Christopher Evan Welch, Actor on Stage and Screen, Dies in L.A.

Christopher-Evan-Welch
Jim Spellman/WireImage

Christopher Evan Welch, who appeared onstage in numerous plays, in films including Steven Spielberg’s “War of the Worlds” and “Lincoln,” Paul Thomas Anderson’s “The Master” and Woody Allen’s “Vicky Cristina Barcelona,” as well as on television, died early Monday at a Los Angeles hospital, his agency Paradigm confirmed. He was 48 and had been suffering from lung cancer for several years.

The actor had been in L.A. shooting a role in the upcoming HBO series “Silicon Valley.”

Welch made his Broadway debut in 1997 in the play “London Assurance” and received an Obie for “A Streetcar Named Desire.”

He played the Reverend Samuel Parris in the 2002 revival of Arthur Miller’s “The Crucible” on the Rialto and had a role in “Festen” in 2006. He also had numerous off-Broadway credits.

Other film credits include 2004’s “The Stepford Wives,” Sydney Pollack’s “The Interpreter,” “The Hoax,” “The Good Shepherd” and “Synecdoche, NY.” He was the narrator of “Vicky Cristina Barcelona.”

In 2010 he was a series regular on AMC’s cerebral spy drama “Rubicon” as Grant Test. He also guested on series including “The Sopranos,” “The Practice,” “Law & Order: Criminal Intent,” “Law & Order: SVU” and “The Good Wife.”

Born in Texas, Welch earned theater degrees from the U. of Dallas and the U. of Washington. While in Seattle he worked in the local theater scene and was also the singer in the Ottoman Bigwigs.

He is survived by his wife, Emma; a daughter; his mother and father; and a sister.

Donations may be made to his daughter’s education fund at Emma Roberts Welch c/o the Law Offices of Michael
W. Hubbard P.O. Box 180656 Dallas, TX 75218 or via Paypal.com to Christopherevanwelchmemorial@yahoo.com.

1. Miva Valle says:

My thoughts and prayers are with his beloved family, especially to his wife Emma and their little daughter June, I found Emma here http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/movies/emma-roberts-welch-is-actor-christopher-evan-welchs-wife/

2. SEGAbits says:

Christopher Evan Welch was not the voice actor of Tails, we have contacted his agent and they confirmed http://segabits.com/blog/2013/12/05/op-ed-was-christopher-evan-welch-the-same-christopher-welch-that-voiced-tails/

3. Tommy says:

Edwin, where in this article does it state his d.o.b.? How did you figure out he was 11 years old in 1993?

4. Edwin says:

Seriously, how does an actor die at 48 when the first role he has is at the age of 11 in 1993, 20 years ago mind you. Did these journalists even do their homework before reporting this story, or even their math? Somebody needs to be sent back to grade school.

R.I.P. Both Tails and Luigi (Danny Wells)

• Chloe Juliet says:

Geezus, get a grip and a persepctive. Pay your respects and stop howling about a mis-reported age.

Meanwhile, RIP, Mr. Welch. I don’t think I have ever seen you perform, but I am certain that it’s my loss.

5. Archie says:

One of the brightest, funniest, most talented friends I’ve had the great pleasure of having in my life.

Way too soon, Welch.

You left the World a better place.

My deepest sympathy to Emma and little June.

Much love,

Arch

6. Archie says:

One of the brightest, funniest, most talented friend I’ve had the great pleasure of having in my life.

Way to soon, Welch.

You left the World a better place.

My deepest sympathy to Emma and little June.

Much love,

Arch

7. linda n says:

I think he was only 31

8. Kylmar says:

I don’t think he was that old. If he voiced Tails in 1993 who had a child’s voice, he’d be in his 20s or early 30s.

9. Denise Stegall says:

I went to high school with Chris and was lucky enough to participate in drama with him. He was a very gifted actor even then starring in many productions and winning state wide competitions. He was so funny and talented, I’m very sad to hear of his passing. Rest in peace.

10. Leecia Manning says:

Before going to The University of Washington, Chris was a reigning king of the drama department at The University of Dallas, where he elevated the bar for all of us who had the good fortune to be in plays with him there. Extreme wit, comic genius, intellectual acumen–and dedication to the craft of acting that was way beyond his then-tender years. The only grace in this horrible news is that he was able to squeeze more out of 48 years on earth than most actors–or people in general–ever do.

11. Judith Shahn says:

Chris was in the first graduating class that I taught in the Professional Actor Training Program at The University of Washington. His untimely death is a tragedy for him, for his family, for those of us who knew him and for his audiences – past, and future, who will miss his particular brand of himself that he brought to everything. Rest in Peace.

12. Shelley Reynolds says:

Christopher Evan Welch made his debut in my world in 1989 behind the MUSIC and DRAMATIC ARTS Building on the gorgeous University of Washington campus on my first day of Grad School. I was too nervous to partake in the meet and greet picnic and when he saw me standing alone spiralling a football in the air to myself, he walked up and said ” I`m Chris I`m from Dallas How are you doing Do you wanna throw the ball? ” Loved him ever since. His spirit resides within every true leather football,.. green blade of grass….shot of Ouzo….game of cards…perfect Poem….
    and proscenium arch on earth…. and then some.

13. David says:

Rest in peace, my friend.