Gregg Allman Biopic Set

Gregg Allman Biopic Set

Filming planned for late summer in Georgia

Blues musician Gregg Allman’s story is coming to the big screen.

Open Road Films and Unclaimed Freight Productions’ Randall Miller and Jody Savin are producing “My Cross To Bear,” based on Allman’s 2012 autobiography of the same name, along with the duo’s music business partner Brad Rosenberg.

Miller will direct from a script he co-wrote with Savin.  Open Road Films will handle U.S. distribution of the movie.

Story will focus on Allman’s early struggles through the formation of The Allman Brothers Band, which saw massive success in the early 1970s with Allman as lead singer and keyboardist. His brother Duane, widely regarded as one of the finest blues guitarists, died in a motorcycle crash in 1971 and bassist Berry Oakley died a year later in another motorcycle accident.

Allman struggled with drugs throughout much of his life before becoming sober in the mid-1990s. He underwent a liver transplant in 2010 and continues to perform at the age of 65.

“Today Gregg Allman’s voice is better than ever,”  Savin said. “Considering what he has endured, the dark tunnels from which he has emerged, his health and his continued sublime musicianship is nothing short of miraculous.”

Savin and Miller are working  with Allman and manager Michael Lehman, who will both executive produce on the film. Filmmakers plan to use original Allman Brothers tracks in the film and re-recorded performances by the actor/musicians.

Production is planned to begin in the late summer in Georgia. Casting is under way.

The deal was negotiated on behalf of Open Road Films by Tom Ortenberg and Ben Cotner. Ben Weiss of Paradigm negotiated on behalf of the filmmakers.

Miller and Savin recently produced “CBGB,” which is being sold  in Cannes by The Exchange.

1. Gonzalo Silva G. says:

Muy buena noticia,pues, esperamos los músicos de México ver dicha película para adentrarnos en la dificil vida de los músicos de los 60s y 70s, en hora buena!!!

2. zivko grcic says:

sooo long overdue! got to meet Gregg at a book signing, the most gracious guy and looks you right in the eye…hope they do a good job on this and look forward to watching this a few times!

3. Cindy Klaine says:

Wonderful. Met him in NYC at the airport. What an inspiration for us all, after all he has endured….God Bless you Gregg Allman, and see you in Raleigh!!!!!!!

4. Jayme Correa says:

Putz, issso era tudo que eu queria. Conheço a história do Allman Brothers de cór e salteado, mas vai ser legal ver isto em forma de filme. Estou aguardando ansiosamente. Eu amo o Allman Brothers.

5. Dioanna Rosano says:

I was his girlfriend in 68-69 or one of them at least. Used to hang out with him and Duane alot .

6. Don WESTLAKE says:

Greatest band ever. Seen them 93 times and stool have my ticket Stubbs to prove it. It’s on my bucket list to meet Greg but I know now that will never happen. But I’m so happy to hear about the film. That’s great. Can’t wait

7. joanneconklin says:

I’m looking forward to this movie and wondering who will play the musicians. I, too, think that Derek Trucks would be a good one for the Gregg Allman part. Hey, call me if you need an extra!!!

8. Laurie says:

Yippee skipee, can’t wait to see this film, but in the meantime, I’ll continue to see ABB and Greg whenever I can. Tickets purchased for SPAC in August.

9. Mark King says:

excited, this is long overdue. these guy’s are like brothers to all who know or have listened to them.such an honor for Gregg and the band. this is the stuff we want to see ! god bless those who put this together and gregg hang with us to see it !

10. Louis says:

The only person to play Duane would have to be “Beck”. He looks just like him, and he plays guitar.

11. Jim Wilson says:

This has been long over due, The Allman Brothers Band is the best damn band in the land, I hope they do this movie right I can’t wait to see it.

12. Hannah says:

I can’t imagine anyone playing Greg except for Derrek Trucks that would be awesome pm

13. Paul Grabsky says:

Interested who will portray the actors in the film. In any case can’t wait to see the movie of my favorite musician and favorite band!

14. Kate says:

This is GREAT news. I loved his book and it’s honesty. I love the Allman Brothers and see them every chance I get and saw Gregg’s Angel Tour. Thanks for bringing Gregg’s book to life to the big screen. I will definitely be looking forward to its premiere. Good luck and thanks!!