Ellen DeGeneres To Host Oscars

Talkshow host returns for second Oscar tour

And the next host of the Academy Awards is … Ellen DeGeneres.

It will be DeGeneres’ second tour of duty as Oscar host, having previously emceed the 79th annual Academy Awards in 2007 and earning an Emmy nomination. The popular syndicated talkshow host also fronted the Emmys in 2001 and 2005 (co-hosting them in 2003).

“I am so excited to be hosting the Oscars for the second time,” DeGeneres said, joking that “you know what they say – the third time’s the charm.”

The 86th annual Academy Awards, which will take place March 2, are being exec produced for the second year in a row by Craig Zadan and Neil Meron.

“We are thrilled to have Ellen DeGeneres host the Oscars,” said Zadan and Meron jointly. “As a longtime friend, we had always hoped to find a project for us to do together and nothing could be more exciting than teaming up to do the Oscars. There are few stars today who have Ellen’s gift for comedy, with her great warmth and humanity. She is beloved everywhere and we expect that the audience at the Dolby Theatre, and in homes around the globe, will be as excited by this news as we are.”

SEE ALSO: Ellen DeGeneres Has Proven To Boost Award Show Ratings

Though DeGeneres has had extensive experience in television and some in film as well (perhaps most notably as the voice of Dory in “Finding Nemo”), her prime focus currently is hosting “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” – and as such is the first person who is primarily a daytime talk personality ever to host the Oscars. The last host who wasn’t first and foremost an actor was Jon Stewart in 2007.

The news comes three days after Cheryl Boone Isaacs was elected president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences.

“I agreed with Craig and Neil immediately that Ellen is the ideal host for this year’s show,” said Boone Isaacs. “We’re looking forward to an entertaining, engaging and fun show.”

Added Academy CEO Dawn Hudson: “Ellen is talented, wonderfully spontaneous, and knows how to entertain a worldwide audience. She’s a big fan of the Oscars; we’re huge fans of hers. It’s a perfect match.”

“The Ellen DeGeneres Show” has won 45 Daytime Emmys during its 10 seasons. Though DeGeneres’ show airs on NBC owned-and-operated stations, she has a history with Oscar broadcaster ABC, with her landmark sitcom “Ellen” having run there from 1994-98. In 1997, DeGeneres won the Peabody Award and a writing Emmy for the episode in which her character came out as a gay woman, with 46 million viewers watching.

“It is an honor to welcome back Ellen DeGeneres as the host of the biggest entertainment celebration of the year,” said ABC Entertainment Group prexy Paul Lee. “She is the consummate entertainer, equally beloved by her peers in the industry, movie fans and television viewers. We very much look forward to having her back on ABC for Oscar Sunday.”

Over the last eight years, the 2007 Oscars hosted by DeGeneres stands as the top rated in both adults 18-49 (14.1 rating/33 share) and women 25-54 (19.2/40).

1. sarah aimen says:

I love Ellen Degeneres becase she is so funny and I love portia de rossi and Ellen degeneres and portia de rossi is so beauty full ladyies so I got a letter from someone name Ellen degeneres on my 14th brithday so now I am 15 years old so I love high school thankyou from sarah aimen

2. The Kingslayer says:

People actually liked her first time hosting th Oscars? it was pretty dull.

3. Tanna Kendrick says:

I was thrilled to learn Ellen was hosting the Oscars. She is incredibly funny & has gotten me thru some really rough times. Can’t wait until March to see what she does. Last time she was awesome. Who doesn’t live Ellen.

4. Ellen DeGenerate Her’s not Funny & has NO CONNECTION with movies

5. Jaime Lopez says:

She/He is going to have a total audience of Rossie O’Donnell and the San Francisco community nothing less.

6. TripHappy says:

I wish her luck, but do not agree with the choice. And while I could not be convinced that her homosexuality was not viewed as a positive factor in choosing her, it should not be a reason to make nasty comments about her in this trade publication. The industry will just continue to assume that these malcontents are a minority of the population.

7. Veronique says:

Oh! Stop all yr bible nonsense,let’s live not a lesbian,but stop being holier than thou! We’re sinners one way or the other! Stop using the bible,let ppl who want to be happy! Life’s too short for all the nonsense, she doesn’t make our life miserable,on the contrary,enjoy her show!

8. Harack Bohama says:

More effective than ipecac syrup….

9. Rico says:

Obama wasn’t available?

10. Pauly Cobb says:

Ellen is great for womans suffrage and civil rights for white women too…she should run for senate like palin or pelosi even…i think she is funny too

11. Thomas says:

The Red States will be going to bed early. Oh Yawn, I’m tired already. Ellen De gener-whatever. sigh. Another political pile.

12. I farted on obama says:

she/he is fugly

13. Smedley Metcalf says:

AKA Ellen Degenerate

14. The Rev Al says:

The media is excited. They love all things gay.

15. i suppose if you salivate to read the NY TImes and or the Washington Post, you would find her entertaining. I find her humor at best limited to the liberal elite of the NE and San Fran. But to be candid, I dont find the Oscars entertaining since Marlon Brando decided his opinion, as an individual, was worthy of his media following. Can you hear me Sean Penn and George Clooney?

16. DRUDGECOMMENTLOVER says:

I love love love when Drudge links an article. Such predictable idiotic comments from the crazy people. And ironic on this article, since your source here, Matt Drudge, is gay.

• Pauly Cobb says:

tell me who is crazy?…those who voted for a man who targeted conservatives because of their beliefs…or those who didnt?…i love love love your idiotic, progressive, prius driving, occupy anything for free, lazy, attitude..baaaarf…BANG!

• Jeff says:

Our source is this article moron. Drudge simply links to it.

17. She’s better looking than Madonna and probably has a better looking wife than most of the people spewing all the vitriol at her. Lol

18. StandingO says:

Yuck! One more reason not to watch.

19. ESAD says:

Thanks for the warning.

20. Mark says:

I have nothing against Ellen nor gay folks. I admired Ellen in the past, because she could deliver a decent comedy performance without profanity. That is uncommon in most comedy acts, which are full of sleaze and f-bombs. She was a decent performer, not amazing, but decent. Now the focus is on her being a professional gay. She is not a comedian anymore. She is a gay. They use her to promote the gay agenda in the media until everyone is sick. I believe in tolerance…but I don’t want to here “gay gay gay” every 15 seconds. Yes, we get it. No one wants to here about it anymore though. Hollywood is suffering in the box office because they keep shoving offensive agendas down our throats.

• Exactly!! The reason why she was chosen is what irritates me. The networks are in overkill with all things gay and all bosses must be black. It shows how shallow they are. 5% of the country is most likely gay and 13% are black yet to watch the commercials and TV shows you would believe they are at least 50% of the population.

• Winchester says:

SeaChange you are so right on this. All the bosses, doctors, lawyers, judges in commercials are black. All the buffoons are white males. If you read the novel Under the Dome, there was no Lesbian couple, no gays at all in the novel. Our entire culture is being changed for fewer than 25% of the population. Why?

• Michael says:

Mark, you are spot on. Hollywood has increasingly ceased to be an entertainment medium, but rather a socio-political action machine. The numbers suggest that a lot of folks will not spend their entertainment budgets or time listening to entertainer’s opinions or spin of events. With so many options, much of Hollywood is heading the way of the Brontosaurus!

21. Buckowheat says:

So which channel is rerunning the three stoges that night?

22. aswmbo says:

Oh, yawn….!
    Doesn’t really matter to me who they get to MC…the Oscars are boring. Just a bunch of Hollywood political blowhards rewarding each other.

23. anontdh says:

**** HAPPENS!

24. anontdh says:

WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY

Timothy 1:10
The law is for people who are sexually immoral, or who practice homosexuality, or are slave traders, liars, promise breakers, or who do anything else that contradicts the wholesome teaching
1 Timothy 1:9-11 (in Context) 1 Timothy 1 (Whole Chapter)

1 Corinthians 6:9 Don’t you know that unrighteous people will have no share in the Kingdom of God? Don’t delude yourselves — people who engage in sex before marriage, who worship idols, who engage in sex after marriage with someone other than their spouse, who engage in active or passive homosexuality,
1 Corinthians 6:8-10 (in Context) 1 Corinthians 6 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Leviticus 18:22 “Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin.
Leviticus 18:21-23 (in Context) Leviticus 18 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Leviticus 20:13 “If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense.
Leviticus 20:12-14 (in Context) Leviticus 20 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Revelation 22:15 Outside are the homosexuals, those involved with the occult and with drugs, the sexually immoral, murderers, idol-worshippers, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.
Revelation 22:14-16 (in Context) Revelation 22 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Deuteronomy 23:18 “No woman of Isra’el is to engage in ritual prostitution, and no man of Isra’el is to engage in ritual homosexual prostitution.
Deuteronomy 23:17-19 (in Context) Deuteronomy 23 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

Deuteronomy 23:19 Nothing earned through heterosexual or homosexual prostitution is to be brought into the house of Adonai your God in fulfillment of any vow, for both of these are abhorrent to Adonai your God.
Deuteronomy 23:18-20 (in Context) Deuteronomy 23 (Whole Chapter) Other Translations

• Cody says:

IN REALITY!

Deuteronomy 23:18 You must not bring the earnings of a female prostitute or of a male prostitute into the house of the Lord your God to pay any vow, because the Lord your God detests them both.

Deuteronomy 23:19 Do not charge a fellow Israelite interest, whether on money or food or anything else that may earn interest.

Revelation 22:15 Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and the sexually immoral and murderers and idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

And considering you are practicing FALSEHOODS by misquoting the BIBLE verse you are a SINNER!!

25. George Williams says:

Just another gay ole night in Hollywierd. One more reason, other than the list of terrible films in the running, to not tune in.

26. Seeker Matt says:

she’s terminallu unfunny.
    remind me not to watch.

27. Fred says:

Must be getting bad when that’s all they can get and worse if that’s what they want…my god they should maybe reconstitute cher and use her…it’s that bad!

28. Ellen is OK. Billy Crystal and the others were OK. None will ever have the presence Johnny Carson had, but someone has to do it. Try out Emo Phillips, the King of the paraprosdokian.

29. Anne Crane says:

YAY!!!

30. Zcat says:

Congratulation! I like Ellen DeGeneres and think she’ll be great!

31. I’m a Republican. I like Ellen, but rarely watch Oscars, prefer foreign movies or old movies via Netflix over current Hollywood CGI nonsense. And I avoid any film with certain actors whose claim to fame is their ability to insult Republicans.

32. Della says:

I love Ellen and I think she’ll do a great job. And all these nasty comments are ridiculous. Noone cares if you don’t like her because she is a lesbian. I happen to be conservative-leaning but I really enjoy watching her shows. I still love Ellen’s Energy Adventure in Epcot, I think she’s a riot.

33. ImJustAGuy says:

Wanna know who’s coming off a the biggest narcissist these days? Beyoncé! It’s repulsive. She postures herself as some sort of goddess. And her fans treat her that way. They worship her! Literally!

34. mary swisher says:

I never watch the Oscars because I’m just not interested and seldom see movies. But next year I will definitely watch, just because I love Ellen!

• Deb says:

Ditto with me. Ellen has the best timing in her delivery. She is extremely talented and funny. Shame on the shills for their insults. Ellen is kind-hearted and never insults anyone.

• Alice says:

Ellen kisses the butts of celebrities and the powers that be in Hollywood, but she has a bad rep for ruthlessness and selfishness in terms of treatment of staff. She is a polarizing figure and there is nothing wrong with that. She would like to stifle criticism and silence whistleblowers, but she cannot and neither can her fans.

35. Winchester says:

Not interested in seeing the movies. Not interested in watching the rewards. Ellen is mildly amusing at her best.

36. Craig says:

Snooze-fest. McFarlane was interesting but offensive. Ellen is boring but offensive. Lose-lose.

37. Fran says says:

Thank God finally someone that will do a great job. Congratulations Ellen can’t wait to see you. You are terrific.

38. Fiala says:

Are the Oscars even relevant anymore? I think Ellen is a good choice, but then I never watch the show anyway.

39. Texasbil says:

Nobody watches anyway, kind of like CBS news or MSNBC news.

40. All politics aside, Ellen is a great entertainer. I look forward to the highlights because I can’t sit through any awards show. But Ellen is terrific!

41. gamgls says:

I don’t understand why people think she is funny.

42. Jamescottle says:

I enjoy her humor.
    As for the awards show, who cares. Stopped watching these dysfunctional
    lost individuals long ago.

43. BeBe BooRay says:

Perfect choice for Hollywood. She should have been asked before.

44. It bothers me that you do not respect the opinions of those that differ from yours. Some people accept this lifestyle, most don’t, no need to demonize those who don’t share your opinion.

• Reverend Ken says:

Then stop all the indoctrination.

• justsaying says:

I respect opinions of all shapes and sizes when they are delivered with grace and intellect. Please evaluate the comments below —and tell me where “respect” has come into play on their end?

You prefer that I handle my comments respectfully, but it’s okay for you and yours to spout words of disdain, scorn, and disgust? Those three words are legitimate antonyms for the word ‘respect’, by the way. They are also synonymous with the word ‘hate’—which is why I very rightfully called them ‘hateful’.

I don’t hate you, nor do I hate any of the other commenters whose opinions I vehemently disagree with. I just think you’re wrong: I think your approach is wrong, I think your intentions are wrong, and it bothers me that you hold such a double-standard for debate.

45. suzita says:

Guarantees this conservative female who is still evolving on gay marriage and probably won’t “get there” will watch the Oscars again! I love Ellen, period.

46. Hollywood Royalty says:

Dear Savannah B,

We in hollywood DO understand that YOU don’t like our awful movies and narcissistic awards programs. But we couldn’t care less, because we have more money than you could ever count. And we’re pretty. And we have really nice houses. And we have good families. And we have gays who dress us in beautiful clothes and provide us with really beautiful parties. And we swim in our infinity pools. And we bbq with our neighbors on the beach. And we eat delicious food. And we love the environment. And we support charities. And we don’t care at all what sad, pathetic, DISGUSTING human beings like you have to say, because you could never hope to even breathe the air near someone as amazing as Ellen.

You’re welcome,
    Hollywood

47. Dave says:

You could say the same thing about Rush Limbaugh. Except for the ‘great’ part.

48. Dave says:

More like those who are talented & prove successful (cultivating a broad fan base & earning high ratings) are rewarded with the respect of their industry. In this case, successful entertainers & media personalities are rewarded with high-profile opportunities for performance & showmanship.

How sad that someone’s sexual orientation even matters in anyone’s choice about what kind of entertainment content to support. How sadder still for any young people looking to people as narrow-minded as you for moral guidance & leadership. I hope this comment is as much influence on the world as you’ve had today.

49. thesnipe says:

I love it when Drudge links to a story and all the hate-mongers come out. They’re so funny, typing from their parents’ basements, drinking Diet Dr. Pepper, and telling themselves it’s Obama’s fault that they’ve gotten nowhere in life.

Newsflash: Ellen/”the gays”/Obama/the media are not the reason that your life sucks. Your life actually sucks because you hate everything.