as The Thick of It), and not enough on BBC-A….i love the station, and it’s probably the station i watch most, but it really seems/feels like a hodgepodge of television formatics that’s still searching for it’s identity 15 years after launching on the back of old episodes of Jonathan Creek, Ballykissangel and Blackadder.

25. David Young says:

Mixed feelings about seeing the end of this series. The first season held alot of promise but the show seemed to deteriorate in the second season. It became too much like alot of American television — too much emphasis on shock and violence — with the characters seeming to have less depth as the show went on. It could’a been a contender.

• JJust says:

This. After watching the first season, I was looking forward to this season. By the third episode, I had to take it off the DVR… it just felt lost.