Kentucky Derby Longshot Film ’50 To 1′ Set For Distribution (EXCLUSIVE)

Kentucky Derby Longshot Film '50 1'
Jeff Golden/Getty Images

Mine That Bird story stars Ulrich, Devane, Borel

Indie racehorse drama “50 to 1,” the saga of 2009 Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird (pictured above), has been set for a March 21 release in 260 theaters.

“50 to 1” director, producer, co-writer and racehorse owner Jim Wilson — who won a Best Picture Oscar for “Dances with Wolves” — is self-distributing the movie via his Ten Furlongs banner.

Skeet Ulrich, Christian Kane, William Devane, Todd Lowe and newcomer Madelyn Deutch star alongside Mine That Bird jockey Calvin Borel, who plays himself. Faith Conroy co-wrote the script with Wilson.

The film, shot in over 30 New Mexico locations, will have a world premiere in Albuquerque at the KiMo Theatre on March 19.

“50 to 1” centers on the New Mexico cowboy-owners of the horse who face a series of mishaps on their way to the Kentucky Derby, where Mine That Bird went off at 50-1 odds — making him the second-biggest upset winner in Derby history,

Wilson’s producing credits include “The Bodygaurd,” “Message in a Bottle,” “Swing Vote and “Wyatt Earp.” He previously directed “Head Above Water” and a documentary about jockey Laffit Pincay, Jr.

“I had been waiting for a great racehorse story for a very long time, but when I watched what unfolded at the 2009 Kentucky Derby, I was stunned,” Wilson said. “I’ve always been a fan of true underdog stories and after meeting the owners, trainer and finally Bird himself, I was hooked.”

1. Guest says:

I wonder who will play Rachel Alexandra who defeated Mine That Bird in the Preakness. Lol

2. leenzmatt says:

I can’t hardly wait for this movie. Mine That Bird is a very awesome and amazing horse ever. Mine That Bird taught me not to give up in life.

3. Beth Potkonicky Kredel says:

So excited that this movie is getting so much good press and attention. Hope the distribution will increase so that I can go to see it not too far away! March seems like forever!

4. So looking forward to seeing this movie. I’m a big and long time fan of William Devane.
    Also a huge fan of Skeet Ulrich and Christian Kane. And, who doesn’t enjoy a great ‘underdog’ story!?
    And I live in a big city, so hopefully, Toronto, Canada will be one of the 260.
    March can’t get here soon enough.

5. Laura says:

Fantastic to hear that this movie will get distributed, shame it can’t be wider but we’ll take what we can get for now. Really hope that it will get across to us in the UK as we cannot wait to see this excellent movie with it’s array of superb stars including the awesome #ChristianKane; a personal favourite of mine. Hope the audiences find him as alluring and interesting as us #Kaniacs already do. #MineThatBird should be a feel-good film for the forthcoming New Year.

6. Penny K Booker (@the_usda_girl) says:

I can’t wait to see this movie! I was lucky enough to be an extra for the Derby scenes. I can’t wait for the DVD so I can pause it and try to find myself in the crowd lol.

7. Great movie about a beautiful horse, with incredible actors Urlich,Devane and Kane, an Oscar winning director Jim Wilson. Looking forward to seeing it in March. Just in time for the new derby season.

8. I can’t wait to see this movie. Love the story, love Christian Kane, Skeet Ulrich and William Devane. And major bonus, I love Christian Kane’s music and I just found out 2 of his songs will be featured as well. Like I said, I can’t wait to see this movie. :)

9. Really excited about this film, sounds like a fantastic story especially as it’s true. So want to see #ChristianKane on the big screen! Really hoping that it makes it over to the UK, otherwise will have to wait for the DVD :0(

10. Ann Ryce says:

This movie has two of my favorites, #Christan Kane and horses, what more can you ask for!!

11. Ethel Henry says:

Wow! Can’t wait for this to hit the theaters! So looking forward to #ChristianKane in this-planning to be there opening night!!

12. Kay Lohman says:

I am so anxious for this film to come to the theaters!! Seeing #ChristianKane on the big screen is so exciting for me!! I hope it will be shown around my area in Williamsport PA. But, I will travel to see it!!

13. Very excited to learn of the release of this film, esp with such a great cast including Christian Kane and Skeet Ulrich! Love underdog movies (love horses) and with this cast, it is the perfect combination!!

14. This is wonderful news!!! I absolutely love Christian Kane and Skeet Ulrich!! They are both so talented. I cannot wait to see 50 to 1. I hope the limited release is a success so more people get to this movie as many of us do not live in big cities. #Kaniacs are here to support the movie any way we can.

15. SandyM says:

I can’t wait for this!! #ChristianKane, an amazing actor/singer, on the big screen .. read all the reviews about this movie and it sounds great. Just hope it has a showing in the Philadelphia area .. I’ll be the first one in line!!!

16. AffableWarrior says:

Fantastic news that we finally have a release date, I know that all involved worked incredibly hard to bring this tale to life. Can’t wait to see Christian Kane on the big screen – where he belongs – alongside the whole team. Hopefully it will be the start of something even bigger for this naturally talented Actor/Singer and Musician.

17. Dacsmom says:

It is wonderful that we finally have a release date. i am looking forward to seeing Christian Kane and William Devane together.

18. Mary anne Wilson says:

Excited to hear this is finally being released, its a great story, with incredible actors Urlich,Devane and Kane. Can’t wait for March.

19. Yvette Dreier says:

I am a long time Christian Kane fan and am eagerly awaiting this!!

20. leenzmatt says:

can’t hardly wait for this. Awesome casts. Christian Kane fans really waiting for this

21. Ali Kien says:

I cannot wait to see this movie, I have heard nothing but good things about it. I am a long time fan of both Christian Kane and Skeet Ulrich so it will be great to see them on the big screen again.

22. Nona Wallert says:

I am so excited to see this film! I have been a long time fan of both Christian Kane and William Devane! Please let Fargo, ND be one of the 260!

23. mentdijinn says:

Awesome!! can’t wait to see this!!! #ChristianKane is my favorite actor but really klove all the other actors as well!! very excited about this!!!

24. E. Simmons says:

Have been waiting for this movie since filming! Excited to see Christian Kane and William Devane… sadly with only 260 theaters showing it, I bet nobody even remotely close to here shows it. :(