Ben Affleck Is the New Batman

Batman-Superman feature to hit theaters July 17, 2015

Ben Affleck is Batman.

The actor will replace Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne in the upcoming untitled Batman-Superman feature for Warner Bros., the studio announced Thursday.

Affleck becomes the eighth actor to play the Caped Crusader, following Bale, George Clooney and Michael Keaton.

“We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some,” WB president Greg Silverman said in a statement.

Batman Backlash: Ben Affleck Has Nothing on Michael Keaton

Directed by “Man of Steel” filmmaker Zack Snyder, the Batman-Superman feature will open worldwide on July 17, 2015, with Henry Cavill, Amy Adams and Diane Lane reprising their roles.

“Man of Steel,” released this past June, has earned over $650 million at the global box office.

PHOTOS: Actors Who Have Played Batman

“Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne,” Snyder said in a statement. “I can’t wait to work with him.”

The announcement of a Batman-Superman film was revealed last month at Comic-Con to much excitement of fanboys, who will surely be watching as the studio begins to assemble its Justice League.

SEE ALSO: Superman and Batman to Team Up in Movie

The irony of Thursday’s news is that at one point Warner Bros. was interested in having Affleck direct the “Justice League” movie and his participation in this film will now spur interest if whether his casting means a possibility of directing that film.

The Boston native recently upped his Hollywood power when he won the Best Picture Oscar for “Argo.”

Affleck, repped by WME, can be seen next in Fox and New Regency’s thriller “Runner Runner.”

1. Renee Cooper says:

Wow DC. You’ll never catch up to Marvel with Ben Affleck bad move. He is NO Robert Downey Jr. !!!

2. PresidentBarackObama says:

OMG, Ben Affleck sucks and his acting is shit. Doesn’t anyone remember Dare Devil? Not only is his acting shit, but he doesn’t look anything like Bruce Wayne or Batman face wise. Who was the dumb ass that thought this was a good choice?

3. Eric says:

Bad bad bad bad bad bad oh did I say bad choice. He can’t act. Have you ever seen any movie Ben has done that you believed any part of his character? Or do you just see Ben trying to act?
    It’s a shame, I wanted to see the success of the Superman and Justice League movies.

4. I’m really disappointed not to see this role go to Joseph Gordon Levitt after his performance in The Dark Knight Rises. I’ve never cared much for Affleck as an actor — I much prefer him when he’s directing and acting in his own work. I just don’t get this casting.

5. Russell says:

When they first talked about Ben Afflack directing and possibly having a role in the justice league movie, I immediately thought The Flash… But never Bruce Wayne!!! The guy does not have the persona to pull off either Bruce Wayne or Batman. He’s a great actor but this isn’t the right choice for this character. Bad, bad move… Henry Cavill far out shines him in terms of playing a superhero and for this movie one guy outshining the other isn’t what you want. I’d rather it be Joseph Gordon levitt, keep a nice spin off going of Nolan’s masterful franchise.

6. Diogenes says:

I’m glad Affleck got the role and posted relevant links and commentary about it in my good morning blog post today: http://diogenesdoggery.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/good-news-for-your-good-morning-4/

7. Gabriel Martin says:

No one will ever beat Bale as the batman, casting Ben Affleck sounds like desperation just because he won a one-off Oscar and will ruin what Bale has done.
    I say start a vote to get Bale back no matter what then hand in results to WB, they have to listen to the fans because its them who will make it happen also. ;)

8. SJStoyle says:

get of Afflecks tip. He’ll be fine.

9. Valisterius says:

Right when dc had the chances to catch up to marvel they make Ben Affleck Batman!?!? Next thing you know Nicholas Cage will be the super villain.

10. A suggestion to WB I am passing along from a friend: Man of Steel is actually set a few years after Dark Knight. Gordon-Levitt as a matured Nightwing. Ben Affleck is a less-mannered Terry McGinnis Batman. That’s right! Christian Bale doesn’t reprise his role as Batman, he reprises Bruce Wayne! Make it happen.

11. Anony Mous says:

Might as well call it ”Gigli 2”…

12. RedRiver says:

Christian Bale is Batman as fare as I’m concerned. Ben Affleck has a steep hill to climb. Good luck.

13. Duane Rochester says:

Ben Affleck as The Batman? I can see an instance where I’ll save $16.00. Let me guess? Jennifer Lopez as The Catwoman. Incredibly disappointing casting choice.

14. Camila says:

Christian Bale is the Batman Soul ! We need Bale as a Batman

15. Gary says:

TAKE ACTION GUYS. SIGN AND CIRCULATE THIS PETITION AND LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/511/165/921/tell-warner-brothers-to-remove-ben-affleck-as-batman

16. Nick says:

Affleck works for Batman, but I think he’d have made a far better Green Lantern/ Hal Jordan. I don’t see why everyone’s crying over this. He’s not that bad of an actor.

17. bruce says:

Batman does’t have to have a great actor,Batman has to have a presence when he inters a room,Bruce Wayne needs to be just as dominate when he inters a room,plus good looks. While handsome enough,not big enough,hardly dominating ! Remember Daredevil was a slim man,just not big enough.

18. Ernest says:

Why not a black Batman? Jamie Foxx?

19. Sky Lightyear says:

If you want to see the extent of Ben Affleck’s acting skills just watch the part of Armageddon where he cries…enough said! Hollywood do what you need to do, suck up to Christian Bale and bring him back! Or use a new guy so at least we have a chance at a decent movie. I guarantee if you stay with Ben Affleck you will lose money!

20. Jarrett says:

I WILL NOT SEE this movie!!

21. kevin smith will direct jla movie now so. lol

22. hes now played daredevil and superman (sort of).not my choice of batman to square for me

23. oliver says:

To me Mr. Ben Affleck just ruined his reputation, which he regained only recently with his movies…

24. Mark Davis says:

“Affleck was the bomb in phantoms”

:-)

25. Josh Brolin, Anson Mount, Luke Evans, Gerard Butler, Karl Urban, Ray Stevenson, Jim Caviezel, Michael Fassbender etc etc, but Ben Affleck? Good call WB, you killed it before it even began.

26. WPBouchie says:

So does that mean Matt Damon’s going to be Robin? (Afleck for Batman…Yeah, Right.)

• Sean Alder says:

Is this joke going to die soon? You’re like the 80,000th person I’ve read this lame stupid joke from.

• SadDay says:

…. Not everyone reads all 80,000+ comments to be sure they don’t say something someone else may have already said…

Now please, don’t further ruin this already sad day (Ben Affleck as Batman… WHY!?!?!) by being needlessly rude and insulting. =-P

27. CigarBuddha says:

I have seen greatness in actors, and I have seen those who don’t possess half the skills many actors have out there today. I have always admired Gary Oldman felt he never received the credit he deserves, really appreciate Timothy Olyphant, am at a lost for words with Joseph Gordon Levitt (he nails it every time!), Ryan Gosling (he can play it all)! Yes, I’m leaving out quite a few, but I can’t be here all day! I’m not saying Ben Affleck is a bad actor, but he sure ain’t in my top 100’s! Ben Affleck is not Batman! It is what it is! As for Heath Ledger, I was never the one to say he couldn’t play the Joker. I knew when I saw him in Brokeback Mountain he had the gift! Ben Affleck does not have what it takes to make us believe he can carry on the Batman legacy. Warner Bros needs to change this before it is to late!

28. Brad Lindsey says:

So Dare Devil is Batman?

29. Hungover&Holding says:

Remember Ledger/joker people! Give the dude the benefit of the doubt, he is on the upswing nowadays, I’m just saying….maybe he pulls it off.

30. juan javier reinoso says:

I agree, ben affleck is a good actor with good and terrible movies in his career, but to think that playing the batman (the baddest mofo of all times) is the best for him, I would consider it an abomination, is like signing up metallica to perform the beatles, I love the beatles and metallica but metallica could never never never perform the beatles. And the same story goes for affleck, I liked him in argo and good will hunting but come on, he is not good for the batman, the only batman there can be for this decade or 2 more is christian bale.

31. C says:

And another thing, what does the Daredevil movie have to do with Batman. That was a long time ago, and a different director

32. C says:

Awsome.choice. He is a good actor and finally the right height and weight. Who wants a Batman that is 5.10 and 90 pounds.

33. Christi Lord says:

I was hoping the torch would be passed to Tom Hardy! I like Ben, but he just doesn’t seem right for this role. Not after Christian Bale.

34. Bill J says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

35. Poe says:

Wes Bentley should have been cast. DAMN!!!!

36. Henry Torres says:

People complained about Anne Hathaway being Catwoman and she was the best one ever in my opinion. Just wait and see. Maybe he will actually workout and get some muscle for this role.

37. Elfego says:

I have only one word for the doubters here: Dogma. Ben Affleck as a fallen angel Hell-bent (Hah! Irony! Get it?????) on the destruction of the universe. Anyone who can watch the last fifteen minutes of Dogma and still *not* believe that Affleck could pull off Batman is seriously misguided!

That said, I still Joseph Gordon Leavitt would have been the better, at least from a continuity standpoint with the previous Dark Knight movies.

• Davey Crocket says:

Dogma was a comedy. Thinking of him in that film, and imaging him as Bat Man gives me zero faith. And, there’s ZERO continuity between this and the Bale franchise. There isn’t supposed to be. It’s over. Done. Wayne goes into hiding. Levitt’s character is left to assume the role. That’s it. File it in your memory along with Keaton as Batman and the previous Superman films.

38. Derek Barolet says:

Have these guys never seen Daredevil?

• Sean Alder says:

Oh you anti-Obama conservative zombie people are so creepy! What the hell does this have to do with your disgusting right wing politics? Get lost! Like everywhere else you go, nobody wants you in this discussion.

39. Aida Martinez says:

Want Christian Bale back as Batman! Ben Affleck as Batman? UUGGHHHH No way, wont see it if true.
    I really hope this is just a rumor and not true ……………

40. Bruce says:

Great, Batman is now your basic metrosexual. Could we let Clint Eastwood direct and cast the next one. Maybe then “superhero” will mean something.

41. Garrett Weston says:

Bad casting. I don’t believe millionaire Bruce Wayne wore a lousy-looking toupee

42. Brad says:

Stop whining. Affleck will be just fine. Hr may not be as good as Bale, but he will do the role justice. People were saying the same negative things when Ledger was cast as the Joker, and look how that turned out. Yes, Daredevil was horrible, but look how far he’s come in his career. Did we forget about The Town, Argo, and even his first role in Good Will Hunting? Lets scrap his phenomenal roles and focus soley on his bad ones, that’s using your head. EVERY actor has a few bad roles in even worse movies.Bale did Reign of Fire and Equillibrium. Affleck will do fine.

• Derek Barolet says:

Yeah both those “bad” movies you just listed for Bale are awesome actually….and Good will hunting was good not because of Affleck…He isn’t superhero material that’s everyone’s point.

• Grayson Oake says:

Ok Good Will Hunting was a great movie, which is why Matt Damon’s career skyrocketed afterward. Ben however went on to star in gripping films such as Forces of Nature, Pear Harbor, Changing Lanes, The Sum of All Fears, Paycheck (Bourne with Ben), Jersey Girl, Surviving Christmas, and the infamous Daredevil… I will admit, I enjoyed The Town.. But that’s just a bad ass story.. And I’m sure it could have been better with someone else.. As for Fargo, that was in my opinion one of the most overrated movies this past year. The point is, they HAD to be able to find someone darker, tougher, and at least less mainstream.. No matter what anyone says, people will see Ben Afflec, not Bruce Wayne…When I see his big dumb body in that batman suit I won’t know whether to laugh or cry… The dork from Teen Wolf would have been better haha!

43. Josh says:

This was a horrible decision!! I was excited when I heard a rumor of Jeffrey Dean Morgan playing Batman and now with Affleck I have lost all interest.

44. Grayson Oake says:

Seriously!? I’ve been waiting for a decent superman saga for my entire life and when they FINALLY make some headway (man of steel was far from perfect) they decide to cast the actor behind possibly the worst superhero movie of all time as Bat Man!? I couldn’t be less excited about this film-crippling news.. Way to go, you just ruined another superman movie. Maybe Big Ben will add some of that “Oscar Power” and play the role blind.. What a twist! At least then I might be able to squeak out a laugh between my sobs of disgust.. Fucking Hollywood.. They NEVER learn.

45. Frosty says:

Action blockbusters Affleck has starred in and RottenTomatoes score:

Sum of All Fears 59
    Paycheck 27
    Pearl Harbor 25
    Daredevil 45
    Armageddon 39

And Morgan Freeman is the only reason Sum of All Fears broke 50; somehow Affleck managed to ruin that franchise too. But besides his acting deficiencies, for Batman I think you need a relative unknown actor, someone the audience can believe really is Batman. Inevitably, the audience will think “Oh look, there’s Ben Affleck trying to be Batman.” While this problem is pretty much inherent in Hollywood, I think Batman deserves more. He’s a symbol who transcends generations, represents an ideal with almost universal appeal. But casting a famous actor just makes it harder for the picture to succeed artistically; it’s now that much more difficult to convince us of Batman’s reality, or to convey his depth of character, if the producers simultaneously do everything possible to make it look like they’re just trying to milk the franchise for every last penny they can get.

46. John Davis says:

They cast the wrong “Daredevil” actor! They should have cast Colin Farrell as Batman.

47. matt says:

If they go through with this, and it isn’t a hoax, I know a lit of people who would refuse to see it, myself included. This is almost as bad as giving clooney another shot at it, just no.

48. Tehr-Ree says:

Everyone praising Bale and deriding Affleck for “Daredevil” are completely forgetting (or ignoring) Bale’s appearance in “Equilibrium.” I’m willing to cut Bale some slack for being in one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen, so I think others ought to forgive Affleck for being in “Daredevil.” “Daredevil” may not have been in the same league as many of Marvel’s other films during the past 10+ years, but it looks like a masterpiece compared to the joke of a film that is “Equilibrium.” I will be seeing this new film, and I will go in with an open mind.

49. Dog woman says:

Ok, it is big big mistake, but WB announce already so they are not change cast until BA has conflict. We know he is trying to be a good actor ? He is trying to working with good director but he does not have acting skill. I think I suggest change voice, study act, getting acting teacher on set, if he does, I think little better than previous act?

50. Marc Shakter says:

Whoever decided on him for batman…. Single handedly made batman jump the shark, and signed the death warrant of Batman as a franchise..