Tom Cruise Developing Jack Reacher Sequel at Paramount

Tom Cruise Developing Jack Reacher Sequel

'Jack Reacher' sequel project out to writers

Paramount Pictures and Skydance Prods. are re-teaming to develop a sequel to Tom Cruise’s “Jack Reacher,” based on the series of Lee Child novels.

The project is based on “Never Go Back,” published in September as Child’s 18th book in the series, in which Reacher heads to the Virginia headquarters of his old military unit and is arrested for a crime he doesn’t remember committing 16 years earlier.

The studio is seeking a writer to adapt “Never Go Back” and has not selected a director. Christopher McQuarrie directed “Jack Reacher” from his own script with Cruise, Paula Wagner, Gary Levinsohn and Dana Goldberg producing.

“Jack Reacher,” released last Dec. 21, grossed $216 million worldwide.

News was first reported by the Deadline.com site.

1. Army Hammer should’ve portrayed Reacher if the film-makers were concerned about a perfect physical fit. However, the majority of film-goers haven’t read the books and aren’t aware that Reacher’s size almost defines his character and informs his decisions. Cruise is a box-office draw and was fine portraying a character who is smart, proactive, fearless and a thorough detective who doesn’t take $hit from anyone.

2. Ben says:

“Never Go Back” might have been the best of all Jack Reacher novels … until the ending which was so-so and way too quick

• JD says:

Ben, they didn’t do the ending to the first movie exactly like the book, so hopefully they’ll do that again and improve the book ending with the ending to the sequel.

• Chloe says:

I agree, the ending was kind of rubbish, but the rest of the book was fantastic.

3. treetop says:

Why don’t we have some suggestions on here as to who would make a good Jack Reacher? I can think of an actor called Wayne or Dwayne he is over 6 feet tall can’t remember his second name though, someone help me out please.

4. Mark Frasier says:

I was hoping they do the adaption of “The Affair” that was kind of the origin tale of Jack Reacher. Tom Cruise proves he can play Reacher in the first one.

5. Great News! I loved the first one, I also went out and bought several of the Reacher books after seeing the movie. As far As Tom Cruise like him or dislike him, it doesn’t matter. He’s a Damm good actor also a huge box office star of the last 30 years

6. george gras says:

I don’t understand why people are so quick to diss TC, he’s one of the better actor’s of our time,,,I’ve never seen anyone go on about Redford or Hoffman’s height,,,Redford has to stand on orange crates at times,,,Good Grief,,,,I hadn’t read any of the books til after I saw the first movie,,,It was good enough to get me on board

7. Jim says:

I didn’t care for the first movie….I thought the character had to go through such a change to accommodate TC’s physical limitations that it became something other than Reacher. That said, you can’t help but appreciate the fact that he managed to bag a sequel…..Oompa Loompas have had such a hard time of it since the Wonka franchise fell on hard times…..

• treetop says:

George it isn’t TC they are dissing. for us diehard Reacher fans we see him as a 6′ 5″ built like a brick outhouse. Mr Cruise as fine actor as he is doesn’t quite fit the image. Having said that I did enjoy the film.

8. Stuart says:

I for one did not mind TC in the role, I was sceptical at first but it’s more about the character and the way he goes about investigating the crime and if he has to he knock the hell out of people! JR plans fights with physics and not just physical effort.
    I live in the UK and despite the trolls going on about his height, I believe no one could have been cast better than Tom, you do have to give it to him, he played the part very well, he made the role his own as he knew people would slate him because of his height or lack of. I wish the second one was based on bad luck and trouble as it would be good to see who they cast as the other 110MP special investigators!

• Chloe says:

Stuart, you are a genius, I really would love good luck and trouble as a film! I for one would love to see Karla and Dave, and Neagley especially. I did however, have a problem with the first one, not because of Tom Cruise, but because of the story. It was so different from the book,,which I loved so much. For me, as a Reacher film, it was a disappointment. As a Tom Cruise film, it was good, however. It’s like the Bourne Legacy, good film, but not really a real Bourne film. The concept, for me, is the same.

9. Paul says:

Really great news. Lve the charecter and thought the film did the concept justice. I’m okay with TC in the role. size is not all what Jacks about pp

10. Mr. Ted Schilling says:

I thought it was called ‘Jack ReachAround.’

11. Joe says:

can’t wait. First one is one of the best.

12. Berta says:

you must be all TC relatives…he was a awful Jack Reacher

13. Ted Gignilliat says:

Hmmm as smart as he was bit don’t remember what he’s done!!! I don’t know maybe it can be spiced up. A book and a movie is not the same.

14. Dennis says:

I think Chris McQuarrie deserves a lot recognition for his part in the look, feel, and success of the first movie. I’m disappointed he’s not connected with the new effort at this point. Oh, well; that’s Hollywood.

15. There’s a deserved kick in backside for the media desperate to call flop after the first film was out for 3 days!

16. john says:

Pleased to hear this I feel Tom Cruise did an excellent job as Jack Reacher and hope the series is a success.

17. Bruce says:

Really liked Jack Reacher. Glad the sequel is getting a green light.

18. I am thrilled to hear Tom is committing to producing and starring in another Reacher movie! In spite of all the nonsense about Tom’s height vs. Reacher’s, Mr. Cruise is did a fantastic job playing the role in One Shot. I totally ‘bought’ Tom’s Reacher vibe, and thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

I’m a huge fan of Lee Child’s, Jack Reacher and Tom Cruise. I will most definitely be purchasing a ticket on opening night. :)

• Fido says:

Enjoyed the first movie so great news about the sequel.What I loved about the movie, similar to the last Mission Impossible film, was that things don’t go smoothly, there are frequently bumps along the way, but he is always pushing on. After seeing the movie I audioed the whole book series and have no problem with any story tweeks they made turning the book into a movie.