Charlie Hunnam Speaks Out, Post-‘Fifty Shades’

Thesp to focus on work, 'family stuff'

Charlie Hunnam has finally broken his silence since dropping the bombshell that he is no longer tied down to play billionaire S&M aficionado Christian Grey in the “Fifty Shades of Grey” movie.

At an event benefiting One Heart Source Education Programs in Burbank, Calif., the “Sons of Anarchy” star told E! News how he’s been doing since falling out of the pic.

“I am just really concentrating on work. It’s been a really busy time,” he said, adding that “”I have had some family stuff going on, so just trying to stay focused and stay positive and keep trying to do a good job at work and be with my family and stay positive.”

According to E!, the British actor’s father died this spring.

Hunnam is finishing season six of “Anarchy,” which is confirmed to be the FX biker drama’s penultimate season. Universal claimed Hunnam’s “Fifty Shades” exit was due to schedule conflicts.

“When I wrap the show, I am going to go to England and see my people and then I have a film that I am doing with Guillermo [del Toro],” Hunnam explained at the event. “So I am going to go and do that and concentrate on the final seasons of ‘Sons.'”

The del Toro film is horror thriller “Crimson Peak,”which set to shoot in early 2014.  Hunnam also starred in del Toro’s mega-budget “Pacific Rim.”

Dakota Johnson is still slated to play the “Fifty Shades” female lead, Anastasia Steele. Variety previously reported that, despite Hunnam’s fallout, the film is expected to make its August 1 release date.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 6

Leave a Reply

6 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. S. Koester says:

    Congratulations Charlie you did the right thing. You are so much better than this new film. Your work in Undeclared, Nicholas Nickleby & Sons speaks for itself. Your talent far exceeds anyone’s ability to remove clothing.

  2. NotoriousTV says:

    I think he pulled out because he realized what a mistake it was. The book’s not famous for being intelligent or written well; it’s famous for being smut. I have no desire to read or watch it. Good for you Charlie, hold onto that dignity.

  3. blip says:

    He wasn’t dropped. He found the ON switch for his brain and got out while he could. Not to mention: they weren’t paying him nearly enough for what was sure to be a career-destroying part in a crap movie.

  4. Just Confused says:

    Be interesting if once this piece of DRECK does get made it turns out to be a FLOP!

    Would serve UNIVERSAL right for compromising their standards just to shovel in an easy bushel of “dead presidents.”

  5. Michael Anthony says:

    This film is a disaster waiting to happen. The fans are so “wedded” to what they think the characters should look like, that they go after those that don’t meet their “ideal” with a vengeance. The perfect actor could be right in front of their eyes and they would refuse to consider because of their looks. Its the same type of fan who expects the film to mirror the book. Sure, but then you’d have a 5 hour film.
    Secondly, your asking actors to do hardcore scenes. Something a lot of actors don’t want to do. And if the film bombs, it could ruin their career. Hollywood is full of actors whose career was ruined by appearing in a huge bomb. And most of those had a high sexual content. Showgirls anyone??

  6. Jim says:

    I feel sorry for this Charlie Hunnam! Everyone thinks he’s wrong for the part because he’s nobody! And his life is being threaten for taking role, now he’s turned down.

    SHUT UP!!! He deserves a chance! Double for Dakota!

More Film News from Variety

Loading