Bob Newhart Wins First Emmy, Plans ‘Big Bang’ Return

Bob Newhart Big Bang Theory Guest

Comic actor had given up on Emmys in past

Fresh off his first Emmy win in more than 50 years of performing, Bob Newhart said he wasn’t done appearing on “The Big Bang Theory.”

“There’s a script I’ll be doing in October, and I’m pretty sure I play Professor Proton in that,” Newhart said backstage after accepting his award – to a standing ovation – at the 2013 Creative Arts Emmys on Sunday. “But he might have given up his science thing. That’s up to Chuck (Lorre) and the writing team.”

Newhart said that in the past, he had resigned himself to never winning an Emmy.

“There were a couple years where I didn’t submit my name,” Newhart said. “I just felt that the kind of stuff I do doesn’t win awards. And I didn’t really want to go through the process and the disappointment. So maybe for six years, three of ‘The Bob Newhart Show’ and three of ‘Newhart,’ I didn’t bother submitting my name. That way I could sit at home and say, ‘I would have won.’

“The best answer is really, the years I was nominated, there were better people in the category than me. You could try to put it another way, but that’s the truth.”

But the pursuit by Lorre opened the door for Newhart’s Emmy breakthrough.

“Chuck Lorre had been after me,” Newhart said. “We had over the years talked about doing something – it finally was this year, and he said, ‘What will it take?’ I said, ‘It has to be in front of a live audience,’ because that’s all I’ve ever done. I don’t know how to do a show not in front of a live audience. So he said, how about “The Big Bang Theory,’ and I said, ‘Great,’ because I think it’s the best-written show on television. And I said I wanted it to be a recurring role – I didn’t want it to be one and out.”

In his usual softspoken manner, Newhart indicated that it was a special night.

“The standing ovation tonight really threw me,” Newhart said. “I was totally unprepared for that. This is from your peers.”

1. Ed McGrath says:

Mr. Newhart, as a fellow St. Ignatius graduate I have to repeat the Jesuit retort that you are an inspiration to all failed accountants.

2. bobbi.sfo@sfo.us says:

Newhart didn’t get a “Newhart” award, or a “Bob Newhart Show” award, or even a stand-up comedy award. Years of laughter, and insights and preposterously funny straight-man lines, but he never saw the light of day for anything popularly known as public kudos.

Instead, he’s tapped for a one-time appearance in a VASTLY over-rated, cliched, far-past-its-prime situation comedy that’s just not worthy of Bob Newhart’s “street cred”.

Bob Newhart pulls up the “comic cred” of Parsons and his ilk, not vice versa. They reportedly get US$200K per episode, each. (That’s just **wrong**, from so many perspectives as to defy description.)

I sure hope Bob got something better than that for his week of work!

3. dvoros says:

Very much deserved and so long overdue. Congrats Mr. Newhart. You have always made me laugh and brought smiles to my face. I wish I was there to stand and applaud.

4. Laureen N. says:

I’ve always thought of Bob Newhart as being the best comic actor on television. I am SO glad that he finally won his Emmy. It would have been a real shame if he never won an Emmy after all the incredible work he’s done over the years. Both Newhart and The Bob Newhart Show are at the very top of all the sit-coms that have been shown on television over the years, so it’s totally appropriate for him to have a recurring role on this era’s best sit-com, “The Big Bang Theory”.

5. MattH. says:

No one ever seems to remember that Bob’s first series on NBC did win the Emmy for Outstanding Humor Program in 1961 (That was the title of the award category back then). I guess he wasn’t a producer and thus didn’t share in the Emmy statuette glory, but his humor has definitely been recognized by the Emmys before.

6. Max Wilde says:

Bravo! I’m smiling … and Larry, Daryl and Daryl are smiling … we’re all smiling remembering all those laughs!

7. J Walther says:

Finally Newhart wins an Emmy! Well deserved! btw Hi Bob!