Disney Developing ‘Artemis Fowl’ Movie with Harvey Weinstein

Artemis Fowl Movie Disney

Weinstein first got the rights to the book series in 2000

The Walt Disney Studios is developing a movie based on Eoin Colfer’s series of “Artemis Fowl” books that Harvey Weinstein will produce. “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix”-scribe Michael Goldenberg will write the screenplay.

The books revolve around Fowl, a 12-year-old who is a millionaire, a genius and criminal mastermind. Disney said the live action feature will be based on the first and second installments of Colfer’s books, published by Disney Publishing Worldwide, in which Fowl kidnaps a dangerous fairy in order to save his family.

Weinstein has been working on a bigscreen version of “Artemis Fowl” since 2000, when he initially locked down the film rights to the novels with Tribeca Prods.

SEE ALSO: Miramax, Tribeca cry ‘Fowl’

Robert DeNiro and Jane Rosenthal will executive produce the project.

“If you would have told me five years ago I would be producing a project with Disney I would have thought you were crazy,” said Weinstein, co-chairman of the Weinstein Co. “I feel as though everything is coming full circle considering Bob DeNiro and Jane Rosenthal brought me this book while I was still at Miramax and within hours I told them I wanted the rights to the film.”

Disney sold its stake in Miramax Films, founded by Weinstein and his brother Bob in 2010 to a group of private investors led by Ron Tutor and Colony Capital for around $660 million. Disney purchased the independent label from the brothers in 1993. The Weinsteins had hoped to buy back the company named after their parents but lost out to deeper-pocketed bidders. They founded the Weinstein Co. in 2005.

“Artemis Fowl” reunites Weinstein with Walt Disney Studios chief Alan Horn, with whom he worked on “The Aviator,” “Starsky and Hutch” and the animated “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” movie.

“It is also exciting to partner with friends Alan Bergman, Sean Bailey and of course Bob Iger who has been incredibly generous to me over the years,” Weinstein said. “This is a special project for me because my children absolutely love this book. This story is for everyone and there is no one better than Disney to make a film that will excite people young and old.”

“Artemis Fowl’s” “balance of mystery, adventure and family appeal” makes the books “a natural fit for Disney,” according to Sean Bailey, president, Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Production. “We’re looking forward to collaborating with Harvey on this exciting project.”

The “Artemis Fowl” books have sold more than 21 million copies in print in 44 languages worldwide.

1. Korrin Sashito says:

If this is real (and I certainly hope that it is), then I swear I’ll be the happiest 13 year old on the planet.

2. Launa Langley says:

The movie will be amazing…. IF you stick to the book…. so many fans will be enraged if you don’t.

3. These are a few ideas for the cast: For Artemis: Chandler Canterbury, For Butler: Steve Austin, For Holly: Carey Mulligan and for Foaley: Lamorne Morris
    PLEASE STICK TO THE BOOK AS POSSIBLE!! PLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE!!!

4. Ramona Teemal says:

i hope they cast it right and don’t mess the story line up

5. Bobby Samuel says:

Loved every part of the news except the part about who’s writing the script. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was the worst movie in the series. They spent more time coming up with their own stuff rather than using what happened in the book. Seriously, it’s probably the best book too. Practically written as a movie. Please don’t screw up Artemis Fowl. Love this series and have read through it about 5 times. Make it live action, not animated

6. Tea Kay says:

Let sir Colfer put in his two cents here and there, and for the love of god don’t let M. Night Shmuckalon anywhere near Arty and Co. I already lost one beloved series to that serial killer DX

7. Crepusclo says:

Oh god….Disney…please do this series justice *cries*

8. Cole says:

I don’t know… I don’t think that Disney would be able to portray the real butler since some of the things he does are pretty violent and disney hasn’t been known for there action films

9. CompGen says:

cant W8t

10. Daniel says:

I literally jumped for joy when I saw this on Facebook. If this isn’t done well there will be hell to pay :| but either way I’m gonna watch it about a hundred million times ;)

11. Bec says:

FINALLY IT’S HAPPENING!~ Although if they make this as bad as Eragon was made I will not be amused…..

• Temperance-Tucker says:

The movie Eragon was really not that bad with very good actors and very good performances but it did stray too far from the book which had its own problems. The Eragon trilogy although thoroughly enjoyable had rough edges indicative of new author (dead ends, superfluous characters, unnecessary transitions, etc.).

12. skittlesttr75 says:

Oh yeah! I forgot the major f-up with Eragon!

13. skittlesttr75 says:

It’s about time! I’m an adult but this is still one of my favorite series that I reread every year. Don’t screw this up like the first Percy Jackson!

14. Yelonda says:

I have read all the books and can’t edit to see them on the big screen, what is the expected release date?

15. Emma says:

i am begging you to DO THIS RIGHT!! make it like the books!
    why do you think harry potter was soo awesome?
    cause the books were awesome!!
    follow the books!!! its as simple as that!
    and to all you enemies of literature do not make 2 books into
    one movie! why do you think the author made them into 2 books
    in the first place? please. i love artemis fowl. dont ruin it for all the
    people who havnt actually read the books. make them want to read it.

16. Tiffany Molda says:

I agree with Andrew Jones. One thing I have found about movies made out of books lack key part and details that would have made the movie amazing. The Twilight Saga movies stuck closer and closer to the books with each movie released. I thought the movie Eragon very disappointing when comparing it to the book. So some word of advice from a fan of the series: stick as close to the book as you can. The more successful the book, the movie, depending on how close to the book it is, is sure to be just as successful.

• You are totally right Tiffany. I believe that you can make a great movie based on a book, if you stick to the book as much as you can, I know it’s not easy to put every single detail, but something as simple as the eye color (for example, Harry Potter’s bottle green eyes) can make a huge difference. The little things that make you remember the book in simple ways, are the things that should (MUST) be on the movie

• Andrew Jones says:

yeah dont pull a percy jackson on us

• izzypure says:

Omigod, yes y’all! I almost cried during Percy Jackson. What the HADES were they talking about? Those weird glowing balls and brunette Annabeth. Ugh.
        Dragonsfate- yes, yes, yes. Eragon SUCKED! I mean, horrible casting, script, and so far from the book…*tear*

• dragonsfate says:

I think you mean don’t pull an Eragon on us. man that one broke me D=

17. Andrew Jones says:

dont fuck it up pls

18. Serena says:

We loved this series so much we named our son after him. Hope Disney does a good job!

19. Frankipoo says:

Im really excited. ive been waiting for years. I think combining the first two books will work well. once they rescue the father, go on…
    I hope it does well.

20. Anna says:

I want to be excited but they’re mixing two books into one movie… that means they aren’t doing the entire series, just the one movie, and it’s going to be bad because you just CAN’T mix two books into one movie. It never works. I don’t understand why Hollywood insists on continuing to do that.

21. Andrew Taraba says: