‘Now You See Me’ Sequel Materializes At Lionsgate

now you see me sequel

Surprise hit heading for $275 million

Lionsgate has started developing a sequel to surprise hit “Now You See Me,” thanks to strong international performance.

CEO Jon Feltheimer made the disclosure Friday morning during a call with analysts following the release of better-than-expected earnings for the studio’s first quarter ended June 30.

Feltheimer noted that foreign grosses for “Now You See Me,” starring Jesse Eisenberg, Morgan Freeman, Isla Fisher, Dave Franco and Mark Ruffalo, have now exceeded the domestic gross. The thriller, directed by Louis Leterrieri, has hit $255 million wordwide with the foreign total at $140 million, topping the  domestic cume of $115 million.

Feltheimer said he expects the final worldwide total to top $275 milliion. He added that “Now” has grossed $20 million in Russia and another $25 million in Latin America via Lionsgate’s IDC joint venture — generating three times the profit it would have had the studio sold the markets for mininum guarantees.

“This is a perfect example of how we’re benefiting from the unique international infrastructure of output deals, joint ventures and self-distribution we’ve set in place to maximize value and minimize risk,” Feltheimer said.

Russia is the largest international market for “Now,” followed by the U.K. at $15.5 million.

1. G. Jardoness says:

Oh Lionsgate, you ‘dodged a bullet’ financially, and hope to squeeze the last drop from it with a happy-faced press release timed with its release on consumer video. Sequel? wink-wink-nudge-nudge.

2. I understand that this movie made a lot of money, but let’s be honest, it really doesn’t need a sequel! It’s like they try to turn every movie into a money-making franchise! It’s getting ridiculous!

3. Joe Smart says:

I was really hoping that this wouldn’t happen. Sequels almost always suck, particularly when they are for movies that were clearly not designed to have sequels (Jaws 2; Beverly Hills Cop 2; Speed 2; Another 48 Hours; The Nutty Professor 2; Basic Instinct 2). The sequels almost always turn into inferior, unofficial remakes of the original film. I liked Now You See Me but I don’t see how they’re going to do a good sequel to it.

• dave says:

for every Jaws 2 theres a Terminator 2, Aliens, Godfather 2… nonsense to write this off before its even out. the existance of a sequel doenst erase the first movie, simply dont ever watch it and youve nothing to worry about. the rest of us can enjoy the further adventures of the characters..

• Joe Smart says:

I really can’t agree with your math. I would say for every Terminator 2 or Godfather 2 there are at least ten like Miss Congeniality 2 or Legally Blonde 2 or Red 2 . Most sequels are crap and only exist to take advantage of the goodwill generated by the original film. Good sequels are extremely rare. I saw Now You See Me twice–it’s a completely self-contained movie that was clearly not written with a sequel in mind. Based on the overall quality of sequels over the past 40 years I don’t see how anyone who actually goes to the movies regularly could possibly be optimistic about a Now You See Me sequel.

• Mac V says:

There are still a few unanswered or unresolved elements that remained in “Now You See Me,” so it’s probably best that a sequel to “Now You See Me” materializes promptly.

• Matthew Fortune says:

Sorry Mac V I intended to post my reply below another comment. I fully agree with you 100%

• Matthew Fortune says:

Did you see the extra scene after the credits? First time I saw the film I missed them the second time through I did and it definitely left room for a sequel and I hope if they do make one it does not turn into a flop. That being said if they make one it would have to be a departure from the first and deal with them become part of the Eye or what ever the mysterious magic group is all about. Since the first is just about them proving themselves so they can join the group.