AMC Renews ‘Hell on Wheels’ for Season 4 After Saturday Rebound

Hell of Wheels Renewed AMC

Western drama will expand to 13 episodes for summer 2014 run

After a ratings turnaround in its third season, AMC has given a fourth season pickup to Western drama “Hell on Wheels” from Endemol and Entertainment One.

AMC is so encouraged by “Wheels’ ” growth in season three, when it moved to a Saturday berth from Sunday, that it is expanding the order to 13 episodes, following 10-episode orders for the previous three seasons. “Hell on Wheels” endured a series of creative changes early on but has found its footing under the direction of showrunner John Wirth, who will continue at the helm.

“John Wirth and his team on both sides of the camera delivered a remarkable third season and ‘Hell on Wheels’ fans responded,” said Charlie Collier, AMC president. “AMC has served passionate Western fans for three decades, so it is particularly gratifying to see these viewers capping off their Saturdays with an original Western on what has historically been a tough night of the week for television.”

There’s still no word from AMC on the renewal fate for another Endemol drama, “Low Winter Sun.” The cabler also has two pilots in contention for series orders, “Galyntine” and “Knifeman.”

Mark Richard and Endemol Studios’ head of creative affairs, Jeremy Gold, also exec produce “Hell on Wheels” with Wirth.

1. bill says:

I love the show but missed last couple shows where he was imprisoned in camp and needs to be rescued.. how can I catch up?

2. Dee says:

best show on TV. love it and happy there will be a season 4.

3. John says:

They need to get on board for more than just 13 more episodes… keep it goin. best show

4. Tyler Hoorn says:

Hell on Wheels catches the realism of the old West. Great show and I hope they make more than just a season 4. I hear many friends and colleagues talking about it as if it’s the best show on TV.

5. Wilma says:

Thank you for Hell On Wheels Renewal.

6. I told one of the producers that they need to come back like Josey Wales, not Brokeback Mtn. Dump the PC crap (the lesbian reporter), widow Cullen PDQ, and get the guns to blazing!

7. Diane Hoover says:

When does it start? I love the show too. Best acting and action. Do more horse riding. Keep Elem and Eva on. Just wish they did not kill off Lily.

8. Deb says:

I agree this show is awesome!! Keep up the great work.Looking forward to next episode.

9. bethann hardison says:

I too love the show. Its best on Saturday, too much on Sundays. But must I accept that Common’s character is dead ? Killed by a grizzle bear ?
    The lead actor is amazing, and Common’s character was a good intense “best friend”.

10. Heather says:

Great decision to keep Hell On Wheels on the air!! I think it’s a perfect time slot….nothing ever is good on tv on Saturday nights! Now there IS!! MORE and MORE people are staying at home. It just needs more advertising to let people know what it’s about! Spread the word folks!! Love it!!! AMC made my day!! Thanks!! Great writing..great acting!!!! Keep it going!!!! Wonderful characters!!!!

11. I must say the lead actor on Hell on Wheels is hot&sexy even when character he portrays is filthy.!

12. locomotive says:

It was a smart move to Saturday, which desperately needed a good show to follow. I hope the writers get our man out of this baby story line real quick. He needs to be back at the railroad kicking butt.

13. Lesley -Sweet Home Alabama says:

I love this show! Very raw and a dang good Western! I like the fact that it portrays people as they were for the time! I do like the idea of additional episodes! Good choice of actors! Fearless at best! Summer schedule would be better or early spring! I would much rather watch a fiction about our history of civil war, native americans, the railroad and the west rather a bunch Zombies! Thank you for bringing this one back! Finally tv worth watching!

14. David Guirao Tatlitug says:

This is a fantastic show that lacked the number of episodes needed to tell a good story and to hold an audience. Great to hear an increase to 13 episodes has been ordered. The wait between seasons ifs far too long. Fortunately the traditional networks are still to coward to present programs like this and The Walking Dead which are doing very well.

15. harleyb says:

Ya first it was revenge thriller, then it was a crime-action thriller, then it was ‘oh wait watching a period piece surrounding the building of The Railroad right after slavery is dramatic enough’. I always felt when watching the show that it had a superb base with far too much chuffa.

16. Good to read. 3rd season was a tad underwhelming…kind of like the stench of pending death was in the air, and that was after 2 great seasons (in my opinion).
    But with 13 hours for them to tell the 4th seasons story…they may come back strong. I’m there regardless. Hopefully it returns to Sunday Night,

17. sr says:

Sorry to say the Hell on Wheels was so boring watching paint dry would be considered more exciting. I really tried to get into this series (netflix) but couldn’t. I found the story lines dull, the acting less than stellar. Maybe placing a gun to my head would either force me to watch this abysmal stretch of history or silence the pain. I would have derailed this after the first season.