Hillary Clinton CNN Documentary
Alex Wong/Getty Images

RNC says it will boycott CNN, NBC during 2016 presidential debates if nets go forward with programs

CNN issued a statement on Monday in response to The Republican National Committee’s threat to boycott the cable network during the 2016 presidential debates, in addition to NBC, over their upcoming Hillary Clinton documentaries.

The network called the move, spearheaded by RNC chairman Reince Priebus, a “disservice to voters.”

“CNN Films, a division of CNN Worldwide, commissioned a documentary about Hillary Clinton earlier this year. It is expected to premiere in 2014 with a theatrical run prior to airing on CNN. This documentary will be a non-fiction look at the life of a former First Lady and Secretary of State. Instead of making premature decisions about a project that is in the very early stages of development and months from completion, we would encourage the members of the Republican National Committee to reserve judgment until they know more. Should they decide not to participate in debates on CNN, we would find it curious, as limiting their debate participation seems to be the ultimate disservice to voters.”

In his letters, Priebus suggested that the projects were a “thinly veiled attempt at putting a thumb on the scales of the 2016 presidential election.”

“It’s appalling to know executives at major networks like NBC and CNN who have donated to Democrats and Hillary Clinton have taken it upon themselves to be Hillary Clinton’s campaign operatives,” Priebus said in a statement, calling “their actions to promote Secretary Clinton” “disturbing and disappointing.” He called them “political ads masked as unbiased entertainment.”

CNN recently announced plans for a feature-length documentary about Clinton, while NBC announced a miniseries about the former Secretary of State that will star Diane Lane.

Filed Under:

Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more
Comments 32