‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Gets Aug. 1, 2014 Release

Fifty Shades of Grey Casting

After taking its time finding a director to helm the ship, Universal and Focus are charging full-speed ahead and giving their adaptation of “Fifty Shades of Grey” an Aug. 1, 2014 release date.

This news comes a week after the two studios named Sam Taylor-Johnson as the pic’s director after a long and thorough search. Universal and Focus also stalled in finding other elements of their adaptation of the popular E.L. James series, including lining up a writer and producers. Those jobs eventually went to Kelly Marcel and Mike De Luca and Dana Brunetti respectively.

After the news broke on Johnson directing, there was instant speculation at whether the slow pace would continue in casting the film’s two leads, but this announcement makes it clear that Universal, Focus and the creative team know what path they want this film to take.

In several interviews in the past year, U Chairman Adam Fogelson has said that the plan was never to rush out the film version and that, despite the slow pace, the film could still bow by summer 2014.

The dating also makes sense. “Fifty Shades of Grey” has a strong female fanbase and will make for good counter programing to the other films set to be released at this time:  “Jupiter Ascending” from Warner Bros.,  MGM’s “Hercules” and Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy.”

Casting is now underway and while no offers are out to any thesps at this time, sources told Variety that Johnson’s husband, “Kick-Ass 2” star Aaron Taylor-Johnson, may have been part of those early talks and may have an early edge for the part of Christian Grey.

1. MM says:

How about Jensen Ackles (‘Dean’ in Supernatural)? He is sooo hot! Deep sultry voice, great body, rugged, sexy face….total pkg! If they cast him I’d see that movie for sure!

2. LJ says:

I have read all three books, but found the first one so disturbing that I didn’t want to continue, until a friend told me that Christian does eventually work through his issues. I didn’t feel he worked through them enough, he was still very twisted at the end of the books. I must say that I have no desire to see the movie though, S&M is not something I want to see happen in front of my eyes nor in my imagination. Deeply disturbing books.

3. Debra says:

If the writer herself has a “domineering” fantasy, why is the female character the one who is dominated? I still am nonplussed at the notion that people find pain and humiliation attractive. My guess is that women who have been humiliated, dominated and hurt physically and psychologically would not touch this masochistic piece of junk with a ten-footer. Kinky is one thing, I suppose: sadism is something else entirely…or should be. I think it’s an embarrassment to women with any self-esteem and intelligence.

Sad to say, this poorly written, middle-aged-woman’s fantasy may well appeal to a wide swath of the populace who imagine excitement of this kind might make their lives less humdrum.

I do hope no one refers to this as a “romantic comedy.” Its badness might be a hoot but there’s nothing romantic about pain rooms, arrogance and cruelty.

4. Jan Chsholm says:

The lead should go to the actor portraying E.J. DiMera on Day’s Of Our Lives. He would be perfect…Check him out…

5. Kat says:

Ian Somerhalder is the hottest guy to be Chirstian Grey!!!

• Nerida says:

No way absolutely not should Aaron Taylor Johnson should play the charismatic and sultry Christian Grey. Ian Somerhalder has all the right moves to play this Sexy Man.

6. Lorraine Villines says:

I think Christian should be played by Channing Tatum and Anastasia should be played by Natalie Portman. I think it would make it the best movie!

7. Kristy says:

I hope her husband doesn’t get the part of Christian .That part needs to go to Ian Somerhalder.

8. Karine says:

Would love Matt Bomer for Christian!!! :)

9. blip says:

I can’t wait… for this piece of crap to crawl away and die. An out-and-out career-killer for any “talent” stupid enough to get involved with it.

• Lorraine Villines says:

Well you have read the series cause you use the phrase little blip! But it was a really good series and it was easy to fall for the characters. It basically is a book written by a woman who has a very sexy and domineering fantasy. Almost all women have that kinky side but is afraid to let it show. Just my opinoin

10. Diana says:

Alexis Bledel would be perfect for the female lead.

11. George Valentin says:

This movie already has the notoriety from the book, so, prospects look good at the box office.