Terrence Howard Blames Robert Downey Jr. for ‘Iron Man’ Exit

Terrence Howard
Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic

Iron Man may be one of Hollywood’s biggest superheroes, but for actor Terrence Howard, Robert Downey Jr. is anything but a savior.

While appearing on Bravo’s “Watch What Happens Live” Thursday night, Howard accused the “Iron man” star of kicking him out of Marvel’s hit franchise and taking his sequel money along the way.

Howard, who was replaced by Don Cheadle in the “Iron Man” films, claimed Marvel only offered one-eighth of what he was contractually obligated to. He also said Downey Jr. wouldn’t return his call for three months after pulling him from the movie.

“It turns out that the person that I helped become Iron Man, when it was time to… re-up for the second one took the money that was supposed to go to me and pushed me out,” Howard said. “We did a three-picture deal. So that means, you did the deal ahead of time. It was going to be a certain amount for the first one, a certain amount for the second, certain amount for the third.

He continued, “They came to me (for) the second and said, ‘We will pay you one-eighth of what we contractually had for you, because we think the second one will be successful with or without you.’ And I called my friend that I helped get the first job, and he didn’t call me back for three months.”

Howard is currently promoting his new film “Best Man Holiday,” which opened nationwide Friday.

1. Jazzy says:

@ Xybernauts: Um, please explain how Iron Man 2 was racist? I hated it anyway.

2. Xybernauts says:

Honesty, I was pissed when Howard was removed from Iron Man 2 and replaced with Cheadle. Thing is even if his version of the story is true, should he be surprised? The idea that RDJ would jeopardize the role that helped put him back on the map to help Howard or that he wouldn’t accept a pay increase is ludicrous. In a more perfect world perhaps one actor might jeapordize his wealth and career for another actor on the basis of “friendship” or “loyalty”, but this is Hollywood.

That said, Iron Man 2 was a really racist movie, and it wasn’t even good. They didn’t need to take whatever resentment they had towards Howard and use it to insult ALL black people.

3. Shay says:

I don’t believe this at all! I think the original story holds true. The movie came out, he saw how big of a hit the whole series was going to be and he held out for more money. RDJ is Iron Man. It doesn’t matter who plays the supporting roles and Marvel told him that, he didn’t like it and they recast the role to Don. Bottom line.

Plus I don’t believe for a second he had ANYTHING to do with getting Robert the job. RDJ getting the role of Iron Man was all him and of course Jon. If you watch Robert’s audition on the Iron Man DVD you can tell NOBODY else was going to get that part. RDJ was just to perfect!

4. brian says:

So sad if this is true…

5. Jojoba says:

I’ve worked with Howard before. Everyone knows he’s nearly impossible to work with. A complette headache and i’m not talking about tempermental actor stuff. I’m talking about being a no show on set. Missing flighs missing his call times and leaving his co-stars high and dry on numerous occasions. When I saw that he had been dumped from Iron Man 1 i knew exactly why. As talented as he is he is not worth the head ache to deal with and it’s a shame. He shoudl work more and be a huge star but this is the reason why he isn’t

6. Robbie Goldstein says:

Sad if true.. How much is enough. Wonder what cheadle has to say.. Thought would never cross Jennifer Lawrence mind.. Besides being the great actress she is at so young an age.. I believe she is just a good person.. And will for a very long time.. Because she is. Turn out the lights Robert Downey you had the lucky window open one to many times for you I think..