‘Ender’s Game’ Author Rejects Gay Geek Boycott of Film

'Ender's Game' Author Orson Scott Card

Orson Scott Card says his opinion is 'moot' after Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage

Orson Scott Card has brushed off a proposed boycott of the upcoming Lionsgate movie “Ender’s Game,” asserting that his opposition to same-sex marriage has been rendered “moot” by the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling.

The Geeks.out organization had launched the “Skip Ender’s Game” boycott over the weekend due to Card — author of the science-fiction novel — of being an anti-gay activist and board member of the National Organization for Marriage.

“However much you may have admired his books, keep your money out of Orson Scott Card’s pockets,” the organization said.

Card issued a statement to Entertainment Weekly on Monday, asserting: “‘Ender’s Game’ is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984. With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot. The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state.”

Lionsgate will release the film, starring Asa Butterfield and Harrison Ford, on Nov. 1.

“Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute,” Card said.

1. The particular reason that Orson Scott Card is being “singled out” is because he has made a CONCERTED EFFORT to obstruct Gay Rights. He is a member of the board of the National Organization for Marriage, (an anti-gay rights organization,) he has appeared on TV and in print stating that the Gay lifestyle is “perverted” and various other slurs. You are asking why we are not supporting his movie or buying his books??? I think that is a ridiculous viewpoint. Why SHOULD we support this man’s efforts in ANYTHING???

I can understand Lionsgate’s irritation with this situation. It is unfortunate that they have associated themselves this man. Perhaps in the future, they will think again before offering a lucrative business opportunity to a man who is not only a bigot, but ACTIVELY WORKS AGAINST the rights of a minority.

2. Brian says:

Unless the Supreme Court changed your opinion, Mr. Card, I do still think a boycott is still in order. After all, I wouldn’t knowingly put my money in the hands of someone belonging to any other hate organization, so why should you be any different?

3. steve says:

How can I possibly go see this movie knowing he’s a hate filled Republican bigot? Will this guy’s hatred rub off on me?

4. Graham Cracker Boy says:

I am going to see this movie, great book, I hope the movie does not disappoint.

5. Pete Moss says:

I think a lot people are missing the point.

The big problem isn’t his views, its that you are inadvertently funding anti-gay organizations. That’s the point the protesters are trying to raise.

Many people are anti-gay, even some celebrities, but they don’t use the money they make to help fund things that could be considered a hate group. So anything that makes Card money can be seen as a way of funding those groups.

Personally you got to laugh at Card calling out others for being intolerant. I wonder if the irony is lost on him.

All that being said, if you like the books or want to see the movie, go ahead. What do you care if people are boycotting? You aren’t going to change their minds any quicker than they are going to change yours.

6. Amanda says:

My issue with all of this is that, although Card’s views are discriminating and against many people’s rights, they are simply that: views. He has just as much right as any other person to have an opinion and, through free speech, the right to voice said opinion. No one has to agree with his opinion. The way in which he is being treated because of his stance is no better than the way in which the LGBT community has been treated and many are fighting to end. Sadly, when one believes so strongly in one’s own cause, one can lose sight of what he/she is doing to another person. Sometimes, we become the very person we are trying to fight against. If it matters to you not to see his film or buy his content in order to remove the money from his hands, then don’t see the film or purchase the content. Being cruel to Card is another thing entirely in my opinion.

• Frankie D. says:

“they are simply that: views” Except for where he uses the money from the film to fund hate groups and fight to deny people rights…

• Amanda says:

According to his interview, his stance on this particular issue is moot. Therefore, where would that money go? I’m not sure how many other “hate groups” he’s currently funding, but I’ve not heard of any more.

7. Fiona Alwyn says:

I have no desire to allow my money to go into the pocket of anyone who has or still is fighting against my rights. Orson Scott Card has in the recent past been virulently anti-LGBT, joining the board of NOM and pouring money into that organization to fight marriage equality. As far as I know, he is still on the board and still giving money to fight against equality. He has made statements in the past not only stating his hatred of gays and marriage equality but openly claiming his desire to overthrow any government that allows equality for LGBTs. His statement now asking for our tolerance towards him and his movie does nothing to make me think his feelings for LGBTs have changed at all. If anything , he sounds scared and petulant, very much like a bully suddenly cornered and surrounded by his past victims. I will not go see this movie. I will also never buy any of his books. I will do my best to see that not a penny of my money will ever go to help Card and his bigoted ways. I may be only one person and he will probably never know or miss my few dollars, but at least I will be able to be proud of myself for standing up to a bully like Card.

8. w629 says:

Calling for a film boycott because the author has made reprehensible and ignorant comments will have zero impact. Here’s why: When a book becomes a film, the author is usually paid a flat sum for the rights. It’s unlikely Card has profit participation; therefore boycotting the film will do nothing. If audiences who haven’t bought the book do so after seeing the film, that is the one and only area where Card would be financially affected.

• Kevin Foster says:

It will teach the producers and the investors, and the production company a valuable lesson.

• Fiona Alwyn says:

If the movie is a success he could greatly profit from future deals to make other movies from his books. That could be a huge future money-making feature for him. Make no mistake, if this movie is a hit, even if he doesn’t have profit participation, he stands to win big in possible future endeavors. If it is a flop, his future in the movie making business may not be so bright.

9. At the intersection of Art and Commerce has always been Politics. (Protest) And it always will be.

10. thomas mc says:

Wow. He’s completely intollerant of those who only want equal rights, then demands tollerance for himself for being a bigot. What a freaking hypocrite. I certainly hope his career is OVER.

11. James says:

History will always show the ignorance of some people’s social position. By goin or not going will not effect this guys position on gay marriage nor will it effect the overall case of equality now that the decision has been made constitutional. Without SCOTUS decision I might have agreed to boycot the film but sometimes we need to show tolerance towards minority views. History will show his views as ignorant and let that be te judge

12. Mathew says:

It’s always been funny to me that someone who ended up being so vocal against the gay lifestyle also wrote one of the most epic books about prepubescent boys wrestling in the shower.

13. Joe says:

Let’s just hoped he’s getting paid points on net.

14. OSC is of the mind that actively contributing funds to organizations that are dedicated to keeping citizens second class is the same as having a differing belief or opinion. It isn’t. Additionally, he has committed himself to nothing less than treason, apparently, so dedicated is he to opposing the rights of others. His snide, self-pitying challenge to those who supported equality to show tolerance for his b.s. is completely repugnant, and he clearly has no sense of self awareness or respect for the people he tried to hard to oppress.

15. Card’s opinion was moot BEFORE the SCOTUS decision, too.

I’m not planning on seeing the movie mostly because the book was not very good.

16. TOLERANCE? No one ever told Orson Scott Card that he wasn’t allow to marry the person HE loved!

17. Kevin Foster says:

“Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.” — Orson Scott Card

If we take Mr. Card at his word, then he is now a sworn enemy of America working to destroy this country we hold so dear.

• Mitch Smith says:

Don’t be dramatic. A man has a right to further his personal beliefs. Just because he is insulted that marriage is no longer solely a conservative institution does not mean he equates that with the intentional persecution of homosexuals. Everyone should have the same rights under the constitution, but that also means everyone has a right to actively contribute and pursue their own opinions. Tolerance is not forcing everyone to be quiet about their belief; it’s about everyone agreeing to live and work together in sore of our different beliefs and the commitment to work through the inevitable confrontations together so that we might live peaceably together.

• Kevin Foster says:

I wasn’t being dramatic, I simply restated Mr. Card’s own statement. That he’s an enemy of America is HIS claim. That he wishes to destroy America is HIS claim. I think you need to contact Mr. Card regarding issues of drama and tolerance, not me.