Al Jazeera America Launch Draws Weak Ratings

Al Jazeera America Tonight

Al Jazeera America is off to a sluggish ratings start as expected.

According to Nielsen data for Monday as it kicked off its first full week, AJAM’s most popular primetime show was “America Tonight,” which attracted 27,000 viewers. In comparison, Fox News’ “The O’Reilly Factor” drew 2.97 million, MSNBC’s “Rachel Maddow” bagged 970,000, and CNN’s “Anderson Cooper” reeled in 627,000.

Last Thursday night’s “Real Money with Ali Velshi,” which only drew 54,000 viewers, was the new network’s highest rated show last week, TV Newser reported. AJAM’s launch hour — Aug. 20 at 3 p.m. — averaged 22,000, below Nielsen’s minimum accuracy threshold. This means that the number is essentially an estimate, as Nielsen couldn’t accurately count the viewers.

By comparison, Al Jazeera America’s main Twitter handle has more followers than its highest-rated show last week, having accumulated over 75,000 followers at the time of this article’s publication.

The Tuesday debuts of “The Stream” and “America Tonight” averaged 38,000 and 34,000 viewers, respectively. The Thursday noon edition of “News Live,” on the other hand, averaged 40,000, while the Saturday 2 p.m. show attracted 8,000 more viewers. Meanwhile, “Inside Story” reeled in 41,000 viewers Thursday at 12:30 p.m.

AJAM, which replaced the low-rated Current TV, is currently broadcast in only 40 million homes after losing several million homes when AT&T dropping the network on launch day.

1. Wappingers91 says:

I have not watched this news channel yet nor I plan to . To hell with Al Gore.

2. Carolyn Reed says:

I just watch a show on AJ about the first big performance of Rites of Spring in Paris. I’ve known about that forever but never knew what it looked like. There was an attempt to show what the dance looked like. Wow that was so cool!! My American TV might do that on PBS but most news orgs wouldn’t show me that. Wonderful!!

3. Bucky Jim says:

I deleted the channel as soon as I learned DirecTv picked up the station. I remember their anchors laughing and smiling every time they showed any bin laden anti-American video. I refuse to succumb to the obvious attempt to soften Americans to the muslim third-world mindset.

4. saeed rasheed says:

I really enjoy the network and AT&T is trying to censor the news. AT&T has a hidden agenda, I have cancelled my phone service and urge all muslims to do the same.

5. Babette says:

Really??? I applaud AT&T!! Gore should now be made to turn over the money made from the sell….

• Boggs says:

Then again, maybe most Americans have no interest at all in the new terrorist supporting outfit. understand that advertisers are not exactly lined up to buy ad time from them either. I’m thinking Air America popularity and eventual death with a whimper.

6. Jean Oppenheimer says:

I would watch the network if Time Warner offered it! I have written Time Warner twice, but don’t hold out much hope the company will change its mind.

7. David says:

I watched the premiere preview show and the following news programming for about 3 hours or more. I LIKE this news source! It seems more average-person-oriented than ANY of the other news programming including local news. “Real Money” and “The Stream” are high on my list of choices!

• bogtrotter52 says:

Well, now we know who their viewer is. LOL. When they get like Air America and have to start begging for donations, don’t forget to write a check.

8. Nanny Mo says:

Oh really, poor ratings? If this was all that was one TV, I’d go back to reading Newsweek. Allah himself couldn’t get me to watch Al Jazeeera America!

9. Nancy says:

I had trouble finding it, the channel it was supposed to be in my area was not available
    I am interested in seeing the program but have not found it
    I love Ali Veshi and his money show. :)

10. DJF says:

Charles, whats your point……..?

11. Charles says:

Comparing Al Jazeera to Fox Snooze is like comparing Apples and oranges. Fox Snooze ion every cable provider possible. Al Jazeera is on Dish, DirectTV, Comcast, Verizon FIOS. Comcast and Verizon FIOS are not available to everyone. Time-Warner, Cox, et al are exercising their First Amendment right, to deny access to their system, that doesn’t meet their Corporate political leanings.

12. Dick Delson says:

Al Gore walked away with half a billion
    h by selling Current to these clowns.

• bogtrotter52 says:

Actually, comparing them to FOX News would be wrong. Now comparing them to Air America in terms of their future is very accurate. Are advertisers lining up to buy air time for ads yet? LOL