Warner Bros. and J.K. Rowling Team Up for New ‘Harry Potter’-Themed Film Series

Warner Bros. Entertainment and J.K. Rowling are developing a new series of films inspired by Harry Potter’s Hogwarts textbook “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” and the adventures of the book’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander.

J.K. Rowling will make her screenwriting debut with “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” WB announced today. It is intended to be the first in a series of films.

The famous writer cautioned that the new series was not intended to be a “Harry Potter” sequel. “The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway,” Rowling said in a statement (see her full quote below).

The studio said “Fantastic Beasts” would be developed across the studio’s digital, consumer-products and gaming units, including links to Pottermore.com, Rowling’s digital online experience built around the Potter books.

Warner’s relationship with Rowling as part of this pact includes expanded efforts with its Harry Potter activities, including the Wizarding World of Harry Potter Theme Parks. Warner Brothers will serve as the worldwide distributor, excluding the United Kingdom, of the author’s coming TV adaptation for the BBC of her book, “The Casual Vacancy.” Production for the miniseries is slated to begin in 2014.

The relationship between the author and the studio will be managed by Neil Blair of The Blair Partnership, Rowling’s literary agent, and Josh Berger, president and managing director of Warner Brothers U.K., Ireland and Spain.

The eight “Harry Potter” movies -– which began in 2001 and concluded in 2011 –- grossed more than $7 billion worldwide for Warner Bros., making it the highest grossing film franchise of all time.

Full J.K. Rowling comment: “It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

“As I considered Warners’ proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn’t dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

“Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.

“I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.”

1. Jean L. manson says:

To all the Intellectual and prejudice detractors and raceist enveyer’s ….shove it idiots! As to the on coming film…Can’t wait! Long live (White) Harry Potter and company! I hope Rowling Makes another 7 billion to help the hungry and poor of the world…Rowling hates female characters….How stupid and unbelievable…LOL….LOL…

2. Alison says:

I’m so excited for this! The Harry Potter books and movies were a huge part of my childhood and teenage years, and being able to rediscover the magical world, and JK Rowling’s participation and instigation of its creation, makes both her and the series that much more endearing. And Jo, the Casual Vacancy and The Cuckoo’s Calling are both amazing! Thank you for continuing to write! You’ve got my young adult imagination captured too :)

3. amit tripathi says:

ma’am i have also an idea on your harry potter series. if you want i’m explain the whole idea.

4. sosaysshi says:

Reblogged this on randompurplethoughts and commented:
    Could never get enough of the Harry Potter MAGIC anyway!

5. michael heinrich says:

we want a new harry potter film or at least all the characters from the potter films

6. Ryleeroobear says:

asdfjlkl; i cant even irght now

7. occultology says:

The real WARlocks and Wizrds are in Washington D. C. George Washington was sworn in as the first “President” on Walpurgis Night, “THE WITCHES’ SABBATH” [April 30, 1789—13 Years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence; the Washington Monument stands 6,660 Inches tall; and on SEPTember 18, 2013 Mars, “THE PLANET OF WAR” is located at 13 DEGREES in Leo—the exact same celestial spot in the heavens where the SUN was located on August 6, 1945. Divide the MASS of the SUN [333,000] by the DAYS in the SOLAR YEAR [365.24] and you get 911! Attention authors & screenwriters…there’s a lot more Black Magic Sorcery in the District of Columbia.

8. Vivian says:

This should be just as interesting & exciting as the Harry Potters film series..I’m sure everyone was wondering if J.K. Rowling was going to write anymore adventure stories…I for one is so looking forward to ” Fantastic Beasts and where to Find them” I’m sure Harry Potter Fans will not be disapointed. ♡♥

9. Cindy says:

This is exciting news !!! I love the magical world and the possibilities it creates..I have been hoping and waiting for J.K. Rowling to come up with another fabulous idea to turn into great reading and now a movie..Can’t wait to see it.!! Thank you J K Rowling..

10. Heather says:

Another male-centric offering. Yawn. God forbid Rowling write about the adventures of a female protagonist. I’ve always had the feeling that the author doesn’t have much regard for her own kind and rather regrets having been born female. Even the pseudonym she used for her novel about a male detective was male.

• Josh says:

Have you ever even read one of her books?

• Josh says:

Yeah I mean she only talks about her love for Hermione, a wonderfully written, smart and strong female character who saves the day half a dozen times in the last novel alone and who Rowling makes clear that without her, neither of her male characters would pass school, let alone survive encounters with Dark Wizards.

Ignore the female characters like Professor McGongall, Molly and GInny Weasley, or Luna Lovegood. Or the fact that one of the most important aspects of the Harry Potter books resolve around the “Your mother’s love was the great magic of all”…

But yeah, she hates female characters. You got it! The male pseudonym wasn’t used to better connect the male war veteran writer with the wounded male war veteran character. It was because JK Rowling hates female characters.

• Heather says:

Your response to my comment makes absolutely no sense. I clearly used the word PROTAGONIST. All of the female characters in the Harry Potter books are SUPPORTING CHARACTERS. I’d like to see Rowling use her popularity and clout to write something that has a female protagonist for a change, but I know she won’t because she prefers to use females to prop up the all important male hero.

11. LOL says:

Sweet Jesus, has Rowling not made enough money flogging her posh white kids with wands folklore around the world already? This is just mining the same quarry for depleted gems. Have these people no shame or originality? Argh!

12. Janice Parish says:

This is a marvelous idea and a brilliant way to revitalize the imaginations of hundreds of thousands of children around the world. Thank you.