‘Weeds’ Cinematographer Steven H. Smith Dies at 68

'Weeds' Cinematographer Steven H. Smith Dies

Steven H. Smith, who worked on TV shows and movies in several camera positions, died July 19 of pancreatic cancer. He was 68.

Smith was most recently director of photography for 16 episodes of “Weeds” on Showtime.

He attended Art Center College of Design in Pasadena and worked as a graphic artist before moving to Pacific Title, where he created the title and optical effects for “Mr. Majestyk” in 1974. Smith then segued into camera work as a second assistant on film and television projects including “Little House on the Prairie.” On Ridley Scott’s “Blade Runner,” he served as first camera assistant, a position he also held on ” Lookin’ to Get Out,” “Staying Alive” and “Brainstorm.”

As a camera operator, Smith worked on films including “Joe vs. the Volcano,” “The Bodyguard” and “Robin Hood: Men in Tights.” He also worked regularly on TV shows including “Doogie Howser, M.D.,” “Party of Five,” “House, M.D.,” “Bones” and “Eli Stone. ”

He is survived by two sons, two daughters and five grandchildren.

Donations may be made to the Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research at UCLA.

1. Bruce Pobjoy says:

You were my best friend ever. We pledged the fraternity together, lived together, worked in aerospace together, went in the Marine Corps. together. You did title design, I worked in the still lab at Pacific Title, you went into camera, I went into post production. We made spagettt sauce, baked beans with a lot of red wine, did the lizard walk at Bob’s Big Boy, dug holes with our feet doing squat thrusts in boot camp. Went to Dodger games, Ram games, and most of all the Trojan games that year we ended the season with a 50-0 shellacking of the Bruins!

There are no words possible to relay how much I miss you Steve. I am only happy for you now that you have shed your body and are once again healthy and vibrant where your soul lives in peace. True success is not judged by what you accomplish, but by how you are loved, and you my friend have no equals!

2. Angela Smith says:

You were an amazing father in law and raised an amazing son. Steve and I think of you every day and miss you. Love ya is just not enough. The world was a better place with you here.

3. Mike Davis says:

I was a young assistant cameraman in the mid 80’s and worked with Steve on many occasions. Needless to say, I thought I knew a thing or two. The fact was though, that Steve had more knowledge, skill and expertise in his left pinky then I would ever hope to attain. He was an amazing mentor, colleague, craftsmen, friend, and most of all, a great person. Sometimes charity is hard to come by, but it poured out of Steve in so many ways. I am so honored to have known him and to have had him as a friend. Steve, you will be sorely missed by many. Wherever you have gone is now a better place for having you. RIP Steve.

4. Sean O'Shea says:

One of the best human beings I have ever known. Thank you for the guidance and the laughs for so many years. There will never be another like you. RIP my great friend Steve.

5. Tom Connole says:

If you arrived on the set and saw Steve, you knew, knew, you were going to have a great day. Thanks Steve, see you on the other side.

6. Gordon Paschal says:

I miss you and will always love you, Steve. You’re the best of the best.

7. Jon-Carlos Amezcua says:

Best humor, vision and creativity I have seen. Huge heart and amazing family. I am lucky to have known you buddy!

8. Dad,
    Everyone that knew you loved you so much. You were a kind and generous man and your jokes and sense of humor will be greatly missed. I will always rember the sets you took me on and sleeping on the camera truck. Love and miss you..
    Jen

9. Steven Smith says:

Dad,

I had the privilege of being your son for 45 years. I always looked forward to the US Open and the Masters when we would spend all day together or calling each other about golf. You were a great father to me. You may not have thought so but you were. You were right about everything ….no regrets

Love you so much

10. Elisha "E" Boyle says:

Steve, Thank you for everything buddy. I learned a lot from you, and was amazed by your courage. You the man. Much Love. E.

11. Natalie says:

I love you dad. You were the best in the business! Xo