CBS Cancels ‘We Are Men,’ with ‘Mike and Molly’ Returning

We Are Men Canceled CBS

'Mike and Molly' will return to schedule in November

CBS has pulled the plug on rookie Monday sitcom “We Are Men” after two episodes, in the hopes of shoring up a night that has also seen freshman drama “Hostages” struggle.

Veteran laffer “Mike & Molly” will come off the Eye’s bench and move into the Monday lineup at 9 p.m. beginning Nov. 4, with repeats of the dominant “The Big Bang Theory” airing in the timeslot in the interim.

Moving into the “We Are Men” slot at 8:30 p.m. will be “2 Broke Girls,” which will benefit from following stronger 8 p.m. comedy “How I Met Your Mother.” In its farewell season, “Mother” has been CBS’ top Monday program.

CBS’ other new Monday sitcom, “Mom,” will remain in 9:30 p.m. in an hour that will feature two Chuck Lorre shows.

The problem for “We Are Men” (1.8 rating/5 share among viewers 18-49 this week, 5.4 million viewers overall) has been that it has lost a third or more of the audience from “Mother,” creating a domino effect that might be affecting the remainder of the Monday CBS sked. It was the same concern that led CBS to pull “Partners” from its Monday 8:30 p.m. slot a year ago, albeit after six episodes.

CBS clearly wants to give 10 p.m. limited series “Hostages” — starring Toni Collette and Dylan McDermott and exec produced by Jerry Bruckheimer — its best possible chance of recovering from a start that has seen it fall after three weeks to a 1.2 rating/3 share in the demo and 5.2 million overall. By comparison, “Hawaii Five-0” in the same hour drew 1.9/5, 8.4 million in the third week of last season.

A bounce for “Hostages,” either in DVR viewing or in its November numbers, would keep it on Mondays for the duration of its planned 15-episode run. But it’s not clear that CBS would tolerate its current viewership for the entire season, much less beyond. (“Under the Dome,” which occupied the timeslot in the summer and was also billed as a limited series, ended up earning a renewal for a second season.)

CBS can feel better about its new Thursday comedies. Last week, “The Crazy Ones” won its 9 p.m. timeslot in total viewers and challenged ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy” for the lead in the demo. At 8:30 p.m., “The Millers” has skewed older in audience but delivering sufficiently to avoid being in imminent jeopardy.

“We Are Men” starred Tony Shalhoub (in his first series regular role since the long-running “Monk”), Jerry O’Connell, Kal Penn, Chris Smith and Rebecca Breeds. Rob Greenberg, Eric Tannenbaum and Kim Tannenbaum and Bob Daily exec produced for CBS Television Studios.

“Men” is the first new broadcast comedy to be canceled in 2013-14. ABC axed hourlong drama “Lucky 7” last week, also after two episodes.

1. Christina Nicklas says:

You guys finally put a program on that is awesome that reminds me of when I was a kid and you’re going to cancel it. Y’all are a bunch of idiots I hope another network picks it up just to rub it in your face done with CBS

2. Carrie says:

we are men was great! I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time Super disappointed

3. Jody Thomason says:

I like the Crazy Ones. But I love The Millers. The fresh idea of this show is rewarding. It also isn’t full of bag language and sexual stuff. It is a wonderful show. Where the crazy ones boarder on it.

4. Violet says:

I am very sad CBS cancelled WE ARE MEN
    IT IS SUCH A GREAT SHOW , entertaining and funny, great cast and production. Hard work that will not be seen by anyone. Their decision was very reactive quick and no analytical
    It was showed at a wrong time, baseball and NFL time and dancing with the stars and the voice.
    Need to give them a chance to show their best, because the show had the best cast and production
    We will miss WE ARE MEN. Would CBS show the rest of the episodes?
    It will be great!

5. Anne Bacs says:

Liked We Are Men but LOVE Mike and Molly! Happy its coming back. Also love 2 Broke Girls! I like the humor

6. Kasey Scott says:

Two Broke Girls is way too rauchy – when did that become funny?

7. Karie Schott says:

LOVE Mike & Molly & so do all my friends/family. Glad to hear it’s coming back! Nice to see not so “perfect cookie cutter” people in cast. Most of the new sitcoms are stupid silly.

8. Bertine A Nixon says:

Glad to get Mike and Molly back immediately.

9. David McCoy says:

Its a BIG SHAME to have canceled We Are Men it was one of my new favorites…. I’m very disappoint with CBS

10. trkaelin says:

Can’t believe We are Men was canceled already. I thought it was a good show…… not really given much of a chance, was it? Maybe it will show up on TBS like Cougar Town…..

11. sherrt says:

yes, Hostage and MOM bad…..we are men was not given a chance

12. Bob says:

We are men was a good show put it back on if you want to cancel a show take off The crazy ones and put put We are men in there time slot we are men put the crazy ones to shame

13. sherrt says:

the show MOM should be canceled. really bad!!!!!

14. Linville says:

I don’t think they gave this show a chance. It was funny….hilarious, actually.

15. Lisa Riley says:

Why would you hold off Mike & Molly, one of the best comedy’s on tv? Currently, this is the best show on Monday’s

16. Karen Redd says:

Great, you cancel something I couldn’t wait to see to put on worthless crap I wouldn’t watch before and never will. Most of your shows are worthless crap, I’m not a child, and that’s why I won’t be watching your channel.

17. glenda says:

Thank you for bringing back Mike and Molly. I was worried Melissa McCarthy had become such a big star making movies, she wouldn’t come back to the show!

18. Bobby says:

We are Men wasn’t a bad show but blaming it for Hostages problems is wrong I watched both and while I won’t miss We are Men I have no intention of watching another episode of Hostage regardless of what precedes it. A bad show is a bad show and blaming another one isn’t going to fix the premise of show that is just bad

19. unkomin1 says:

Can’t wait to see the new Mike & Molly’s. We aremen make me glad I’m not one. !

• Ken says:

Mike & Molly and Two Broke Girls are my favorite tv shows on CBS, and I’m glad Mike & Molly is coming back soon, because I believe Mike & Molly makes Monday nights on CBS all the more enjoyable to watch.

• Ken says:

I’m glad I didn’t watch We Are Men, because it never had a chance in the first place. But, with Mike & Molly coming back soon, and my favorite tv show “Two Broke Girls” going back to 7:30, I have a good feeling that the ratings on CBS Mondays will start going up again, slowly but surely. And, soon I’ll be able to watch as many as three sitcoms in one night.

THANK YOU CBS FOR BRINGING BACK MIKE & MOLLY!

20. Karen Koepke says:

I absolutely love “2 Broke Girls”. I think it’s one of the funniest shows on tv. I also love “The Big Bang Theory”, “Mike and Molly”. I think that “Two and a Half Men” has run its course.

21. Karen Koepke says:

Glad they canceled “We Are Men”, I couldn’t even get through the first episode, it was horrible! Thank goodness for reruns of “The Big Bang Theory” on TBS!

22. Sharon Andrews says:

I love Mike and Molly but I was also starting to enjoy We are men. They can cancel 2 Broke girls because I feel it just shows women as being somewhat stupid at times. I feel that they don’t give some programs enough time to be accepted by the public, what would have happened had someone canceled Steinfeld, because they didn’t think that was any good after the first few shows and look how that turned out.

23. laurie rickel says:

i love mike and molly. it is hilarious

24. shirley macuch says:

I think the Millers are great really funny,we are men!!! jerry o’connell can’t catch a break!!! it pretty bad!!so glad to hear mike & molly are coming back!!!

25. cadavra says:

“skewed older in audience?” Oh, noes! We can’t have old people watching our programs! What will the neighbors think?

26. Kaiju Cowboy says:

How many canceled shows has Jerry O’Connell done? Maybe it’s time for a career evaluation.

27. teh_skeeze says:

They never wanted this show to succeed in the first place. Why would you run a show geared towards men up against Monday Night Football?

28. Rick says:

People love Two Broke Girls, cuz Kat Dennings. She has nice talents… and she’s in Thor 2 : Wrath of Thunder Dark Clouds Abound. Mick n’ Molly it’s no Mork & Mindy, it’s not even Laverne & Shirley! But We R Men. What the world needs is Jerry O’Connell to play a Superhero Dad, who has a Superson. A take on a tv show he did as a kid…

29. sr says:

Had no desire to watch We Are Men, and have no desire to watch 2 Broke Girls which is nothing less than sound bites of sexual innuendos. Mike & Molly has run its course and will plummet in the ratings; this will be its final year —thank goodness.

30. Chrisez says:

“Dads” is probably next on the chopping block.