‘Expendables 3’: Harrison Ford in for Bruce Willis

Bruce Willis Harrison Ford Expendables #

Lionsgate planning Aug. 15, 2014 release

Harrison Ford is joining Lionsgate’s “The Expendables 3” in a surprise move while Bruce Willis departs.

Co-star Sylvester Stallone revealed the change through his Twitter account, writing “WILLIS OUT, HARRISON FORD IN !!!! GREAT NEWS !!!!! Been waiting years for this!!!!”

Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Statham, Kellan Lutz, Ronda Rousey and Victor Ortiz have also committed to the sequel, while rumored castings include Jackie Chan, Wesley Snipes, Nicolas Cage and Milla Jovovich.

Ford will not take over Willis’ role as Mr. Church.

Ford will be seen next in Relativity’s “Paranoia,” opening Aug. 16, and in Lionsgate’s “Ender’s Game,” launching Nov. 1.

Lionsgate announced in June that it had set a U.S. release date of Aug. 15, 2014, for “The Expendables 3.”  CEO Jon Feltheimer announced that Lionsgatate was aiming to start production in August.

The previous two “Expendables” ensemble actioners were released by Lionsgate in mid-August in 2010 and 2012. The first grossed $275 million worldwide and the second hit $300 million.

Willis appeared in both films as the Mr. Church character.

Stallone announced earlier this year that Australian director Patrick Hughes would direct the third film, produced by Millennium Films. Stallone directed the first film and Simon West helmed the second.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 9

Leave a Reply

9 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. olga says:

    oh boy, I can’t wait what a great cast of actors this time around, I will not miss Bruce Willis, good riddance to him and his foul mouth

  2. anas prince says:

    The part2 of this moive was a blast I love it so much…

  3. anas prince says:

    Good work bruces

  4. harry georgatos says:

    THE EXPENDABLES is a great concept for a mercenary action flick. The only problem is the writing is strictly for rednecks, gung-ho fanatics with a 10 year-old IQ. If this franchise was developed with writing and craftsmanship of Robert Aldrich’s THE DIRTY DOZEN then it would find a bigger slice of the box-office pie. The running times to the 2 EXPENDABLE movies is extremely short where THE DIRTY DOZEN ran for a satisfying 150 minutes with the first 30 minutes with character and story build-up and the last 80 minutes the film explodes into sustain, hard-hitting action. THE EXPENDABLES 3 should follow the template of THE DIRTY DOZEN.

    • As an author and filmmaker, I couldn’t agree more with your analysis (and THE DIRTY DOZEN); however, unless the movie is a highly anticipated (and hyped) production such as MAN OF STEEL, it’s unimaginable nowadays that kids 14 and under (and even bigger kids 18 and older) would sit still for a 30 minute preamble to establish character development.

      Two generations ago, a 150-minute film seemed common enough; but today it’s “give it to me quick.” However, this is no excuse for the writing to be as lazy as Bruce Willis is accused of being. Stallone has had the time to give the scenario the artful attention any movie should be given, knowing the collaborative talent and financial stakes involved.

      • harry georgatos says:

        What you say is mostly correct. Todays youth have short attention span and want movies to move at a furious pace with quick cuts as to not get bored. I still think with a director such as Tarantino could easily make a 150 minute film of THE EXPENDABLES to a similar template as THE DIRTY DOZEN. Look at Tarantino’s last two films DJANGO UNCHAINED{164MINUTES} and INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS{153MINUTES} that bares a resemblance to what a great EXPENDABLES movie could be under Tarantino! Tarantino’s love of pop-culture genre films could make a substantial movie out of THE EXPENDABLES that would exceed the box office of the previous two films. BASTERDS did over $380million and DJANGO did over $400million which exceeds the box office of the current two EXPENDABLES movies. Tarantino will establish character and story leading into sustain action in the second half. It can be done and should be done.

      • Joe Smart says:

        I think both of you guys are completely missing the point of The Expendables movies. Sylvester Stallone isn’t trying to make The Dirty Dozen. He isn’t even trying to make an A-pic–he’s delivering modern versions of the kinds of meat and potatoes action pictures that Canon used to churn out in the 1980’s. I think if you’re going to criticize a movie it should be based on what it’s trying to do, not what you want it to be.

  5. Joe Smart says:

    For a movie that’s supposed to start shooting this month the casting seems awfully up in the air. Don’t they usually figure out who’s going to be in a movie before they start shooting it?

More Film News from Variety

Loading