‘Fast and Furious 7’ Halts Production Following Death of Paul Walker

fast and furious 6

Universal has shut down production on “Fast and Furious 7” as the studio  struggles to decide how to proceed following the death of Paul Walker.

A rep from Universal released a statement Wednesday morning saying, “Right now, all of us at Universal are dedicated to providing support to Paul’s immediate family and our extended ‘Fast & Furious’ family of cast, crew and filmmakers. At this time we feel it is our responsibility to shut down production on ‘Fast & Furious 7’ for a period of time so we can assess all options available to move forward with the franchise.”

The statement continued, “We are committed to keeping ‘Fast & Furious’ fans informed, and we will provide further information to them when we have it. Until then, we know they join us in mourning the passing of our dear friend Paul Walker.”

Walker, 40, who was a passenger in the Porsche GT, which crashed Nov. 30 in Santa Clarita, Calif., died from “traumatic” and burn injuries, while the driver Roger Rodas died from “multiple traumatic injuries,” according to the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office statement released Wednesday.

The death of Walker has left Universal in a dilemma about what to do with the newest “Fast” installment, which started production in September. The studio originally had set the release for July 11, 2014, though it’s now highly unlikely U will make that date.

If “Fast 7” moves out of the summer 2014 corridor, that could have a major impact on U parent company Comcast’s quarterly bottom line, leaving the movie studio without its key seasonal tentpole. “Fast & Furious 6,” which hits homevid shelves Dec. 10, amassed nearly $800 million globally this summer.

But Universal clearly wants to continue the franchise, for which the majority of the main cast is committed for an eighth installment, with the possibility of a ninth.

1. Adrian Thomson says:

Paul Walker was an amazing guy, will really miss him, we went to see fast&furious 7 the other day, and it is an amazing movie, very well done, and an excellent tribute to Paul walker at the end.
    Well-done to all the production team and all the cast for making another excellent movie, vin diesel is also an amazing actor in it as well, its good that Paul’s brother is going to be taking over as this will be good for the movies, and to follow his brothers footsteps.
    Really love all the fast&furious cast, they all work very hard alongside the production team to put an excellent production like this together, hope you will all continue to keep on making more fast/furious movie’s.

2. Marie-france says:

Paul Walker can not be replaced. It does not matter who you use, it will not be the same. Dont replace him!!! I got a great ideal. Cuz if anything I’m.pretty sure Paul wants us to continue the fast n furious n still be the lead!!!!??

3. Chantal says:

Actor that could replace Paul Walker?

4. olgao says:

I would like to see fast n furious 7 bt no one will be like paul walker he was the best.

5. taylor kitsch would be perfect as his younger brother or older brother

6. Quintin Williams says:

I commented on another website about bringing back D.K.from Tokyo Drift but how about this. Seeing that no one knows Brian’s dad why not introduce him into the series but he would definitely have to be able to compete with Jason Statham, Vin Diesel, Rock, and the rest of the heavy hitters in the movie. Every actor holds there own weight in their own right. Just a thought.

• Quintin Williams says:

And not the Asian D.k but Bama boy

• Quintin Williams says:

And not the Asian D.k but Bama boy. I think that would make sense considering how the movie had jumped around so much yet you’re able to keep up with the series. Let that brine your brain for marinade.

7. Anon says:

None of you would know “what Paul wanted”. You didn’t know him, and he didn’t know you. You can’t just come up with an opinion and decide that a dead actor would feel the same way. The above are facts, the next is an opinion. I think they should just stop. There are too many F&F movies already, and they’re going to burn out just like all the other movies with 10 installments (Hellraiser, anyone? Halloween? The Nightmare on Elm Street?)
    So whatever your opinion is, whether against me or not, don’t come here to insult me because I don’t care. I just don’t care enough to come back and read it. But thanks for reading this.

8. dustin hesbrook says:

My opinion the only way for the series to end the right way he does not need to be replaced he needs to die in a stunt or race honorably in the movie its the way I feel Paul would of wanted it to be…..

9. Martin Pelling says:

I’m sure Paul would want you to carry on with the film and try to write him
    out some how. My condolences to all family and friends R.I.P Paul Walker the heartache and pain is being felt by us all, Gods knows how you are all feeling.

10. FF fan says:

I think they should include all footage of Paul Walker in the seventh installment and respectfully rid of him. Paul Walker and his character Brian O’Connor can never be replace. I don’t think they should continue the franchise either, Fast and Furious will never be the same… R.I.P. Paul Walker

11. david j. says:

God bless paul..the movie will do alrigh i think poeple will want to see it more because its the last time…but paul was a big part of all them but one which wasnt all that good…i think it ran out..time to end it..the main player is gone and it suck..he can never be replaced…love too you and your family…

12. gareth says:

R.I.P paul walker :(

13. Samuel says:

Gosh can’t believe this is happening!! R.i.p to one of my best actor (Paul Walker).

14. Nella Cursio says:

My boyfriend and I have watched all of the fast and the furious movies and have enjoyed watching them all. R.I.P. Paul Walker

15. summer baugh says:

FAST FAMILY AND PRODUCERS.
    AFTER GRIEVING AND PUTTING TO REST THE AMAZING PAUL WALKER IF THE CAST AND THE WRITERS STILL WANT TO CONTINUE WITH FAST 7 WE WOULD BE THRILLED TO SEE IT. I THINK IT WOULD BE THE BIGGEST HIT OF ALL TIME. BUT IF YOU TAKE PAUL OUT OF THE MOVIE ITS GOING TO BOMB. TO US AS HIS FANS THOSE WERE THE LAST LIVING MOMENTS WE HAVE LEFT OF OUR BROTHER. SO IN HONOR OF PAUL WALKER WHY CANT HIS FAMILY HELP WITH HOW TO HONOR PAULS MEMORY FOR THIS MOVIE? ASK THEIR OPINIONS AND GET THEIR ADVICE. PAUL DID SAY HIS DAUGHTER MEADOW WAS HIS BEST PARTNER SO DONT LEAVE HER OUT. NO ONE KNOWS HIS FAMILY BETTER THAN HIM. AND I THINK FIRST HAND THEY COULD GIVE YOU THE BEST IDEAS.
    ALL THE FANS ARE PATIENTLY WAITING. WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM ONE LAST TIME.
    MAYBE IN HONOR OF PAUL HIS DAUGHTER MEADOW WOULD LIKE TO BE IN THE MOVIE. IM JUST THROWING MY OPINION ON THE TABLE. MAYBE HIS FANS COULD SEE HIM ONE LAST TIME AND PAUL BE HONORED AS WELL AS HIS FAMILY. ESPECIALLY MEADOW.

16. Julie says:

R.I.P to the family of Paul Walker and To the fast n furious family .. Paul was an awesome person gonna b missed .. I understand y ur all holdin off on the fast 7 rite now .. Gd ideal i feel u have to get things back together and help Pauls family out and get things straight to finish producing the movie .. Gd luck and GOD Bless u all .. Merry Christmas and Happy New Yr ❤️U all u r great with the movies

17. Toi Robinson says:

Rip Paul Walker I can’t believe your gone you will be truly missed you was a great actor I love watching you in fast and the furious and all of your other films 😕😂

18. Christina says:

Paul was vary good man I personally never meet him but his death hand a inpacket on me we will miss hime very much and I hope god gives strath to his friends and family thew this taff day god pleas them all and I hope they finsh the movie I am sher Paul would want it finash

19. Tara Merrill says:

Please finish the movie not now of coarse but I truly believe that Paul would want it finished. Please do not try and replace him because there could never be another Brian! My heart and prayers go out to everyone! We truly lost an Angel!

20. shane Bowles says:

Keep the franchise going for Paul Walker, he would have wanted that. Just don’t hire another actor to play Brian O’connor. Love and respect brother

21. My condolences to paul walkers family…im a hugeeee fan of that sexyyy asss driver….sadd face …tars all day .. L LOVE YOU PAUL WALKER R.I.P

22. Kim says:

My husband and I absolutely love these movies. To NOT honor him would be unthinkable. We would love to see him just once more. Take the time Universal to think of an honorable way to remove this character. Trust we WILL come to watch this movie and we will NEVER forget Paul.Agreed to replace him… insane. His character is loved so, do the right thing! FF will continue and our devotion will continue as long as you honor Paul! God Bless this man’s family and close friends.

23. vianney says:

i think dont replace paul walker n stop the movie without him it dont the same );

24. esteven says:

Don’t put Justin beiber to replace him eaither the guy from Tokyo drift should replace him R.I.P Paul walker

• SHANE says:

ifyhey put justin beiber in it would cheapen the whole franchise that would be an insult to paul walker who in yhere right mind would even think of justine bieber as an extra even but as a leading role WAKE UP

25. April says:

This is so very heartbreaking! I really hope they don’t scrap all of Pauls hard work on fast 7. I honestly think that would be disrespectful towards him. By the time this movie is able to come out things should be settled down. Even if he has to die in the movie (which would break my heart) I would rather watch him go out doing something he loved doing vs putting in some other person. He was thrilled for this movie to come out. Please don’t take it away :( I bet your ass his spirit will be there while the rest of the fast family finish it. I love you Paul Walker RIP Gorgeous!

26. Manju says:

shocked..when i got the news,it just hurts. damm god.

27. cindy ludena says:

It hurts my heart still to this day even after his tragic death that has happened almost a week ago. I can’t believe this man has left us so soon. In the upcoming movie FF7, we should live his legacy throught it. Dedicate this movie to him. God called his son too soon but we all know he is watching over all us. I’m sure if he was here an able to speak to his opinion he would tell,everyone to continue the movie and no matter what,decision the cast, crew n production decide, the movie will be a hit. To his family and friends, he is your guardian angel. Paul walker will never be forgotten. His legend will live on forever! R.I.p. Paul walker…

28. catkincaid says:

Grief lessens but does not fade away with time. I hope the actors are able to finish F&F 7
    There is a rumor on the net that they are considering shooting F&F 7 from the beginning, leaving out Paul Walkers character. I sincerely hope they do not do this. I feel it would be a slap in the face to the fans that adored him and would have a impact on future F&F films. I feel that the production team could find a way to address his untimely and tragic death in away that would pay tribute to him and to something he loved to do. And allows his character to die in a manner appropriate and in theme to the movie.

“If speed one day kills me, don’t be sad because I was smiling” – Paul Kim Walker

This quote says it all.

And it would be nice if at the end of F&F 7 the pay tribute to him with a montage of his best scenes from past films and comments from his F&F family.

This is my personal view and you may not agree with it. But I feel that a fan of Paul Walker and F&F that I and the rest of you need to speak up and maybe we will get to see a remarkable and unforgettable F&F 7 with one of our favorite characters still in it.

29. edson mutiso says:

God be with you as we also mourn the death of our superstar paul walker,we are also mourning here in kenya.

30. Freddy salvation mashala says:

Paul Walker ws my fast n furious hmslf.. I lyk da way he play da car in fast n furious in Tokyo whr dat china boi ws drvng Audi TT..PAUL Walker shwd m hw da car mv n i lyk hm vry mch cnt blv h is gone

31. Daleen says:

To lose a person we can all consider a friend is terrible. But to know that he’s life and legacy continues through people who care about him the most is the most satisfying feeling one can feel hearing the stories. Paul Walker will live on. To Paul’s immediate family and our extended Fast Furious family of cast, crew and filmmakers. Our deepest regret that one of the world’s most favorite actors and Friend had to leave us so soon. If he where to appear he would have said “Don’t try this at home” and that’s how we can honor him. Kind Regards DG

32. terry moore says:

a truly upsetting tragedy is the loss of paul walker but what better dedication to his life than to finish fast seven and dedicate it to him in his memory and the proceeds to his family and charitys,

33. Andrew says:

R.I.P Paul Walker you will be missed and my prayers go out to all the cast of fast and the furious and his family and friends if I’m Honest it’s not going to be the same with out you

34. Trann says:

R.I.P Paul walker, now you in heaven now. I will prayed to you to see if you would help me get my suspension and my turbo and couple of tires so I can go drifting again. And I will do the best I can to dedicate the event to you. And to get money and finished your mission to help other people that need help. I really want to be in the movies.

35. Jeffreys Motsi says:

I love this guy may his soul rest in peace

36. Matthew her says:

About Paul walker death, I’m knowing him ever since I was a young kids. But I never knew that he was making movie starting fast and furious. But now he had left me without a single words. What a good friend to me. We were gunna go drifting

37. pookie says:

No disrespect to Paul walker and his family BC I was and still will always be a absolute huge fan but I honestly think they should just have Paul die in the movie also nobody and I repeat NOBODY will EVER be able to take Paul Walkers place in fast and furious it would never work just for the simple fact there is no actor out there good enough to fill the roll of Brian o Conner Paul has taken that name with him into heaven rip Paul walker I love you! And you will be missed… :(

38. Lee says:

I can see Mark Walberg being in Fast 8 and if there’s a 9 as long as Vin is in cause he’s the other main guy in the movie. Universal probably is considering rework the whole Fast 7 movie writing Paul character out. As a fan would love to see him and what he film that can make sense for Fast 7, he should be part of Fast 7 on the big screen. It would suck and sad to see what he worked hard for be gone like that especially when he twitted a pic on set quoting “The boys are back, Are you ready?” unless his family don’t want to see it. Hopefully we’ll get to see what he recorded in Fast 7 dvd bonuses. But still won’t be the same without Brian O’Connor

39. Tom says:

I agree and another consideration.. Introduce Caleb Walker, Paul’s real brother to step in as his brother in the movie. This means Paul’s footage can remain, the fans retain the family aspect and the studio has a perfect fit. Most of all, Paul would love it..

40. Snicks says:

Good move. No rushing the Fast and Furious movie decisions. Paul Walker always seemed likeable. And the news about how nice a guy he was is headlines everywhere. Just seeing Tyrese breaking down and Vin Diesal saying such special things about him and others with such kind words. You gotta believe cast and crew need time, truly need time. Paul Walker was not shy about his love for fun and adrenaline. Maybe after some time, they will decide to keep making the movies, if creatively it makes sense. I personally love the movies and was looking forward to number 7. We watch and rewatch them a lot. Without Paul, would make it tougher to continue. Just to early for all to decide. My hope would be that after some time, if possible, that the franchise try to continue. Hope that Vin still wants. Complicated, for sure.

41. i wish r.i.p means return if possible i luv u paul ur soul lives on………

42. PVATL says:

‘Fast 7’ 2nd Unit crew just stopped in to say goodbye, very somber mood of course and compounds the sadness to stand chatting and listening to them speak first hand about what a fantastic and very grounded guy Paul Walker was towards anyone who approached him.

Our deepest heart felt condolences go to Paul’s family and the family of the driver, Roger Rodas.

God Bless and R.I.P.

43. LOL says:

This franchise should either stop after the next instalment or be scrapped altogether. No Walker, no Fast and Furious. Simple.

44. Bella says:

Smart move Universal studios, need adequate time to grieve, this one is hard to take in, such a beautiful man inside and out.