‘Fast and Furious’ Star Paul Walker Dead at 40

Actor one of two victims of fiery single-car crash; Universal 'heartbroken' over loss

Paul Walker, star of Universal Pictures’ “Fast and the Furious” movie franchise, died Saturday after the Porsche he was riding in struck a light pole in Santa Clarita, Calif., Variety has confirmed. He was 40.

“All of us at Universal are heartbroken,” the studio said in a statement issued Saturday night. “Paul was truly one of the most beloved and respected members of our studio family for 14 years, and this loss is devastating to us, to everyone involved with the ‘Fast and Furious’ films, and to countless fans.”

SEE ALSO: ‘Fast & Furious’ Co-Stars Stunned by Actor’s Death

Walker was the passenger in a car driven by a friend, financial advisor Roger Rodas, following an event for his charity Reach Out Worldwide. Walker has business connections to Rodas’ Always Evolving Performance Motors, which is located near the crash site.

Authorities said they responded to the crash at about 3:30 p.m. PT in the 28300 block of Rye Canyon Loop in the Valencia area of Santa Clarita, and found the car engulfed in flames. The victims were pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities said that the speed of the red 2005 Porsche Carrera GT was a factor in the crash.

PHOTOS: Paul Walker’s Hollywood Career

A friend, Antonio Holmes, told the Santa Clarita Valley Signal that several people had tried to rescue the victims. “We all ran around and jumped in cars and grabbed fire extinguishers and immediately went to the vehicle. … Employees, friends of the shop. We tried. We tried. We went through fire extinguishers,” he told the paper.

Walker was scheduled to star in “Brick Mansions” for Relativity. The studio released a statement late Saturday that read: “We are shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the sudden death of Paul Walker. Paul was an incredibly talented artist, devoted philanthropist and friend.”

“Brick Mansions” producer EuropaCorp said in a statement, “All of us at EuropaCorp are deeply saddened to learn of the sudden loss of Paul Walker. We recently completed the filming of Brick Mansions with him and today, those who were lucky enough to work with him are heartbroken. He was a fantastic actor on this project as well as a wonderful team member.”

Walker appeared as LAPD detective and later FBI officer Brian O’Conner in all but one of the successful “Fast and the Furious” movies. His other credits include “Varsity Blues,” “Flags of Our Fathers,” “Running Scared” and “Takers.”

Walker was a highly sought-after leading man in action and indie dramas. Among his upcoming features awaiting release are Relativity Media’s “Brick Mansions” and “Vehicle 19.” “Hours,” a drama set in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, is due out Dec. 13 from Lionsgate’s Pantelion Films.

PHOTOS: Paul Walker’s Hollywood Career: A Timeline

A native of Glendale, Calif., Walker got his start as a youth in commercials and TV series ranging from “Charles in Charge” to “Who’s the Boss” to “The Young and the Restless.” He was a protege of famed talent agent Ed Limato, and began to make his mark in features in the late 1990s with roles in 1998’s “Pleasantville” and 1999’s “Varsity Blues” before breaking out with the first “Fast and the Furious” pic in 2001.

Most recently, Walker was in production on the seventh installment of the “Fast and Furious” franchise. The street racing franchise is Universal’s most valuable active pic franchise. Walker’s death will undoubtedly leave a significant void in the pic now in production and subsequent installments.

Among his survivors are a teenage daughter, Meadow.

1. gloria says:

it is realy sad that we lost such great talent but may he rest in peace and may God judge him wit mercy

2. Frank W says:

I thought as an actor he finally had found the maturity and comfort of inhabiting his screen personas. What a shocking loss–and after a charity event of his own makes it even sadder.

3. sofarnear says:

My thoughts go to his family and friends. Im deeply saddened by his passing. Let us stay strong for his survivors…RIP sir.

• anthony says:

rest in peace sir may you sleep in the kingdom of heaven and shine a bright star on your family for now and forever

4. Life goes to the trouble of happening, not so much that we will set out to change the world, but wind up changing ourselves…should we live long enough. The characters in the street-racing franchise FAST AND FURIOUS lived fast, yet no one wants to die young and be that so-called “good-looking corpse”. A single-car accident could have many causes; none, of course, matter now beyond the prior statement and this fact: One’s life, unlike a movie’s narrative, doesn’t just end; it stops. Paul Walker (and the driver of that vehicle) rest in peace, and may your daughter find her peace knowing the chance of your being in that car was providence–and that fate is the hunter.

5. Rebecca says:

RIP :(

6. dale chapman says:

We will miss you always RIP may God Bless You And Your Family. From Shelley @ Taylor Cameron

7. adriana says:

Rip u will be missed

8. Anita Anthony says:

RIP Paul!!! U will be greatly missed.

9. Tristan says:

Greatly saddened, hard news for everyone. Thank you Paul for sharing your talent, you will be greatly missed.

10. My Condolences to His Family especially His Daughter Meadow. He was and always be a great person on and off. I can say We all (The Viewers) enjoyed His Acting skills and put a smile on ALL OUR FACES for his Performance that he was truly blessed with.

11. Jorn says:

Very sad…
    He’ll be missed…
    My condolences to family and friends, on behalf of a big fan from Utrecht, the Netherlands

12. Yarden says:

Omg!!!! It so sad!!!!!!
    He was the best of the best…. I can’t believe ..

13. richard thorp says:

REST IN PEACE YOU WILL BE MISSED

14. bello zainab says:

Never mourned a star before except now, still saw a movie he stared in yesterday (Hours). RIP John walker. Condolence to the walker family

15. Alec says:

Paul walker was in my opinion the best actor of all time I’m not just talking about the famous fast and furious movies I’m talking about his whole life career of movies, shows, etc. Paul Walker will be missed by everyone who knew him including friends, family, and fans. My prayers go out to all of Paul Walkers family and friends. Today was a very tragic day and I am a big big big fan of Paul Walker you will be missed old friend by many. I hope you rest in the most calmest most greatest peace ever. Goodbye old friend RIP buddy

• Avi says:

Best actor of all time…Aren’t you getting a little bit carried away?

• Bruce says:

And I think your kind of cold hearted here, Avi.. And yes we all think he was a best actor.. but then again you would not understand .. cause all actors are best .. in fact better than you . RIP Paul you will be missed, sorry for the comment this Avi person put out .. And who ever Avi is .. gives me the impression that they are a defeatist,, some one that has not one ounce of respect for anyone, living or dead..

16. Ron says:

R.I.P Paul walker, prayers for your loved ones.

17. trisha says:

Its really shocked me when I heard about his death..he’s one of my fave actor especially in fast and furious. .he’s a big loss. .I love hin big time :'( crying over him.

18. Jennifer says:

The first celebrity I will be mourning for. He was one of my favorites. After Fast 7 I don’t think they should do any more sequels. It wouldn’t be the same :-( My prayers go out to his family and friends.

19. the news made me sad..RIP Paul Walker

20. Laura Chavez says:

You will be greatly missed, Paul. I will always love you very much, my baby blues. May God give strength to your family and friends.

21. Tammy Mayberry says:

I was sadden to hear about Paul Walker, (Fast & Furious) heartthrob. He is truly going to be missed. Rest in paradise Paul Walker.

22. LOVELYN LUANCIN says:

I was shocked when i saw one of my friends wall and i got curious when i saw the photo of PAUL WALKER that he shared. I am really a fan of PAUL WALKER and it made me feel sad to know that he passed away this saturday….I’m sending my condolences to his family and friends from around the world it’s devastating to loose someone like him……but PAUL WALKER you will still be living in our heart’s.WE WILL BE MISSING YOU……..(R.I.P.)

23. Laurie olson says:

what can be said , there will be such a void in so many peoples hearts .this is such an unexpected loss . God Bless Paul’s family and comfort all those who love him. and also the family of the other person who also lost their loved one.

24. Saul collazo says:

To hear this tragic new about Paul Walker isn’t fair he had a family good going career from what I hear on tv a good man as aswell he had many fans we love and will miss you Paul & to his family I’m sorry for your loss but he is watching over you now again my deepest regards

25. philipfranks says:

I’m in shock and sadden to learn of Paul Walker death. He was an amazing talent and can never be replaced. My heart goes to his family and friends. I know this news is going to be devastating to the F&F cast. R.I.P. Paul Walker.

26. Yvonne Chengwe-Pupp says:

Rest in eternal peace beautiful one. You were one of the very talented and your death is a great loss.

27. Geo Skan says:

The world has lost a true star today. Deepest condolences to his family and daughter, Meadow.

28. philipfranks says:

I’m still in shock to learned of his death. He was an outstanding talent and can never be replace. My condolences to his family and friends. I know this news is going to be devastating to the F&F cast. R.I.P. Paul.

29. Mickey says:

R.I.P. We will all miss you Paul. It was sad to see you go, but heaven just gained a new and awesome angel. You have been my role-model. I wanted to grow up and find cars, and make my own cars like you guys have made in the F&F movies. Nobody will understand how much your family, and the cast on F&F feel. I will miss and love you, but most importantly keep you in my heart forever! <3 -tear drop- :'(

30. Emmate says:

So sad to hear this news. He was, in my opinion, a truly talented, gifted, and charming actor.A true icon and a great loss to show business. I’m in shock. My true condolences and support to his family and friends, and I hope they can find the peace and comfort during these hard and difficult times. Most specially to his teenage daughter Meadow. I can’t imagine the pain she’s going through. Too sad!

31. yvette says:

It’s sad and shocking my family enjoyed watching 2fast 2furious last night. My heart goes out too his family. An actor that’ll be truly missed.

32. Vicki Trujillo says:

I’m so devastated by the loss of Paul Walker, my Heart goes out to his Family may they find the comfort and strength they need to get through their loss.

33. Mandy says:

My deepest condolences for his family. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

34. Heather says:

The world has lost a true icon. May god be with the family during this very difficult time, especially Paul’s daughter, Meadow. Our prayers are with you.

35. Luke says:

Can’t believe Paul walker isn’t with us anny more I wonder will fast and the furies go on without him ??R.I.P

36. kwibz bowa says:

rip

37. philipfranks says:

38. Bree Eallace says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to his love ones and also to the love ones of his friend. So sad to loose a wonderful person and a fabulous actor.. He will be greatly missed.

39. zarni says:

we are so sad …. RIP ..

40. ragdoll1993 says:

I was praying this was a hoax! I can’t believe Paul Walker is gone. My heartfelt sympathy to Paul’s family and friends, especially his daughte Meadow.

41. This is hard to believe! Why did this star go. Well, Rest in peace Paul

42. Carnley says:

Very very sad to hear Paul died he was a great actor in the fast and furious movies I’m a big fan of those don’t know how the next one will turn out but it will be odd not seeing him in it my greatest condolences go out to his family I’m very sorry for your loss

43. ED says:

So very sad. My condolences to his family and friends in this very trying time. Far too young to die and in such a tragic manner.

44. Kate says:

It won’t be the same without him. I’m so saddened by this news. He was a kind hearted, down to Earth man who cared about charity and helping the less fortunate. A good person gone too soon. RIP Paul.

45. Tjakko says:

Deepest condolences to Paul Walker’s family.
    RIP Paul Walker

46. jossy otieno says:

the death of paul walker hits me with great as it found watching a movie by him.
    This is a man of great charisma, a person that every mama would wish his son to b like.
    To the family, friends and the staff he worked with… My condolence.
    Rest In Peace Mr Walker

47. rence says:

RIP Paul…thx for your movies.

48. kar says:

I wonder if they’ll kill Brian in 7. :( It will be so hard to watch those movies without him.

49. Dennis says:

This is a devastating tragedy to the Fast and Furious crew. My heartfelt condolences to his family at this hardest of all times
    We will all miss you Paul Walker

50. Melody Wernli says:

This is so sad, Paul you will be truly missed! My thoughts and prayers are with your loved ones and I am so sorry that this had to happen to such a wonderful young man.