George Clooney’s ‘Monuments Men’ Pushed to 2014

Monuments Men Trailer

Pic's exit is the latest Oscar contender to exit the race

As the latest potential Oscar contender to exit the awards race, Sony’s George Clooney-directed WWII drama “The Monuments Men” has moved to first quarter 2014.

According to Clooney, the film won’t be ready in time to make its original Dec. 18 release date.

Sony has yet to set a new date for the pic.

The news, which broke Tuesday evening, surprised the industry, especially since Sony has been so high on the film, having begun marketing the film with two theatrical trailers already. The studio also hired an awards consultant for the film.

“Monuments Men,” which is based on the book by Robert M. Edsel and Bret Witter, tells the true story of a motley crew of historians and art dealers, who were sent behind enemy lines to rescue stolen art from the Nazis. Clooney, who also co-wrote the film with Grant Heslov, toplines an ensemble, which includes Matt Damon, Cate Blanchett, Bill Murray, John Goodman and Jean Dujardin.

A list of other Ocar contenders have vacated the race in recent weeks, including Sony Classics’ “Foxcatcher” and the Weinstein Co.’s “Grace of Monaco.” It’s still uncertain whether Paramount also will move Martin Scorsese’s “The Wolf of Wall Street” to 2014. The director is racing to finish the film and should know whether he can within the coming weeks, according to sources.

The Los Angeles Times broke the “Monuments Men” story.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 4

Leave a Reply

4 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. stu freeman says:

    Scorsese should NEVER be compelled to edit his films to a given length or to avoid their receiving an NC-17 rating. He’s earned the right to final cut.

  2. Broadwayfan says:

    I’m disappointed, but will just have to wait a bit longer. I’m really looking forward to this film. Trailers are wonderful.

  3. DOWNLOAD says:

    Hi there, I discovered your blog by the use of Google whilst searching for a comparable topic, your
    website got here up, it looks great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

    Hi there, simply become aware of your weblog via Google, and located that it’s really informative.
    I’m gonna be careful for brussels. I’ll be grateful in case you continue
    this in future. Numerous people might be benefited out of your writing.
    Cheers!

  4. I do not know if it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else experiencing issues with your website.
    It looks like some of the text on your posts are running off the screen.

    Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too?

    This could be a problem with my internet browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
    Thank you

More Film News from Variety

Loading