POLL: Is Ben Affleck the Right Choice for Batman?

Ben Affleck Batman Poll
Paul Drinkwater/Getty Images

Oscar-winning director Ben Affleck is set to star as Batman in the upcoming Superman-Batman feature, which leads us to ask: do you think Warner Bros. and DC Comics made the right move?

1. Rob says:

What the hell did Warner brother’s just do!! Not only did you destroy and good fanchise but you butchered a great comic book character….way to go!

2. Screen test? Why can’t they show us? Than we can make an educated decision.

3. Anony Mous says:

Might as well call it ”Gigli 2”…

4. Eric says:

Ben? Really? What, he does one movie that oh by the way only Hollywood liked, now he’s gonna do something he couldn’t do in DareDevil? He maybe an actor, but he’s not Batman or Bruce Wayne.

5. Dk says:

Whenever new casting calls are made for huge roles like this, people will get mad. But remember back in 1989, when Keaton was batman, fans everywhere were pissed. But he took on the role perfectly, and without him, we wouldn’t have the darker, brooding batman we have today. And what about heath ledger, everyone trashed him for months, but today, we all know him as one of the best cinematic villains of all time. All I’m saying is, will Affleck be a good batman, I don’t know, but don’t be so hasty to belittle his character.

• Nick says:

People did sign petitions asking to recant ledger or Keaton. They were given a shot to take on the roles because they established themselves as good believable actors. Affleck does not even fall in the realm of mediocre. Name one good film that he was in where he was not floated by his costars…enough said.

6. Eric says:

What a outrageous pick. What stupid person thought he would be able to pull off being batman? Really? I have a another idea, since your gonna destroy batman let’s just scrap the Justice League movie. It will flop. They will put a ton of money into advertisement but because of Ben it will flop. You can take that to the bank.

7. Arnie Tracey says:

For Ben, substitute DELROY LINDO.

To quote Elmore L.’s “Get Shorty” character, Bo Catlett,

“Color is what the part needs, man, somebody to do it has some style.”

Better yet : Iron Mike Tyson !

Or even : They guy who plays Carlos Danger !

8. maria says:

Ben Aflfeck will make a great Batman and he is an american, love when Hollywood picks american talent to play our comic icons!!!

9. John says:

Sorry but Ben Affliceck Is a very weak actor. Every role he is been has been very plain He is neither a leading man nor an action hero. He couldn’t even pull off daredevil! If I were to give him any career advice in Hollywood to try to legitimize himself he should play Either a gay man or a man with Mental disabilities That would insure him an Academy award. Just as a Nother week actor Sean Penn has done and benefited From.

10. Jack says:

not deserve

11. Rolly says:

He is a great choice. He has done sort of dat role before

• Nick says:

Oh yeah daredevil that was an awesome movie with a multidimensional talent that really did the character justice, said no one ever

12. octavio says:

michael fassbender

13. Ryan says:

I absolutely loved The Town. It is literally in my top 10, and he is masterful as a director, but Batman? This is very wrong. Just incomprehensible. Sad day.

14. rudy desi says:

U guys keep bashing ben affleck…hes on a roll…i think its a good choice…brings star power…and his talents. People blame the stars when a movie tanks….but dardevil sucked cuz of its story and bad script….not affleck…he has argo, good will hunting, company of men, the town..but u aholes luv gigli so much u remember that

• Nick says:

Notice the movies he directs are ok, but when he stars in them they are a disaster. Some people just belong behind the camera.

15. Bubble says:

Yeah, he can try! Does everyone think my daddy looks like Ben Affleck? HA!

16. John Davis says:

I was hoping Wes Bentley would get cast. I would have settled for Colin Farrell. At this point, I’d be willing to give Geroge Clooney another shot at it.

17. jon says:

This is the most horrifying choice ever. If this actually goes down I will not be seeing ANY DC movies tied to him as batman. Even if he’s not in it. Boycott dc! I’ll go see every marvel movie twice just to make a point

18. ARockCouldOutActBenAffleck says:

You can say “first world problems” but Batman is my religion AND THIS IS SACRILEGE!!

19. BetterBatmanThanBenAffleck says:

Do people not realize that Josh Brolin is alive? He could have been the perfect Batman and I bet there are 10-20 people who would have been better. My week is ruined.

• O.D.Humanity says:

Ha, there are 10-20 people in my neighborhood who would be a better Batman, and I live in a retirement condo…

20. Eric duwe says:

Ben Affleck had already been cast as Batman a decade ago. He was cast to replace George Clooney in the next installment. However, as “Batman and Robin” was such a badly produced movie, the studio ended up not proceeding. Affleck was asked to direct “Man of Steel” but turned it down. There are rumors that Affleck was asked to direct a Justice League movie, and that his casting as Batman sealed the deal.

21. Next thing you know batman will go blind and have to use echolocation to see his enemies but it’ll only work best when it’s raining. At least Morgan freeman should hook him up with a better walking stick. But then again Ben will probably ask him to make it vibrate too so he could use his new toy for other “Dark” pleasures. After this very good decision by Warner Brothers I expect great things to come from batman. I just hope they remake The Penguin so I can see which weapon is better, an umbrella or a walking stick. With that said I think everyone here will agree when I say Holy toledo this movie will rock!!

22. Everyone should stop being negative about Affleck playing Batman, this was the same reaction when Hathaway was cast as Catwoman, CHILL OUT ALREADY

• Rusty says:

you chill out, Ana Hathaway was a good choice for Catwoman, and a HOT one too ! But Ben Affleck if a horriable COMIC BOOK actor, tell him to stop making comic book movies !! stay in chick flicks and drama !

• Adrian says:

Yeah, and Christian Bale was an exceptional “comic book actor” before he took the Batman role. Those turns in American Psycho, Velvet Goldmine and The Machinist really formed the entire crux of his performance as the caped crusader….

I get it, you’re a comic book fan. There’s going to be some over-the-top rage whenever a casting decision isn’t “just right” or when a plot deviates from the series’ in-print canon. But you’re overreacting. Affleck’s made one comic book film. One. More than a decade ago. And he was OK in it, despite the fact that the film itself was utter wank. Bear in mind he was also making crap like Gigli at that point as well, so the decade of studying acting and directing (and, you know, actually being good in films now) should stand him in good stead.

Is he going to be a great Batman? Probably not. Are there better choices? Undoubtedly. But there are also far worse actors out there that could have been picked for this. Jim Carrey for example. Vin Diesel. Jean-Claude Van Damme. Hell, I’m surprised they didn’t put The Rock in it. He seems to be Hollywood’s go-to guy these days.

23. Ariel Rosa says:

He needs to go back and redo Dare Devil first. I can;t see him playing a mentaly torn hero straddling the lines between villan and Hero.

24. John Wolfe says:

I hope he redeems himself after Daredevil. It is going to .be very hard to fill Christian Bale’s Cape and cowl. So Ben bring your A game.

25. Omarion Saint says:

Ben Affleck is a very poor choice for this movie. He’s not believable as Batman or Bruce Wayne. His previous attempt at a super hero role in Daredevil failed miserably. The only reason he got this role is because, for some reason, he still has clout in Holleywood. Shame on Holleywood for not doing what’s best for movie fan! The Batman franchise just got a new life with Christian Bale, and Ben Affleck will ruin all of that.

26. upandcoming says:

hope he proves us wrong

27. The headline should read “Affleck chosen as the actor who will ruin the Batman franchise…”

There is already a petition at the whitehouse asking Obama to intercede and stop Affleck from being the next Batman.

28. David says:

Christian Slater did a good job in the role, its kinda like giving Wolverine to Jane Fonda, WTF!

29. Elissa says:

Not sure really, but I would of love to see Christian Slater, that me, but many approve of Ben..Good Luck Ben In The Movie….I am sure your kids are going to love watching it when its finish..But I vote on Christian…

30. Andrew says:

Somebody has to do something about this! Somebody needs to start an online petition to get Ben Affleck out and Christian Bale in for one more movie. Don’t get me wrong. Ben Affleck is a good actor, but he just doesn’t fit as a Batman…just like Clooney and Kilmer. Don’t ruin the Batman franchise after bringing it back to glory! Please!

31. Arnie Tracey says:

I’m afraid not. But I like Ben. He will not bring the hard edge. He could not even play Carlos Danger running for NYC’s mayor. Clooney flunked. And so will Ben, and the studio will squander 250 mill. to make 30 m. the hard way, as a payoff for “Argo.” Silliness. He will sink Batman’s franchise faster than Val. This is no place to redeem yourself, Ben.

n.b. Liev has the edginess, but his chubby cheeks visually soften him in that eared-rubber-cowl/hijab.

32. John says:

Hellz no! Why cant producers get this right?!
    If your going to create a film from a visual comic, be as accurate as possible! Batman is like 6’2/225+ muscular, black hair blue eyes, suave yet gritty, etc… Who has ever followed this suit I ask you. They got it right with Cavill, heck Cavill could acceptably play Batman. Please stop settling!

33. Jason says:

I liked Daredevil, but i really hate this decision. He in no way shape or form is Batman to me, nor have I ever seen him act in anything that could make me think he can pull this off. There will be no intensity. And Batman is pure intensity.

34. Kelly says:

Way to go Ben, I’m proud of you! I really think you have developed over the years, not saying you were bad before. Personally, I liked Daredevil. Don’t let these whiny, picky, judgemental people get to you. I believe in you, and think you’ll do great. Good pick Warner Brothers. I hope you don’t disappoint us with the Lex Luthor choice…Bryan Cranston.

35. Don says:

Affleck already ruined Superman in Hollywood Land playing George Reeves the 1950’s Superman. Then Affleck ruins Daredevil which I liked but I’m sadly the only one. Now he’s set to ruin Batman which is the worst casting choice since Val Kilmer and George Clooney taking over for Michael Keaton. I’m just surprised they didn’t cast either Ryan Reynolds or Chris Evans since they already play practically every Superheroe role LOL. I didn’t know they were even considering him when they posted their considerations months ago. Moviepilot had a pole and practically none of those in it were even up for consideration as well. Another fine example of Hollywood not even taking the peoples opinions into consideration and just playing it safe. I can’t even imagine him with the cowl on or even worse off playing Bruce Wayne because to many if not most we still can’t get past his face and past performances and it’s still just going to be Ben Affleck up there. It’s going to be Ben Affleck playing Batman not Batman played by Ben Affleck. I’d rather see Karl Urban or Jon Hamm, Liev Schrieber, Timothy Olyphant, Matt Bomer, Hugh Jackman, Brian Cranston or Kurt Russell as the new Batman. Playing Batman is easy put on the cowl but playing Batman and a believable Bruce Wayne, not so easy and I for one can’t imagine seeing Swingers, Good Will Hunting, The Town, Gigli and Pearl Harbor Ben Afflec, all eyes and absolutely recognizable pretty boy playing Bruce Wayne and a tough as nails grittier veteran crimefighting Batman. To me it’s just not believable.

36. Tim says:

I think what we are forgetting is that this film will be a Superman sequal and not a tie into Nolans trilogy, that series ended with a (rather lame) logical closing point, basically as if it were part of the Elseworlds titles it is set in a completely different “world” so they could not continue using Bale anyway. Of course Affleck is far from the right choice, they would be far better going with Vigo Mortinsen.

37. adam says:

All I can say is…look at how he destroyed dare devil…that was by far the worst I mean worst super hero movie of all time…. After this film…look out world we are going to have another superman and Batman because this movie is going to SUK……and I’m a big Batman fan by the way….

38. jon dunn says:

I dont think affleck is the right choice for batman he fu$*@d up DD and in reply to all those that say you dont need a well known actor to play The Bat I say cast me as the Batman

39. Jay says:

Bale was better overall. He was more scarier like the Batman that got the comic book banned back in the days. At times…you actually thought he would, kill the bad guys. Affleck is better a playing Daredevil!

40. Batman Fan says:

I barely believe he could battle a local Whole Foods store! But we’re supposed to believe he could battle SUPERMAN???

41. Bruce says:

Ben Affleck would only be a good choice if Mel Brooks were directing this movie. Him against Dark Helmet…Absolutely! But not against Superman!

42. clydee says:

PERFECT CHOICE!
    YESSSSS !

43. Viriathus says:

Bring back Michael Keaton

44. cdustman says:

Who would seriously cast this guy as a superhero again?!?! He managed to make daredevil an even lamer charater than in the comics…How can you hand him batman?! Bale’s an ass if he still won’t do it after seeing this. And for Christ’s sake, don’t let him direct a movie he would wreck just by being in it!!!

45. sanda watts says:

How ridiculous! Are these hollywood people so neurologically challenged that they cant come up w/an original idea?

46. Gary Ormsbee says:

I think Ben got a bad rap on Daredevil, and I think he will blow people away with a Nolanesque , gritty , take , on Batman.
    The man has come back from some disasters and made great movies , gritty , street level movies doing it . Give him a chance and he can deliver the depth needed for an older Bruce Wayne while still looking like he can hold his own.
    Again I say , give the man a chance !!!!

47. Cal says:

Ben is a back stabbing no talent awhole whose entire character is based off his turdblossom mouth and awhole american personality. He ruins every movie he is in. He screws the people that got him where he is at. The worst of the American – arrogant, awhole, narcissistic, selfish, self-loving, basturd. He needs to go away.

• Chad Burke says:

Affleck does not represent America in any way. He is a liberal actor surrounded by the communists in Hollywood. All you need to do is look at the box office numbers to see the discord.

48. Lee Morse says:

Casting Ben Affleck as Batman shows little imagination and feels like the studio are playing it safe. Batman really needs to have a little edge, a darker, more dangerous side. Affleck, though a good solid actor, is far from that – I find him a little too cheesy, squeaky clean.
    I had heard rumors of Ryan Gosling being in the running, that would have been interesting.

Where is the unpredictability, the menace, the loose screw? The new Batman is shaping up to be DULL!

Lost all interest in the idea now. Nodding off… zzzzzzzzz. Wait, did I just have a bad dream about Ben Affleck being cast as The Batma………… ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH,