Burton would direct and Keaton would reprise title role in Warner Bros. sequel
Sources have told Variety that Burton is in talks to return as director, with Keaton also in talks to reprise his role as everyone’s favorite ghoul.
Seth Grahame Smith penned the script and will produce with his partner David Katzenberg through their KatzSmith Productions. Grahame-Smith recently tweeted that he had big news coming, which started stirring speculation as to what it could be.
Big news today. Very exciting, and very daunting. Lots of work ahead.—
Seth Grahame-Smith (@sethgs) October 16, 2013
A handful of insiders close to the project had said Keaton had been interested in returning to the role after Warner Bros. announced plans to go forward with the sequel, but the Burton news is sure to raise eyebrows.
Burton is not big on sequels (his last one was 1992’s “Batman Returns”), so when this film was first announced, most didn’t expect him to return as helmer. Burton is currently filming “Big Eyes” with Christoph Waltz and Amy Adams but had not committed to his next project.
Plus, Burton has a good relationship with Grahame-Smith from when the former came on as a producer to the latter’s adaptation of “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter,” which may have opened the door to Burton returning as a director.
The WME-repped Burton is also eyeing his Fox project “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children,” with one source saying it could possibly go before “Beetlejuice 2.” Keaton is repped by ICM Partners.
The duo also collaborated on last year’s “Dark Shadows,” starring Johnny Depp.
Schmoes Know first reported the news.