Honorees to be saluted at Palm Springs International Film Festival
Variety has chosen its 10 Directors to Watch for 2013.
At a time when many have criticized the entertainment industry for the absence of female directors, it’s worth noting that five of the 11 directors on the list (one entry consists of a pair) are women.
- Amma Asante (“Belle”)
- Clio Barnard (“The Selfish Giant”)
- Anthony Chen (“Ilo Ilo“)
- Paul Duane (“Very Extremely Dangerous.” “Natan”)
- Ben Falcone (“Tammy”)
- Maya Forbes (“Infinitely Polar Bear”)
- Aron Gaudet & Gita Pullapilly (“Beneath the Harvest Sky”)
- Dome Karukoski (“Heart of a Lion”)
- Justin Simien (“Dear White People”)
- Gren Wells (“The Road Within”)
Variety will also recognize John Lee Hancock (“Saving Mr. Banks.”) with the Creative Impact in Directing award and actor Jonah Hill (“The Wolf of Wall Street”) with the Creative Impact in Acting Award.
The Dec. 17 issue of Variety will include profiles of the directors and Creative Impact honorees, who will also be honored at a brunch on Jan. 5 at the Parker Palm Springs.
Mercedes-Benz is the presenting sponsor of the brunch and of the Creative Impact awards.
Directors who have appeared on the 10 to Watch list in years past include Ben Affleck (“Argo”), George Clooney (“The Ides of March”), Christopher Nolan (“The Dark Knight Rises”) and Benh Zeitlin (“Beasts of the Southern Wild”).