‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ Fans Demand New Leads

Fans of “Fifty Shades of Grey” have been tied up in who will play Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele in the upcoming movie adaptation, and many were none too happy about the casting announcement made on Labor Day.

Author of the best-selling erotic series E.L. James announced on her Twitter Monday that “Sons of Anarchy” star Charlie Hunnam and “Ben and Kate’s” Dakota Johnson will play the protagonists in the movie. However, many loyalists had set sights on “White Collar’s” Matt Bomer to play the troubled billionaire and Alexis Bledel of “Gilmore Girls” fame to play Steele, and started a Change.org petition in protest of the decision, which has received more than 7,000 signatures in less than 24 hours.

“All readers believe matt is christian (sic),” reads the petition’s page. “It would be a dream to see him in the movie.”

Bomer had always been a fan favorite to play Grey, along with “Man of Steel” star Henry Cavil and “Vampire Diaries” actor Ian Somerholder.

“Matt Bomer is perfect to play this role… He’s the only Christian Grey,” one commenter wrote. “He is a great actor and he can fit the character perfectly… No Bomer No Movie.”

Several have jumped to defend the “Fifty Shades” cast, including the film’s co-producer Dana Brunetti.

“There is a lot that goes into casting that isn’t just looks,” he tweeted Monday. “Talent, availability, their desire to do it, chemistry with other actor, etc.”

This isn’t the only Change.org petition as of late to cry foul on an anticipated casting announcement. Batman fans recently started a petition against Warner Bros., calling for them to recast Batman in the upcoming “Batman vs. Superman” movie after the announcement was made that Ben Affleck would play the caped crusader. That petition has garnered more than 90,000 signatures.

The “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie is set to bow in 2014.

1. Tami says:

WITHOUT ALEXANDER SKARSGARD THIS MOVIE IS GOING TO FLOP REGARDLESS!

2. MLove says:

That’s bull, it took them a minute to find who they felt would be perfect to play these parts. I love me some Matt Homer too, but I believe they went with a good actor to play Christian and obviously the leads have great chemistry for these roles. So everyone needs to SUCK IT UP!

3. Mary says:

Why would they recast. charlie would be a great christian grey. I don’t know about dakota johnson don’t think she is right for the part and for alexis from gilmore girl I don’t think she is right for the party either. But hey just let them make the movie cause I just want to see how they do.

4. Hoothoot says:

Ya know, Charlie was never in the running in my imagination, but the more I think about it, the more perfect I think he is for this. Be hard for me not to think of him as Jax in a nice suit, but still. As for the chick, I don’t know who she is.

5. Tami says:

PLEASE DONT RECAST BAD AND GO TO WORST!!!!

6. phatnot says:

Excuse me! Considering what the average 50 crud reader looks like they have alot of nerve! Its nauseating already to Charlie Hunnam fans seeing him ruin his career with this crap. Count your blessings on this fatties.

7. Tami says:

WILL NOT SEE THIS MOVIE IF ALEXANDER SKARSGARD IS NOT CHRISTIAN GREY!!!!!

8. d says:

He is fugly as hell so is the girl.

9. racy says:

Cannot believe that sane, ordinary people are acting like nuts over casting of a movie. If I remember right, some of these same people had a fit about how bad the books were. If you don’t want to see the movie, don’t – who cares? Personally, I don’t think they could have chosen anybody better than Charlie Hunnam to do the lead. He is hot and sexy and, in my opinion, a good actor. So what’s the big deal? I liked the books and I like Charlie and said so before we knew he was picked. Suck it up and go to see the movie or don’t!!!

10. So, let’s start by saying that I have not read the book so I am not even sure I should be allowed to have an opinion on this. Having said that, for what I know about it, I understand why so many people wanted Matt Bomer (he is great, I love him) but… any “Sons of Anarchy” fan would tell you Charlie Hunnam has a unique quality by which he can be dark and morally ambiguous [to put it nicely] yet remain charming. And that seems to be what they were going for… but as I said, not a fan so I wouldn’t want to step on anyone’s thoughts… just a casual observation as a fan of both Matt and Charlie

11. I think that these people protesting such trivial things need to take a step back and think about what’s really important in their lives.

I realize that fans had their hearts set on specific actors/actresses, but has it ever occurred that the fan-favourites were the first ones asked and declined? The films producer said it perfectly–there is so much that goes into the pre-production of a film that the average person doesn’t see.

Anywho, don’t think I’ll be seeing this one, but maybe my mind will be changed with all of this hype.

12. Nine Hundred thousand signatures! wow that’s a lot of ticket sales to consider but probably doesn’t fall within the cutoff age. I never bought the book. I can wait til video no matter who stars in it. No big deal here to me

13. Frank W says:

Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh, It worked before.