CNN To Use Erin Burnett Maternity Leave To Give Spotlight To Others

CNN logo
Courtesy of CNN

Don Lemon to test new show, "The 11th Hour," for three weeks in December

While Erin Burnett takes scheduled time off for maternity leave in December and January, CNN will use her absence to give more prominent airtime to two other anchors, while experimenting elsewhere on the schedule.

The Time Warner-owned cable-news outlet said Tuesday that both Jake Tapper and Don Lemon will each host her 7 p.m. program, “Outfront,” for three weeks. Tapper, who will continue to host his 4 p.m. program, “The Lead,” will fill the anchor chair at “Outfront” during the weeks of December 2, December 9 and December 16. Lemon, who has hosted a weekend edition of “CNN Newsroom,” will substitute for Burnett during the weeks of December 23, December 30 and January 6, CNN said.

Lemon will also get a three-week stint hosting a new program set to air at 11 p.m – typically an hour when CNN airs a rerun of Burnett’s program. “The 11th Hour” will run for three weeks at 11 p.m., staring the week of December 2. Brooke Baldwin will host “CNN Tonight” for half an hour starting at 11:30 p.m during that December stretch.

While ratings for CNN’s primetime schedule have improved this year owing to a string of big news events that often drive viewers to the network, the programs have not led the cable-news sector overall. Under CNN Worldwide President Jeff Zucker, the network has demonstrated a willingness to test new ideas. In April, CNN tested a roundtable talk program, “(Get To) The Point that featured Donny Deutsch, Linda Hoover and Rick Reilly in a breezy chat format. The show lasted a week on the air.

1. Barbara Goffman says:

I love CNN! Pierce Morgan and Anderson Cooper are my #1 favorites. Erin Burnett has been improving – she is trying hard and I believe she will succeed!!! I much prefer CNN over Fox News!
    I am an avid fan! However I think that the 10:00 PM slot which used to be “AFTER DARK’ should be replaced with more interesting television!

2. N J Berry says:

SoCal viewer so happy about your baby….but your sassy approach is missed by this fan!!! Not crazy about CNN’s new AM group, even tho’ Michaela & Indra are from here….Coumo & other girl just so-so….I hope you are able to expand your times on the air…and maybe be more prominent on the station.

3. Cassandra Wong says:

Erin we are so happy for your new baby. But please hurry back your show needs you it just isn’t the same without you

4. Christy says:

I am really going to miss seeing Erin Burnett’s show while she is gone. It’s as though she is a member of our family.

I want Erin to know that we will miss her. We wish her a delivery that is safe and not too painful. I would like her to think of the delivery as a blessed event. We pray that her baby will be healthy and happy. I know that any child of hers has got to be beautiful. I have never “known” a news woman who was both beautiful AND personable. Erin has just blossomed as her baby has grown within her. Take good care of yourself, Erin. I will be anxious to see you back on the air, but I would fully understand if you took an extended leave in order to spend some very precious time with your baby. You cannot ever get back the time with your child which you forfeit in order to keep your career going. Thanks for the great reporting.

5. Carole Evon says:

Erin is a great journalist. .my family tunes into Erin’s broadcast every night. So happy for her……best of luck!!!! We’ll miss her. Love Don Lemon….Jake Tapper…… Brooke Baldwin no, no, no! A far cry from Erin’s passionate reporting which, I feel,is so important. She would be good in this role on a TV series, maybe.

6. Erin did a great job with the dolphin rescued from plastic bag segment she “saved for broadcast”, but CNN needs to do a lot more on plastics, reduction of plastics, especially single use, and the need for regulation! Airing this kind of sweet rescue is OK but the issue is monumental and worthy of a feature.

7. linda charman says:

I knew it would take women to replace a woman. Erin is great and is able to delivery the news in a folks manner. Will await her return. CNN did a good job when they employed her.

8. Stephanie Cagle says:

Thank Goodness! Someone get rid of Erin Burnett already… Maybe CNN will do a better job checking credentials from now on!

• Christy says:

Your comment is downright rude and disrespectful. What other news anchor has connected with fans like Erin? There is nothing fake or arrogant about her. I would love to have her work for me.