Bong Joon-ho Hints at ‘Snowpiercer’ Discord

Bong Joon-ho, director of "Snowpiercer'

English-language Korean film gets special outing in Busan

BUSAN — South Korean director Bong Joon-ho made it abundantly clear that he is not happy with having his hit film “Snowpiercer” recut by The Weinstein Company.

Speaking both before and after a gala screening of the dark sci-fi drama at the Busan festival on Monday night, Bong made a point of calling out to any North Americans, Brits and Australians to let them know that this would be only chance to see the film as he intended it to be watched.

While Bong’s English-language picture now has firm release dates in France (October), Taiwan and Japan (February), he said that the final cut of the film in English-speaking territories lies with The Weinstein Company. “We are still in discussions about the cut, but it is clear that this is the only director’s cut you will be able to see,” Bong said.

Bong did not provide details of his differences with TWC and understatedly said from the stage that the version for English-language release would be “a little bit different,” but sources close to the director say that privately he is furious. He has been quoted in other media as saying that up to 20 minutes are to be cut.

The film was a surprise and substantial hit in Bong’s native Korea, where it was released on Aug. 1 and has so far gathered an audience of 9.8 million, or just shy of a quarter of nthe Korean population, for a gross of $61.5 million.

Filed Under:

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 3

Leave a Reply

3 Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  1. The Nose of Nicolas Cage! says:

    Just boycott any future film production with Harvey Weinstein’s name attached to it. That will get the message across the globe.

  2. The Nose of Nicolas Cage! says:

    It’s quite funny how Harvey Weinstein doesn’t insist on these heavy cuts for Quentin Tarantino films?

  3. MrFurious says:

    When I read the headline, my immediate thought was ‘I bet Harvey Weinstein is involved”.

More Film News from Variety

Loading